• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wasn't coyotes after all.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

In Manitoba, if a dog is seen chasing livestock, or deer for that matter, it's legal to shoot them.

That can be a good thing, but sure caused quite a fuss a couple of years ago when some Mounties shot a couple of Maremas that were with a herd of sheep out in a pasture!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorta off subject, but I found it interesting. Several Idaho outfitters and game wardens hunt white tails in Kansas. My friend sets them up in Kansas, and they do the same in Idaho for him. I let them in on some of my hunting also just to help my friend. We were talking about controlling wolves when they all said "gut shoot a wolf and let the pack do the rest."
Do not kill a wolf or you will have company real soon, but a gut shot wolf will soon be exterminated by the pack, and there will not be evidence of a shooting. I asked about a gut shot wolf being a danger to people and livestock - they just laughed and said not for very long and all wolves are dangerous.

Kato said:
In Manitoba, if a dog is seen chasing livestock, or deer for that matter, it's legal to shoot them.

In tennessee

44-17-203 no damages recoverable for killing or injuring such dog.
in an acction for damages against a person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that the dog had been or was killing or worrying livestock constitutes a good defense to such action.

heard on the news this morning that a lady was killed in west tn by two dogs. just caught the tale end of the story.

G3

A few years back we had a problem with Dogs, they got 2 calves and just mutilated them and left them laying. On the second calf, when the dogs were spotted one was shot and taken back to the owner up the way and told him to get his dogs fenced or that would happen to the rest of them. He reimbursed us for one calf, which in our eyes was more than most would do...he didnt have any money, so to get that was satisfactory even with the loss we incurred. But, the next day he went out and shot 7 of his dogs...

We have honestly not had a problem with coyotes in about 15 yrs in our area. Had trappers come in and clear them out...then they werent bothering stock, they were getting peoples pets, cats and such. Got real brave in one instance was coming up to neighbors back porch and gettin the cats food and then snackin on the cats as well. Needless to say the trapper got them first.

Anyway, my point is that all in all the only real problems we have incurred in losing livestock has been pack of dogs, they destroy more than coyotes here..and people will accuse it on the coyote.

Easty

Rusty, the lady who was killed by the two dogs was a friend of my aunts. That crap happened about a half mile from where my herd is located. The lady walked about two miles every evening for exercise and that evening two mongrels got after her. The police seem to think that she was trying to get away from them and had a heart attack. Then when she fell, they mauled her. Supposed to have torn her up really badly. The authorities have two dogs in custody, but now they think they have the wrong ones. It sure was a tragedy thats for certain. Clay.

A year or so ago, a neighbors dog attacked a woman near Elizbeth, Colorado and killed her. The dogs has been problems before.

The victim was the sister of a friend of ours.

The dogss were put down, the victim buried and the dog owner is in the Stoney Lonesome today.

My mother lives in Florida and walks 2 miles a day to control her diabities. She was harrassed by some dogs and a neighbor came along in a truck and helped her. I went to WalMart and got a "Super Saoker" and a couple of gallons of amonia. None of the dogs along her road bother any one any more. Some of the other neighbors have thanked her. One neighbor called SPCA on her but when they investigated they felt as a self defense measure it was fine.

That super soaker will put out a good stream up to fifty feet. One shot in the face and they really take notice!

welcome aboard tn cowpoke.

what part of tn are you located in?

i'm just west of knoxville and run charolais cattle.

get any storms down you way? it only sprinklered here today.

G3

just heard that if it is the two dogs that killed this lady the most fines that the dog owner would get is a leash law fine, what the heck is up with that!!! This was not the first time the owner had been warned about these dogs either. But if you kill a dog more than likely you would face some jail time.

Thats a good idea about the super soaker, hard to kill them dogs in subdivisions.

G3

Our problem is sheep...... Ever since we have been married, our neighbor thinks it's okay to let his sheep graze on us.......Every year we call and tell them to please keep their sheep in...If they see us leave them they turn them out on us.....My husband is thinking maybe 223...

Is your neighbor opening a gate or cutting the fence?

If your fences are in good repair I would send him a registered letter explaining that next time them woolies got on me they were headed to the sale barn and you would hold the money for the haul bill and fence repair.

Just my thoughts.

G3

katrina said:
Our problem is sheep...... Ever since we have been married, our neighbor thinks it's okay to let his sheep graze on us.......Every year we call and tell them to please keep their sheep in...If they see us leave them they turn them out on us.....My husband is thinking maybe 223...
Yup ,some nieghbors are the biggest pests,few years ago we didn't use our river pasture because of drought.Its native grass and we didn't want it grazed,we wanted it healthy...jerk nieghbor found out days greg was working and turned his cattle in :mad: Katrina was the 223 for sheep or nieghbor?? :D

We were thinking sheep..... I'll bet just one dead sheep and our problems would be solved....They are the type that always barrow machinery from the neighbors... Parasites if you ask me....
It's just having the balls to do it.... It's not the sheeps fault they have bad owners...

Katrina one of my great uncles who was in the sheep wars here in Az. said the easiest way to get rid of sheep is to catch one soak ot in kerosene strike a match to it and turn it loose. Pretty quick you have the biggest sheep BBQ as all them other sheep crowd around the burning sheep.

George said:
I went to WalMart and got a "Super Saoker" and a couple of gallons of amonia. None of the dogs along her road bother any one any more. Some of the other neighbors have thanked her. One neighbor called SPCA on her but when they investigated they felt as a self defense measure it was fine.

That super soaker will put out a good stream up to fifty feet. One shot in the face and they really take notice!

Stops many Dogs bad habits like that of chasing Cars also :!:

Latest posts