• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wal Mart and the BEEF they sell

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta,
I've done the same thing. I thought it would be alot easier to buy meat for when we were in town for school rather than bring it from the country. Oh my gosh it was sooo bad... I ended up putting it in the crockpot with barbeque sauce... I have to agree with OT on this one....... Let the consumers know what, where, when and why...... As a beef producer it just fries me to know end to know the product that I raise is not marketed to it's ability.... It's who ya are, numbers and if you wear a cowboy hat...... I've seen it........

Nothing like buying Hamburger that is 100% beef with beef flavorings... That is what I found the last time I bought beef at Walmart...

I always thought Albertsons did a good jpb labeling and trainning their employees in the meat departments to at least know what was what.. Of course, I am a bit biased since I worked at the Alberstons in Bozeman 6-7 years ago in their meat department....

I wouldn't compare the beef that Walmart is selling to chicken.. I would compare it to what they did to Pork.. Trying to make extra lean cuts of beef more palatable to either 1) make "better" beef out of cheaper carcasses or 2) try to capitalize on the quest for ultra lean meats that some people believe to be the healthy cuts... I knew people who would purchase a select petite sirloin over a choice loin cut even if the prices were the same... There is no accounting for taste I suppose. Sometimes I think the goal is to make a ullet proof steak that no matter how much you cook it it won't dry out... I think the results are an utter failure.

As far as knowing better about where and what beef to buy... My wife won't even buy it anymore... Says I'm to picky and better pick it out myself.. :oops: of course that doesn't stop her from enjoying it when I cook :D

One of Wal-marts top guns gave internet talks to producers through MSU Extension Service last year. I didn't go, but did hear what was said from GUESS WHO? Our Supermarket manager here in town.

Sounds like Walmart wants to dictate how and what kind of beef we raise so they can sell a consistent product. Thay want to dictate to us, but they don't want to pay any more to get what they want.

If what they are selling is consistent, but not good by our standards, how will we benefit from that?

I think a spokesman for the producer (Beef Board, R-Calf or whoever) should go back (and OUR) customers. Selling no-taste beef will do them no good or us either. They are trying to please their customers who are on a tight budget so they want to sell meat cheaper. But cheaper is not always the best bargain for the money. JMHO

P.S. I am no fan of Wal-mart. I have also never heard of R-calf doing anything to help us on the demand side of things. This is where the National Beef Board and/or the Beef Checkoff comes into play. I'd be happy if R-Calf would take some of this type of thing on, however, if they could do it without enlisting anti-meat people and giving us more bad publicity. If R-calf has been doing something to help the demand side of beef, good for them and I'd like to know what they have done.

Wal Mart had a sale on pork chops, $1.49/lb I went and asked to buy the whole loin, bone and all, as we have a meat saw and could cut our own chops or take out the loin. The meat man there had NO IDEA what I was talking about. After trying to explain what I wanted for about 10 minutes, I learned that wal mart does not cut any meat there (other than bologna in the deli) that it all comes pre packaged!!!. Makes you wonder just how old the meat is before it gets to the consumer doesn't it?.

FarmDogMamma said:
Wal Mart had a sale on pork chops, $1.49/lb I went and asked to buy the whole loin, bone and all, as we have a meat saw and could cut our own chops or take out the loin. The meat man there had NO IDEA what I was talking about. After trying to explain what I wanted for about 10 minutes, I learned that wal mart does not cut any meat there (other than bologna in the deli) that it all comes pre packaged!!!. Makes you wonder just how old the meat is before it gets to the consumer doesn't it?.

YUP!! You got it. When I was there yesterday, all kinds of boxes labeled "TYSON", store workers placing the contents directly into the meat counter :?

I rarely go to WalMart, and I will be sure I will never be hurried enough to visit there again. NO WAY every buy ANY of their meat.

Every time we go to Albertson's, we check out the BEEF. Noticed the flank steak was over $7.00/lb, wanted to make a special marinade recipe with it, 'way too expensive, BUT thanks to your Beef Checkoff, that Fland Steak is worth some bucks when it used to be included in ground beef. Another "Value Added" cut. We like to visit with the meat cutter there, exchange info as far as prices, recipes, etc.

YUP! I'll bet if we tried to do that at WALMART that person unloading all those boxes of TYSON meats will look at me as if I came from the planet MARS.

Best way to buy a pig? Some of our 4-H kids have one or more not yet finished by fair time, are willing to sell them cheap PLUS finish feeding them. We usually can't afford them when sold at fair :cry:

Hanta Yo said:
Best way to buy a pig? Some of our 4-H kids have one or more not yet finished by fair time, are willing to sell them cheap PLUS finish feeding them. We usually can't afford them when sold at fair :cry:

I agree Hanta, usually all the 4-H kids have a few extra hogs...When my kids were in 4-H we butchered the extras for our own use- but now I usually try and get one at the 4-H sale as my way of donating to 4-H-- and I a couple times have bought a market lamb too, altho the rest of my family doesn't hanker to lamb as well as I do and I've had orders to keep my hands in my pockets at the lamb sale...

IL Rancher said:
Nothing like buying Hamburger that is 100% beef with beef flavorings... That is what I found the last time I bought beef at Walmart...

I always thought Albertsons did a good jpb labeling and trainning their employees in the meat departments to at least know what was what.. Of course, I am a bit biased since I worked at the Alberstons in Bozeman 6-7 years ago in their meat department....

I wouldn't compare the beef that Walmart is selling to chicken.. I would compare it to what they did to Pork.. Trying to make extra lean cuts of beef more palatable to either 1) make "better" beef out of cheaper carcasses or 2) try to capitalize on the quest for ultra lean meats that some people believe to be the healthy cuts... I knew people who would purchase a select petite sirloin over a choice loin cut even if the prices were the same... There is no accounting for taste I suppose. Sometimes I think the goal is to make a ullet proof steak that no matter how much you cook it it won't dry out... I think the results are an utter failure.

As far as knowing better about where and what beef to buy... My wife won't even buy it anymore... Says I'm to picky and better pick it out myself.. :oops: of course that doesn't stop her from enjoying it when I cook :D

If you worked at Albertson's 6-7 years ago in BOZEMAN, what the heck are you doing in ILLINOIS?? Did you have the job during college?? Just curious, I have roots in Illinois.

Besides all of us are very picky about our BEEF, from now on, until we kill one later this summer, we will get it from a butchers or from Albertsons.

I am preferential to Albertsons because Montana CattleWomen's Beef Education program is in conjunction with Albertsons. Good people to work with (Albertsons) This education program involves grades 7-12, for Home Ec classes, if they want to do a class in BEEF, they get their beef free of charge (have to account for it - how many students reached, etc etc) plus all the information supplied with the packet. Great program. Just some schools take advantage and don't realize this is money we request from Beef Council. Every dollar spent with CheckOff monies is accounted for here in Montana. We are fortunate we have a great working relationship with our Beef Council. We help them promote and educate about BEEF!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)

I am from Illinois and after being asked by my first college, Northwestern University, to take a break and get more serious about life I moved out to Montana with my than girlfiend, now wife, and attended Montana State as a range managment major... After a couple years of that I decided that I was wasting money because I still needed to grow up (I think I still do, lol) so I took a job at Albertsons to pay all my own bills, establish residency and go from there... About 2 months after establishing residency I found out that my future father in law had bought this place and we were going to be moving, if we wanted to. We weighed the options, working at Albertsons and waiting to do what we wanted to do, or move back to Illinois and do what we wanted to do... Hmmmm... Not as easy of a choice as I thought it would be, I loved Montana.

We still get overs from the 1031 exchange people in eastern Illinois all the time looking to buy and it is always floating around about moving back... But it won't happen.

When I was there we used to put together trays of meat for 4-h meat judging or something like that. Various cuts of various grades and such.. It was interesting.

IL Rancher said:
I am from Illinois and after being asked by my first college, Northwestern University, to take a break and get more serious about life I moved out to Montana with my than girlfiend, now wife, and attended Montana State as a range managment major... After a couple years of that I decided that I was wasting money because I still needed to grow up (I think I still do, lol) so I took a job at Albertsons to pay all my own bills, establish residency and go from there... About 2 months after establishing residency I found out that my future father in law had bought this place and we were going to be moving, if we wanted to. We weighed the options, working at Albertsons and waiting to do what we wanted to do, or move back to Illinois and do what we wanted to do... Hmmmm... Not as easy of a choice as I thought it would be, I loved Montana.

We still get overs from the 1031 exchange people in eastern Illinois all the time looking to buy and it is always floating around about moving back... But it won't happen.

When I was there we used to put together trays of meat for 4-h meat judging or something like that. Various cuts of various grades and such.. It was interesting.

Whereabouts in IL do you live? My family is from Sandwich, Oswego, Plano, DeKalb (I had several uncles, now deceased, used to raise seed corn (duh) and my mom and dad as kids used to be part of some of the detassling crews - that was in the 40's). I was 6 when we moved from IL to CO. (1962) Still, most of my family resides in IL. Great memories as a kid. My Immediate family lives in CO.

After the episode with WalMart, I feel the desire to do something about it. Don't know what yet, I'll figure it out. Just thinking about how most consumers don't know about grades, yield grades, etc. and don't know how to cook it scares the heck out of me...they will purchase a cheap piece of beef and not be happy with it. What will that do to our market? Demand for beef? I never realized this because I could sit comfortably at my own kitchen table and eat great beef we raised, and cooked ourselves. If the consumer could just taste that...

I guess this whole ordeal was meant to be and I need to act on it.

Hey, welcome aboard...enjoy your posts!! :D :D :D

Oldtimer said:
Hanta Yo said:
Oldtimer said:
Yep- We're acclimating the masses to generic, unlabeled, ungraded beef so they can be sold anything brought in from anywhere in the world :roll: ....

Just for your information, OT,

Packers need to find a pen of select steers/and or heifers for ole' WalMart. They make their deal. They get accused of underbuying American Beef when all The Packers want to do is purchase select beef for WalMart.

NOW, think about this
econ 101, R-calfers, etc, etc.

Do You Understand that the PACKER has orders for different grades of beef from everyone in the whole wide world??

They have to keep up with "killing" "select" beef for WalMart. They also have to keep up with "killing" beef for restaurants who want prime, choice.

They have to keep up with grocery store chains who want "choice" grade. Maybe you people need to go through a day's work with the hated Packers. You just might learn something

The pens of cattle who wouldn't grade choice , they go to WalMart. Those pens of cattle who will grade choice or prime, they go to their separate Restaurants or are sold to reputable grocery stores such as ALBERTSONS. If anyone wants to disagree with me, then you prove to me I'm wrong.

Yep- but wouldn't it be great if a consumer (like you) who went in looking for a good eating experience and a good piece of meat would have ALL the information available to help you make your choice-- Like a requirement that any added ingredients (like water or whatever was in there?) had to be clearly labeled (and not in small print)- that the grade quality and country of origin must also be clearly shown...Info that consumers (like you) could use to make a better informed decision and not end up with a bad beef eating experience.....

If we just keep throwing consumers out piles of generic beef in a bin- so that people forget what eating good beef is, I can see why after a while they would all go to chicken ( but Tyson doesn't care, they have the monopoly on that too :roll: ). And Walmart could care less if its beef or chicken they sell- good quality or not- as long as its cheap and keeps going thru their counters......

OT, we don't see eye-to-eye on everything, but I most certainly agree with you here. COOL won't do anything about it (just tell you what country it came from and I am a big advocate for that) I am for major
reform on packaging and labeling. ESPECIALLY want to see the GRADE on that piece of meat whether prime, choice, select, etc etc, and I'll tell you, CattleWomen are working hard at informing the public, also are MT StockGrowers, ANCW, NCBA. I sure wish R-Calf would do some of this...if they have so many members, then why not? You could reach so many more consumers!!

I grew up in Kane County, which is the county just to the East of Dekalb county.As a kid it was mostly farm country but now the only thing that most of the farm ground grows in the eastern part of that county is houses and strip malls. My dad used to work for Dekalb ag during the 80's. 1962 is a bit before my time :). We live off of I-80 about 30 miles east of the Mississipi (well, 30 miles as a crow flies) right on the border of Bureau and Henry counties.

Used to go to the sandwich fair when I was in junior high.. .. If I had known than what I was going to be doing now maybe I would have paid more attention to the exhibits... Mostly I was paying attention to the exhibitors :oops:

Hanta, The first time I got beef from Walmart I was so disgusted with myself and with Walmart that I promised myself I woulld never buy meat from that place again period. It has advanced to groceries and other thigns as well... I understand the desire to make beef more affordable/ less scary for the masses to cook. To me beef is about the easiest thing to cook but I have been cooking since I was 9 so it is not a big deal to me. What I don't think is a good idea is removing the one thing beef really has going for it when compared to the other big proteins and that is FLAVOR. I am sure there is a large population base that just doesn't care about it or notice the difference but I too share your concern that if we go to far in the direction of "walmart" type beef than we will be in real trouble.....

Hanta Yo said:
Oldtimer said:
Hanta Yo said:
Just for your information, OT,

Packers need to find a pen of select steers/and or heifers for ole' WalMart. They make their deal. They get accused of underbuying American Beef when all The Packers want to do is purchase select beef for WalMart.

NOW, think about this
econ 101, R-calfers, etc, etc.

Do You Understand that the PACKER has orders for different grades of beef from everyone in the whole wide world??

They have to keep up with "killing" "select" beef for WalMart. They also have to keep up with "killing" beef for restaurants who want prime, choice.

They have to keep up with grocery store chains who want "choice" grade. Maybe you people need to go through a day's work with the hated Packers. You just might learn something

The pens of cattle who wouldn't grade choice , they go to WalMart. Those pens of cattle who will grade choice or prime, they go to their separate Restaurants or are sold to reputable grocery stores such as ALBERTSONS. If anyone wants to disagree with me, then you prove to me I'm wrong.

Yep- but wouldn't it be great if a consumer (like you) who went in looking for a good eating experience and a good piece of meat would have ALL the information available to help you make your choice-- Like a requirement that any added ingredients (like water or whatever was in there?) had to be clearly labeled (and not in small print)- that the grade quality and country of origin must also be clearly shown...Info that consumers (like you) could use to make a better informed decision and not end up with a bad beef eating experience.....

If we just keep throwing consumers out piles of generic beef in a bin- so that people forget what eating good beef is, I can see why after a while they would all go to chicken ( but Tyson doesn't care, they have the monopoly on that too :roll: ). And Walmart could care less if its beef or chicken they sell- good quality or not- as long as its cheap and keeps going thru their counters......

OT, we don't see eye-to-eye on everything, but I most certainly agree with you here. COOL won't do anything about it (just tell you what country it came from and I am a big advocate for that) I am for major
reform on packaging and labeling. ESPECIALLY want to see the GRADE on that piece of meat whether prime, choice, select, etc etc, and I'll tell you, CattleWomen are working hard at informing the public, also are MT StockGrowers, ANCW, NCBA. I sure wish R-Calf would do some of this...if they have so many members, then why not? You could reach so many more consumers!!

I agree that consumers need to be educated to grades and the markings they find on meat-- and that grades and All info should be available to them openly and clearly on the packaging...

As far as R-CALF working with the checkoff- I think it is coming...The membership voted last election to become involved with and work with the checkoff- not only on updating the checkoff rules and policy changes, but on the everyday operation of the checkoff...

In the latest issue of Cattlemans Journal Monte Reese wrote an article on the changes R-CALF had requested and how they could/can be brought about- and some of the problems that could occur with a rule change -ex. problem of suit that could come up from foreign countries if the Act is revised so only US beef is promoted with checkoff dollars....I've discussed this before personally with him and think that it could be handled with all money collected inside the US going to promoting US beef and all money collected at the ports or on imported beef going to generic beef advertisement....I think it would hold up in court if R-CALF could get it pass Congress....

I think if we can get the M-COOL issue out of being the center issue, R-CALF can and would be much more proactive toward the checkoff -- and the scuttlebutt I'm getting is that USDA is becoming more receptive to implementing it, if R-CALF doesn't actively work against them to derail the ID program...And the ID program takes the #1 argument about traceablity and verification away from the COOL opponents....

Hanta Yo,it is funny how things work out sometimes. I am not a fan of Walmart (I am not against them for the usual reasons, I just don't like the butt to butt traffic) but I go in with my wife. One day while she was shopping, I went over to the meat counter. I looked around and was impressed with what I saw. The meat dept. head was putting product on the shelves, so I asked where they got the meat. He told me through IBP (then) in Dakota Dunes SD. He said for what he knew it was US product. It had a bright red look, what was probably from the solution, and mostly all Select meat. I think that is great that they can move so much select meat, as the typical Walmart shopper is probably middle income. That is a lot of middle end meat that they move. Anyhow, I bought a big roast, and though it wasn't as good as our usual home raised meat, it was pretty fair. We have bought other meat there, and have not been disappointed.

On another story, I was shopping for meat in Spearfish one time, and I was visiting with the meat dept. man about their meat. He said one time a local lady came in and asked why Safeway couldn't sell american lamb, and gave him the riot act for about ten minutes over it. He said he kept trying to get a word in and finally when she grew out of breath, he said "lady, I understand exactly what you are taking about. This store is Family Thrift. Safeway is next door." :oops: :shock: :lol:

Wow....... A cival conversation about r-calf and cattlewomens ass. and marketing beef and no name calling. No hatefulness, no rudeness...Thank You......
Hanta... Go for it girl!!! Maybe a very tactful article in the paper... A visit with the store manager at Walmart..... You won't know till ya try....... You have nothing to lose....

katrina said:
Wow....... A cival conversation about r-calf and cattlewomens ass. and marketing beef and no name calling. No hatefulness, no rudeness...Thank You......
Hanta... Go for it girl!!! Maybe a very tactful article in the paper... A visit with the store manager at Walmart..... You won't know till ya try....... You have nothing to lose....

Excellent advice, Katrina!!!! Anyway that we can educate John Q Public is good!!! Good luck in your quest, Hanta...let us know how things go!! :wink:

Faster horses said:
One of Wal-marts top guns gave internet talks to producers through MSU Extension Service last year. I didn't go, but did hear what was said from GUESS WHO? Our Supermarket manager here in town.

Sounds like Walmart wants to dictate how and what kind of beef we raise so they can sell a consistent product. Thay want to dictate to us, but they don't want to pay any more to get what they want.

If what they are selling is consistent, but not good by our standards, how will we benefit from that?

I think a spokesman for the producer (Beef Board, R-Calf or whoever) should go back (and OUR) customers. Selling no-taste beef will do them no good or us either. They are trying to please their customers who are on a tight budget so they want to sell meat cheaper. But cheaper is not always the best bargain for the money. JMHO

P.S. I am no fan of Wal-mart. I have also never heard of R-calf doing anything to help us on the demand side of things. This is where the National Beef Board and/or the Beef Checkoff comes into play. I'd be happy if R-Calf would take some of this type of thing on, however, if they could do it without enlisting anti-meat people and giving us more bad publicity. If R-calf has been doing something to help the demand side of beef, good for them and I'd like to know what they have done.

I agree, FH. I would have liked to listened to the internet talks last year. I know WalMart is buying ranches between us and you so they can raise their own beef. It sure doesn't help any producer AT ALL when a major corporation is selling cheap beef and the consumer assumes that is what all beef tastes like.

I'm posting this late in the game, OT posted maybe R-Calf will be more promotional for our product which I think is a good move. :D

Got some disturbing news for ya all.... Wallfart beef.... come from mexico.
Ive hauled it, from Laredo to wallmart distibution centers all over the country... the sad part is... i also haul alot of beef from colo to laredo to be used in mexico... i got lots to add about distribution of beef anf wher it goes.. but will have to wait till a later day when i got time to post it

HorseShoer said:
Got some disturbing news for ya all.... Wallfart beef.... come from mexico.
Ive hauled it, from Laredo to wallmart distibution centers all over the country... the sad part is... i also haul alot of beef from colo to laredo to be used in mexico... i got lots to add about distribution of beef anf wher it goes.. but will have to wait till a later day when i got time to post it

We need Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling NOW... At least give the consumer the info in making the decision- then the choice on if or which they want to buy will be a more informed one....

MCOOL is always something I have believed in but for the most part wonder how much influence it will really have on the market. Everything is labeled made in China, Taiwan Hong Kong whatever in the US and it doesn't stop folks from buying it. It will matter to some but probably not as much as $ per pound. When I worked the counter I would say 1 in 30 people asked about where the meat came from and most of that was people asking about Lamb, oh, and they didn't want Arkansas Chicken.

IL Rancher said:
MCOOL is always something I have believed in but for the most part wonder how much influence it will really have on the market. Everything is labeled made in China, Taiwan Hong Kong whatever in the US and it doesn't stop folks from buying it. It will matter to some but probably not as much as $ per pound. When I worked the counter I would say 1 in 30 people asked about where the meat came from and most of that was people asking about Lamb, oh, and they didn't want Arkansas Chicken.

It may only greatly effect a percentage of the consumers--But its being honest with the consumers... The beef industry is tied to and is a continuation of the image of the cattle industry- and I just can't see cattleman wanting to be connected with the current fraud of the Packer/Retailers by removing labels and markings- restamping with a USDA inspected stamp- and passing it off as US raised product....Kind of goes against the Code of the West....

Latest posts