• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

W E A T H E R

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I spent the better part of the day pulling folks out of dirfts around the farm.. No big deal really but I finally just started driving the tractor around thef arm with the bucket on it and breaking the dang drifts myself since the plow many couldn't keep up.. I'm sure I shouldn't have but the short time it took me to do that was better than getting dressed, starting the tractor or truck up., hooking them up and pulling them out, undressing and repeating 3 hours later.. I don't know how much snow we got because it just drifted all over the place but I do know some of the drifts are a good 5 feet in the middle of them.. One is working on pushing 6 feet against our guardrail coral.. Fun... fun... I miss spring :cry:

For the first time today since ...who knows when...we had SUNSHINE!
Of course with the clear skies comes the cold temps...but afterall this is Nebraska..!

A128Cold-Cows.jpg

Cold Critters

A127Frosty-Frame.jpg

Frosty Framed Windmill

A125Snowy-Weeds.jpg

Real Frosty Weeds

A124HayLine.jpg

Fresh Hay...

24 Below this morning-- Has dropped down to 27 Below as the sun raises...NE wind and windchill of about 40 Below....Don't think I'm going to even try doing much until noon...Hopefully the sun will warm things up a little- altho they're only predicting a high of 4 Below...

Oldtimer said:
24 Below this morning-- Has dropped down to 27 Below as the sun raises...NE wind and windchill of about 40 Below....Don't think I'm going to even try doing much until noon...Hopefully the sun will warm things up a little- altho they're only predicting a high of 4 Below...
We're about exactly the same...brrr its days like this you wonder just what in the heck your ansestors were thinking :(

Had to bring in a calf this morning. not sure why, she isn't very young but the blowing snow really took it out of her. She is sitting in the bathroom at the other house right now ith a heater blowing on her. Ears are pretty frost bit and all but she is at least trying to get up now and looking a lot more alert.. Can't tell how much snow we got yesterday because it just piled up everywhere so the ground is either bare or coverd by feet of snow.

This darn bull that got out last year.. I thought he was only out for a day but I must have been wrong.. Not many calves but dang are they spread out over 3 weeks.

Mrs.Greg said:
Oldtimer said:
We're about exactly the same...brrr its days like this you wonder just what in the heck your ansestors were thinking :(

I just got back from hauling cows to the stockyards-- Never did see the temp get above 6 Below, but it didn't feel too bad as the wind went down and the sun has been shining....

Predicting 15 Below for tonite- but depending on the weather site you look at they say tommorrow could get 25-35 ABOVE :D :clap:

+4 today...crazy how the weather can change soooo much in one day....its beautiful out there :D

its +3 here but the wind is gusting to 70 km/hr. With the foot of snow we had in the last week its like a blizzard outside! The school bus got stuck in a huge drift on the gravel road today. Very Crazy weather it was -23 here yesterday morning.

ksvdberg said:
its +3 here but the wind is gusting to 70 km/hr. With the foot of snow we had in the last week its like a blizzard outside! The school bus got stuck in a huge drift on the gravel road today. Very Crazy weather it was -23 here yesterday morning.

Beautiful here today-- Sun shining- little wind- temp is 23 Above--I sat at the sales ring for a couple hours today-but it was just too nice to stay inside- left after my cows sold.... they are predicting 3-4 inches of new snow for tonite and tomorrow--But at least the temp is supposed to get near 35 ABOVE tomorrow.... :D

Looks like they have blizzard warnings for parts of western SD and ND tho....

It's been an average of 32 below at night for the past 18 nights. :roll: :roll: :roll: ENOUGH ALREADY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Chinook is supposed to get here tomorrow. The wind is blowing like crazy already. It's not blowing the snow though, because it's too hard and frozen! You can walk on any snowbank and not make a dent. There's a spot in one corral where the cows could walk right over the fence if they decided to give it a try. Good igloo snow. :wink:

Warm weather won't come too soon for me. Since Tuesday morning we've had 20 calves born. They've all had to cycle through the barn. It's warm enough in there, but the trick is to have the proper cow inside when she calves. That means lots of checking in the dark for surprises. You know it's cold when you can see the flashlight batteries fade as you do your rounds. :?

After about 24 hours the calves are good to go out to the big shed, as long as their ears are good and dry. It was quite remarkable yesterday when it was 22 below in the afternoon, to watch those calves running and jumping all over the place out there. Lots of straw, and room in the shed for mama to come in and help warm things, and they're a happy bunch.

We, on the other hand are a tired pair. :?

It will all be worth it in the fall though. That's what keeps us going, trudging around in the dark. Last fall, when the prices were still pretty good, the big early calves we sold were the money makers.

I hear ya, Kato. Doesn't seem like fun now when it's been so cold, but it's well worth it come fall. We've been doing the same as you, in and out of the barn within 24 hours. Good news though, the warm weather is here! And it'll get to you, just be patient.

Latest posts