• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Vulva size

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
Kind of an odd topic but me and a buddie were visiting about cattle, fertility, testicle size etc. He mentioned the size of his Angus heifers vulva seems to be getting smaller over the years and was thinking it might be a sign of shrinking fertility as well. I noticed my RA heifers vulvas were smaller than my Salers. Anyone else notice? I havn't had Reds long enough to tell a difference in them but my Salers havn't shrunk as well as I can remember. It is an English thing or are all breeds shrinking or is it an isolated deal with his herd? Maybe we need a vulva size epd. Not!

I'm not saying you have Freemartin just that when buying Heifers I can spot a Freemartin that way - an Old Vet 50 years ago taught me to spot them - - seams like the best looking Heifer might be a Freemartin - - They tend to look a little male and their vulva looks smaller - - it's hard to put words to it but I can spot them. :shock:

Red Robin, Without a doubt when we are dealing with purebred cows of any breed, they are inbred to a certian degree, maybe more than any other breed with angus. When you have an overload of homozygous genes the first trait to suffer is reproductive preformance. I do not know that we are to that point yet, but the scenario that you laid out along with documented proof that there is a lowered conception rate with purebred cows as compared to a true F1 may show we are heading that direction.

Angus Breeder said:
Red Robin, Without a doubt when we are dealing with purebred cows of any breed, they are inbred to a certian degree, maybe more than any other breed with angus. When you have an overload of homozygous genes the first trait to suffer is reproductive preformance. I do not know that we are to that point yet, but the scenario that you laid out along with documented proof that there is a lowered conception rate with purebred cows as compared to a true F1 may show we are heading that direction.
That is all true AB. Another consideration is the fact Angus females are neater in general than most other breeds in respect to loose hide. Some of it could just be that. As purebred breeders though we need to be aware and try to keep a female look in all aspects , not just the throat latch.

I'm not saying you have Freemartin just that when buying Heifers I can spot a Freemartin that way - an Old Vet 50 years ago taught me to spot them - - seams like the best looking Heifer might be a Freemartin - - They tend to look a little male and their vulva looks smaller - - it's hard to put words to it but I can spot them.

Regarding Freemartins.....we've only had one, and she never ever had any teats! Is that typical?

Northern Rancher said:
A little moccasin doesn't mean an empty teepee!!!

Chief Standing Ready

:roll: some one take the bottle away from NR

Well geez what we gonna start measuring next lol. Turn a fertile bull out and cull the heifers not bred will take care of all your real or perceived breeding problems in short order.

Northern Rancher said:
Well geez what we gonna start measuring next lol. Turn a fertile bull out and cull the heifers not bred will take care of all your real or perceived breeding problems in short order.
What ???? No one is wanting to measure them.

OldDog/NewTricks said:
I'm not saying you have Freemartin just that when buying Heifers I can spot a Freemartin that way - an Old Vet 50 years ago taught me to spot them - - seams like the best looking Heifer might be a Freemartin - - They tend to look a little male and their vulva looks smaller - - it's hard to put words to it but I can spot them. :shock:

That "One Thing"
Some Animal People Learn to read the animals minds and to know what they are thinking.

Maybe that's what 'Curley' was talking about in City Slickers.

He said:
I didn't try to do this, it has just happens!

When he was asked:
How'd you do that? - or - How'd you know that?

Curley would say:
When you get that "One Thing"!

Asked, "When will that be?"
Curley would answer –
"You'll know when you have it! You have no idea how good it is to know and understand what that "One thing" is.
No one can teach you, tell you or show you

Whenever I see a post on ranchers.net with a title like "Vulva size" or "need semen" I have to laugh, because this is where the worlds of online ranch forums and hardcore fetish forums converge. :shock: :lol:

Our local livestock supply distributor was trying to order jack-knives over the internet. I think he said he was trying to find "knivesxx" but got into some wild stuff before he found the knives he was looking for. :wink:

my fifth grader wanted to look up info on one of the games he has. it is made by the company " Naughty Dogg" well....... he just typed in naughty on the search bar and a whole lot of "stuff" ( as he called it ) came up.

thank heavens he was smart enough to just click out and come tell us he got into some bad stuff......

Imagine how disappointed some pervert will be when looking up "need semen" or "vulva size" and he comes across Ranchers.net! :shock: :lol:

YOu're right Mp, all of my emails from ABS and Semex end up in the garbage because the filters grab them and flag them as XXX

sorry but to get back on topic sort of, I think a lot of it has to do for the mass selection of calving ease and then forgetting to also select for large pelvics. We haven't noticed anything of the sort in our predominately angus herd but we select for calving ease and large pelvics. Easiest way like I said before is my grandpa's they have it or die policy. But we have recently started measuring pelvics and our heifers have big enough pelvics at breeding time to pass 90 # calves. Not that we are going to make them but they could if need be.

Latest posts