• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Warming up the blood

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Its -6F here and I just got in from doctoring a bunch of sick critters, and trying to get warmed back up. Thought I would post a few pictures of the spring time 3 years ago, now that I figured out how to post pics.

DSC005002.jpg

The boss kept telling me this was a good road. Lisa and I had tried going up it one other time, and she told me NEVER try using the road. Well I did, and thankfully the cell phone worked. The first time I called her, I waited until I was about a half mile away from the canyon before I called her. By the time I got back out there, the cows had come down the road and bumped the pickup over about 3 inches. # inches aren't much, but when you already have 1 tire sorta hanging over the edge, 3 inches are a bunch. Anyway, by the time I got the tow bar hooked up, and the tractor in the right gear, I was in BIG TROUBLE. Of course, the tractor didn't have any brakes, and the only way to hold both the pickup and tractor up was to spin the tractor down to where it wouldn't move.
It took a D4 Cat, 200 feet of cable, and lots of neighbors humor to rescue me.

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

Its only about 100 feet straight down from where the back of the pickup is sitting. And yes there is a salt box in the bottom of the canyon that I didn't get unloaded in time.

I'll bet with the amount of adrenaline you had pumping through your veins you probably could have carried that pickup out of there by hand.

WOW! I would of been puckered up like you wouldnt believe! Glad you made it out in the end. Now that you have the picture posting mastered, get after it! :D I expect a bunch a week. :wink:

The guys that hunt that end of the ranch say there aren't any deer out that way, but I know different. :p What kinda surprises me, is we don't have near the big deer as say down towards Saddletramp and that area. The rule on the ranch is, you have to take a doe, or 2 before you can have a set of horns, and the horns better be wall hangers or you pay a $100 fine.
This year there were 15 doe taken, and 4 bucks, and I wasn't even 1 of them. I got mine on our other place.

My son says I take all the fun out of ground like that. I only have 300 Acres here but my wife and grand daughter like to check cows with a golf cart so I took the dozer and made a 15' wide road along each fence.

With all the cross fences I have about 5 miles of fence so my grand daughter gets lots of drive time.

Kind of fun to do and I have a couple right in the side of the hill - - - couple of passes with a 6 way blade and you can take the golf cart anywhere!

I guess I have a different way of trying to have fun.

We are mainly extremely sandy. That was the problem to start out with. I spun out. We "rebuild" this road every year, and every year the hill just slides down to the road. In 2000, we had a fire that burned about 150 acres of that area, and since then, the owners of the ranch are insistent there be some way to get fire trucks to the bottom of the hill. Not that there are any firetrucks in this area that would go down it during a fire. You just can't get back up it because of the soft sand.
We probably would have lost most of the trees along the river, had there not been a BIG fire out on the forest, which is just south of us. The forest is 1 of 2 "hand planted" in Nebraska. I feel pretty confident in saying that on the 3500 acres of this ranch, we have more trees the the 112,000 acres have in the forest.

If all it took was a D-4 and 200 feet of cable, you weren't really stuck.

You just couldn't go anywhere. :???: :wink:

After looking at the pictures again I can see where it would be hard to hold a road! I run into veins of sand but it is easy to just move up the hill and shove about a foot of red clay over it and then it is very stable! I can't imagine all that sand.

If you get enough rain can you get good tonnage?

Latest posts