• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

WAS SHE AN IMPORT ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WAS SHE AN IMPORT ?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I have had a few phone calls this afternoon,and I'll be the first to admitt ,right now its only hear say,but IM being told the cow was an import.............good luck,what's your opinion,import or home grown?

It pretty much doesn't matter where it came from. The fact is it's a bse positive animal. As far as I'm concerned that matters not one bit, we all knew it was there (except maybe Mike, Leo, and the boys.... oh ya, and Oldtimer).
The unfortunate part is the way in which it has come out. Makes everyone look bad, and it will go along ways to slowing down resumed trade with Japan for both Canada and the U.S..

Associated Press
Update 6: Tests Confirm Second Mad Cow Case in U.S.
06.24.2005, 04:49 PM

Tests have confirmed mad cow disease in what appears to be the first case in a U.S. born animal, the Agriculture Department said Friday. Officials would not specify where the case turned up, but Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said there is no evidence the cow was imported.

What makes you think she was imported? Did Leo tell you to keep telling yourself she's imported?

Tam said:
Associated Press
Update 6: Tests Confirm Second Mad Cow Case in U.S.
06.24.2005, 04:49 PM

Tests have confirmed mad cow disease in what appears to be the first case in a U.S. born animal, the Agriculture Department said Friday. Officials would not specify where the case turned up, but Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said there is no evidence the cow was imported.

What makes you think she was imported? Did Leo tell you to keep telling yourself she's imported?

Who would you have us believe Miss Tam ,Leo or johanns...............good luck

Back in NOV.last year I heard on a radio station in Texas that a couple of workers at the packing plant where said cow was found had a M brand,or M on the animal.

Back in NOV.last year I heard on a radio station in Texas that a couple of workers at the packing plant where said cow was found had a M brand,or M on the animal.

and i'll bet you they can dig up a hide with that brand, too. or maybe it was a texas registered brand: lazy h m

I figure if the political and money players want her to be an import they will find a way to spin it.

If they want to play straight up they will not exert any effort to spin it.

In the end, us working dogs will NEVER know anyways.

Therefore it is a moot point and we can argue all day long - just for the sake of arguing.

B.C.

Broke Cowboy said:
I figure if the political and money players want her to be an import they will find a way to spin it.

If they want to play straight up they will not exert any effort to spin it.

In the end, us working dogs will NEVER know anyways.

Therefore it is a moot point and we can argue all day long - just for the sake of arguing.

B.C.

If it is a Canadian, then we will never hear about it as the border would stay shut and USDA wants it open. If it is a Mexican, no one will believe it, so might as well call it ours. Will be interesting when and if they let it out who actually owned it in the USA when they trace it back. I bet they say it is untraceable or USDA will not let the information out. :mad:

HAY MAKER said:
I have had a few phone calls this afternoon,and I'll be the first to admitt ,right now its only hear say,but IM being told the cow was an import.............good luck,what's your opinion,import or home grown?

Your information is wrong. This was a native cow.

HAY MAKER said:
:roll: No!!!!!!!!!Say it ain't so!!!!!!!A Texan R-Calf lover posting here-say?Billy-Bob called Jimmy-Joe who called Bubba who called Haymaker and said it he heard that LEO (that sayer of truth) said it was a foreign cow and no matter what anyone else says so it couldn't be 'Mercun! :lol:

it doesn't matter where the cow came from; usda and the packers have decided it's time to come clean and get things working again. they won't try to pass this one off on someone else so i guess now the us has bse. if you step back and look at how this has all transpired it makes the whole process down there look corrupt and usda is incompetent at best. the two false positives that coincided with the japanese visit last summer look pretty darn stupid now don't they? oh well keep sending that great diplomat, j b penn over to tell the japanese how it's going to happen. it's working great so far!

Let's face it. It is a US cow. Now the thing is, What are they going to do about it? Now since the USDA has stirred the pot, this is a new cow. It needs to be treated as such. Now they have to go back and do a complete traceback, with no holds bared. Find where it came from, where it was born, and all places where it has been. They need to trace the feed this animal was fed and where it came from. Was it imported feed, and who imported it. Put nothing under the table, don't try to set this aside by saying it was sparotic, or making light to the situation by just claiming it never got into the food chain.

If they do not do a very, very complete job of investigating this, many of us will believe it is a conspiracy between the USDA and the people who want the border open.

My thinkig of this is, They couldn't find another BSE cow with our conventual method of testing, and they wanted one, so had to go back and test the questionable old cases with a different test to find one. Now we know we had one, get busy and do the tracing. If heads roll, so be it.

Clarence said:
Let's face it. It is a US cow. Now the thing is, What are they going to do about it? Now since the USDA has stirred the pot, this is a new cow. It needs to be treated as such. Now they have to go back and do a complete traceback, with no holds bared. Find where it came from, where it was born, and all places where it has been. They need to trace the feed this animal was fed and where it came from. Was it imported feed, and who imported it. Put nothing under the table, don't try to set this aside by saying it was sparotic, or making light to the situation by just claiming it never got into the food chain.

If they do not do a very, very complete job of investigating this, many of us will believe it is a conspiracy between the USDA and the people who want the border open.

My thinkig of this is, They couldn't find another BSE cow with our conventual method of testing, and they wanted one, so had to go back and test the questionable old cases with a different test to find one. Now we know we had one, get busy and do the tracing. If heads roll, so be it.

The trace back was completed previously. The one thing this industry is not short of is conspiracy theories-how pathetic. If people were only as vigilant in gathering the facts beforehand the conspiracy theorists would never get started. Every auction barn in the country will become the source of a new BSE falsehood. If it would not be so sad and harmful it could make the "comedy works".

Please explain your logic of "wanting a case of BSE" as you state above.

Well Agman, as you stated. the traceback was completed previously. What was the reason for a re-test? Forage for the media, perhaps?

agman said:
Clarence said:

The trace back was completed previously.
The one thing this industry is not short of is conspiracy theories-how pathetic. If people were only as vigilant in gathering the facts beforehand the conspiracy theorists would never get started. Every auction barn in the country will become the source of a new BSE falsehood. If it would not be so sad and harmful it could make the "comedy works".

Please explain your logic of "wanting a case of BSE" as you state above.

Facts agman,who,where.why.and when and why all the secrets alot of us are tired of all the twisting slanted excuses by usda/ami.............good luck

The trace back was completed previously.

OK, now, if this cow has already been traced back, why does no one know where this cow came from? Who owned her? I do believe that when we found our first case, they had the owner within a few hours, and the breeder within a few days!!! Where is this information for THIS cow?

Randi

Clarence said:
Well Agman, as you stated. the traceback was completed previously. What was the reason for a re-test? Forage for the media, perhaps?

Great attempt at nothing Clarence. Tell me, what does traceback have to do with an additonal test being ordered at the urging of the OIG? Are you suggesting that only imported cattle would now be subjected to the Western Blot test?!!!! The OIG did not oder traceback, they suggested the latter test be performed in addition to the initial test.

agman said:
Clarence said:

Great attempt at nothing Clarence. Tell me, what does traceback have to do with an additonal test being ordered at the urging of the OIG? Are you suggesting that only imported cattle would now be subjected to the Western Blot test?!!!! The OIG did not oder traceback, they suggested the latter test be performed in addition to the initial test.

Agman- This article and Johanns comments suggest he was blindsided by the OIG- either that or he has absolutely no idea what is happening within his department-- doesn't look good either way...He will end up a Lameduck secretary spending most of his watch cleaning up after Ms. Vennaman...He has already questioned her OTM border opening rule and put that on hold- now finds that the testing may have been inadequate- Court has ruled they put trade economics before consumer and US herd safety...What else in the US's BSE policy and proposed border rules is flawed? :???: :? Best thing he could do is put all changes on hold until OIG is finished with their investigations and work with them to further develop the US's policy.....But I'm sure big money will force him to stumble and bumble forward......And it already sounds like another DC turf battle emerging........

-------------------------------

Today 6/24/2005 12:38:00 PM

Cattle Alert: USDA Chief Was Unaware Of Decision On BSE Sample

Johanns said he did not know whether USDA Inspector General Phyllis Fong had the authority to order the retest of the sample using a Western blot method, as opposed to the immunohistochemistry, or IHC, test USDA scientists previously used.

But he stressed he "should be involved in all decisions of this significance."

Instead, Johanns said he was informed by Dale Moore, his chief of staff, after the retesting was already underway.

"It caught me by surprise, to be very honest with you," he said.

Johanns said the question of authority to call for the retesting lies in the disputed question of whether it was an audit or operations function.

He said that while the inspector general "has the right to audit" and USDA "has an obligation to cooperate" with those audits, "if it's operations, then it's in my domain."

On June 15 the inspector general released a statement saying its auditors "noted an unusual pattern of conflicting test results on one sample and initiated testing on that sample." USDA announced on June 10 that the additional testing produced a positive result fro BSE.

This whold charade of soap-opera like events that has taken place over the last year looks suspicious at best even on a good day. Maybe I just don't have a life, but seriously agman, have you not had even a shread of doubt that some of this BS has been "invented" or "staged?" If you don't, I admire the hell out of your trust for some people. Have a good night and thanks for reading from Canada.

Latest posts