• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wannabe a rancher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BarMJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm just posting because I'm trying to gather as much advice as possible. Within the next year, my husband and I hope to buy some land and start raising cattle. So between now and then I'm hoping to learn as much as I can. So if anyone has any general advice, knows any good books or other websites to check out or if anyone lives in my area and wants to invite me out to learn about cows(lol), that would be great.
I have a little basic knowledge, my grandparents were still raising cattle when I was younger, so I've helped move cows, fix fence, kinda the general stuff. Then my parents had a few acres and we would feed out a calf to butcher now and then. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention then and I don't want to make any major mistakes before I really get started.
What I am contemplating right now is starting out with Herefords and maybe later cross-breeding(?). Not sure if that's the way to go, so any opinions would be helpful. Another thing, we are looking at 120 acres to start. Although if I win the lottery, we will buy my grandparents 1500 acre ranch! sigh... (Oh, wait, win the lottery and convince my city boy of a husband to live in my somewhat small hometown.)

First, I'd find how fast I could make friends with my neighbors.
Second, I'd try to listen more than I speak. If you are the right kind to get along with, almost anybody will be helpful and pretty free with advice.
Third, you're on a good track here, but you will find more specific questions will get a more useful response.
To quote a Texan "good luck"

You picked a good place to start,born and raised on this home place and been doin it on my own for 25 years and I'M learnin ALOT being part of ranchers.net.... theres some pretty sharp ranchers here ( to quote Haymaker) Good Luck

BarMJ said:
Hi everyone. I'm just posting because I'm trying to gather as much advice as possible. Within the next year, my husband and I hope to buy some land and start raising cattle. So between now and then I'm hoping to learn as much as I can. So if anyone has any general advice, knows any good books or other websites to check out or if anyone lives in my area and wants to invite me out to learn about cows(lol), that would be great.
I have a little basic knowledge, my grandparents were still raising cattle when I was younger, so I've helped move cows, fix fence, kinda the general stuff. Then my parents had a few acres and we would feed out a calf to butcher now and then. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention then and I don't want to make any major mistakes before I really get started.
What I am contemplating right now is starting out with Herefords and maybe later cross-breeding(?). Not sure if that's the way to go, so any opinions would be helpful. Another thing, we are looking at 120 acres to start. Although if I win the lottery, we will buy my grandparents 1500 acre ranch! sigh... (Oh, wait, win the lottery and convince my city boy of a husband to live in my somewhat small hometown.)
Instill in your "City-Boy" husband a BURNING, unquenchable, driving desire to LEARN, LEARN, LEARN everything that you and he can for about 16 hours a day BEFORE you move to the ranch. And contact the Montana State University and your County Agent for information on Cattle raising. And stay tuned to this site. Good people and good information. Good luck and - - -Good Grief!! Hang in there!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am currently trying to send feelers out to see if there is anyone around here who would be willing to let me come help out around their place so I can start learning. I don't really know any of the ranchers in my area right now though. But I'm sure there is someone out there who could use some free labor, I just have to find them!
And Doc Harris, thank you for the suggestions, I will get right on that!

I look forward to posting more as I get more specific questions! I really appreciate how friendly and helpful all of you have been.

Latest posts