• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Want to beat the high cost of fuel? a poem

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
On the bull session thread, MRJ asked about fuel prices compared to the inflation of other things and wondered if they really were higher or just seemed like it. I started a new thread (at her direction) and that and a few others who were complaining about what it's going to cost to farm and put up hay this year because of the higher price of fuel, made me think of this old poem and thought it might give some others some thoughts and or a different perspective.

This is the first "cowboy" poem that I ever acctually put down on paper. I had a poster made up of it, with a picture of my old original team on the top of the poster. Names were Big and Little. Big wenty on to greener pastures years ago and Little is standing across the road from me as I write. She will be 27 this spring. Fat and in great shape and she will help me start my new bay draft colt this fall. I hope!

Hope you enjoy!

Workhorses and Tractors

I've got some neighbors who laugh and make fun
When I hook up a team of horse to get my feedin' done

Or when I hook 'em to a wagon to go and fix some fence
They laugh and say, "Ol' Bob, he just ain't got much sense!"

But when ol' man winter sets in and it's 10 or 20 below
I don't have to plug them horses in just so they can go!

And when the snow is drifted and it's deep and it's hard
I just hook up to an old bobsled and slid on over it, pard

See, I ain't got no oil wells, but I do have oats and hay
And horses hooves don't go flat, tho' sometimes tractor tires may

And workhorses get more dependable the older that they get
I ain't never heard of a tractor, thats been said about yet

And tractors won't replace themselves like a good ol' draft horse
Just turn a stud out with the mare and nature takes it's course

I only get off and on once, to take my team thru' a gate
Throw it open, "Git up, Whoa" close it, I think thats just great

Can't do that with a tractor cuz' they don't stop when you say "Whoa"
Tractors break down often and that costs a pile of dough

So I'll take a team of horse to feed and fence and such
And I'll leave them fuel burnin' tractors to them as don't know as much!

Atta boy Jinglebob. I've got that poem hanging above my computer just to keep me back to the best things in life. When this dang magic box don't do what I want I read that poem and it keeps me from taking an ax to this thing. :lol:

jingle bob in the 3rd stanza (if that is what it is called?) where is says
I dont have to plug them horses in just so they can go

here is an other line that could work too
I dont have to plug them horses in I just say 'giddy up go'

probably would jingle bob i dont know stink about poetry.
it sounds good the way it is I was never anygood at writing poems. in school i used to shudder when we had to make up a poem only thing worse was have to recite it in front of the class :oops:

Good one Jinglebob.

Made me think of a preacher we had at our church years ago. He had a farm (our preachers weren't salaried there, they worked besides their ministry, Busy guys.) He was as old fashioned as they come. He had tractors and stuff, but he liked his heavy team. Said the same as you, they started in the winter and didn't need any bought fuel. He'd haul manure out in the winter and fork it off of his bobsled as long as the horses could get through the snow. Did that till he had a heart attack and died suddenly at the age of 65.

Latest posts