• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Was This Stupid?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds

Reaction score
First off I have never had a credit card in my life. I have a debit card though.
My paypal account got hacked. Talked with my bank and they advised getting a credit card to use on paypal.
Figure I can use it to buy my milking supplies too.

I went in Thursday and applied for one through my bank. Figure I just need a simple one. It is a no fees as long as I use it at least once a year to keep it active. Has a select rewards.

Talked with my hubby he said as long as I pay for the charges myself he has no problem with it.
Got chewed out by my mother though. Got informed since I was so terrible at handling money I should just return it. This from the woman I remember always paying on something she had on lay away or charged.

So is it a bad idea to have a credit card or not?

As long as you are careful with it, credit cards are fine.
I have one that I have learned to charge everything on, and
then pay it off each month. It builds cash rewards--1% on
everything--and you can call up and get the cash anytime.
It also gives 3% on a new GM vehicle and many times they'll
give you some bonus money. On the last Yukon we bought,
we had $3000 total in that credit card to use against the
new vehicle. You make the deal, then they'll take this off
the price. Not that you want to do that. Just make sure to
pay off the balances every month, that's the key.
It's nice to have them to put machinery purchases on if you
are far away and have to have the parts sent to you. That
right there has made a credit card invaluable to us.

And I've read where debit cards are easier for scam artists
to use than credit cards, so I no longer use my debit card.

Good luck! My advice is to get it.

if your debit card is stolen and the money all used up..........pretty poor chance of getting it back.Where as if your credit card is stolen you are not going to have to pay for charges not made by you.
The key thing to do though is pay it every month :!:

Know a gal on another board, thety have a dairy farm in upstate NY. She uses a CC to pay all the farm bills each month and then pays off the CC . She usually goes on to trips a year with her free miles. This last winter she and her Cousin went on a trip to Antartica...

Hubby was not too happy, but is now thinking more abut how we could use it if needed.

FH it has select awards so I can choose the cash rewards or fly miles.

PAB the hacker charged $95 on my paypal account. I reported it immediately to paypal and my bank. The bank said they could have drained all of our accounts. That was scarey.

Jody I know a family that used theirs once to charge their fertilizer and got enough miles to fly to Hawaii! :lol:

Ok I got the card and have made all of 2 charges on it for a grand total of $23.00 :lol: :lol:

Must admit I was pretty darn nervous using it. Got my info sheet from the bank. Pretty much stated what FH already said, no interest as long as it is paid in full each month.

Yep FH I know that. I was already told the limit. So as long as I don't go over and do not charge too much I should be fine. :D

Saw a friend yesterday and I told her how nervous I was to use my first credit card. She told me she was not nervous about using her's. Told her I added up my receipts and I have charged $109.63. She told me I could charge more up to my limit. Told her I did not know when my bill would come in the mail and there was no way in h*ll I was going to charge clear up to my limit.

Stopped in the bank today on a different issue and asked when I could expect my bill. Was told it was supposed to have been mailed out on the 7th, well since there was no sign of it I just went ahead and paid my bill.
So my balance is back to zero.

Talked with a banker I have known for quite awhile and like FH said pay it off in full each month and do not keep a balance on it.

Latest posts