• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Watching the sunrise!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ranchwife

Reaction score
good morning to my rancher family!!! i have been up since about 2 this morning (night-shifters-itis :wink: ) and am now watching the sun rise above the madison range...the clouds are the most beautiful shade of lavender (purple for you cowboys who are not sure what a lavender is :wink: ) and the air is crisp and clean....the only sound outside is the sound of the cattle in the west pasture and the sounds of the calves callin for their mamas.....sure makes you grateful for so many little things....i can walk outside my house on my own, anytime i want....i can breathe the clean air...i am free....i have a beautiful happy, healthy family....i can see the shades of blue in the sky....i can hear the call of the coyote (danged things are everywhere :? ) and the bawl of a calf....i have clothes on my body and a roof over my head....what else could i possibly want (besides world peace, that is :wink: ).....i write this in hopes that as each of you start your day, you will also stop and think about what you have to be grateful for....even the smallest of things!!! my prayers are with each of you today as you face the hurdles of everyday life and try and eak out a living as keepers of the land!!! take care and god bless!!!

kris

And top o' the mornin' to you, ranchwife! Its still cloudy here, but the temp was already 45 degrees when I got up an hour ago. Got a house full of family this morning. One of our sons and his wife came home yesterday, after he got off the night shift at the mine, and they will have their new little boy (son #2) baptised tomorrow. Had two sons, two daughter-in-laws, six grand kids and one grand pa here all afternoon - what a blessing! Tomorrow we will have three more sons, one more daughter-in-law, and three more grand kids. My cup overfloweth!

On another subject, #1 son sliced the entire fingerprint off his index finger and cut the next finger to the bone with his knife Thursday while we were shearing sheep. Since he bled like a stuck hog, he ran to his house, wrapped it in guaze and taped it up. He didn't find the chunk he cut off until that night so he didn't get it taped back on the finger. After the shearers went home and he tried to rebandage the finger, the guaze was stuck in the wound so hard that even soaking it in warm water for an hour wouldn't let it come loose.

My guestion you might be able to answer is: we trimmed off any guaze we could and left the rest in the wound. Will that eventually come off with the scab or will it just grow into the wound and cause trouble later? What do you think? And no, I didn't get him to the doctor. As he said, "Its a long way from my heart", and there's nothing to stitch together or I'd have done it myself.

Yes, early morning is the best part of the day. At least I think so. Haven't convinced my better half of that though, he's more of a night owl. He's usually a little crusty in the morning.

Not much of a sunrise here this morning, sky's laden with heavy gray clouds. Looks like rain.

ranchwife, I appreciate your chipperness and ability to see the beauty around you. We all should follow your good example, so "Top of the Morning" to everyone out in cyberwhatever-it-is.

Spring has sprung around here. This morning, the thermometer already reads 50 degrees with a moderate breeze. The moisture we had last week is starting to wane, but a possibility exists for rain showers on Monday.

Found a dead calf three days ago, so decided to skin him out on the spot as his mother was a nice cow capable of raising another calf. Had the bridle rein of my horse under my knee to keep him from going home without me, but in the "solitude of the moment" I heard and saw the first curlew I'd had the opportunity to notice so far this spring.

Yesterday I went into Cody for some needed supplies. A bunch of horses belonging to a friend who raises them was along the road. Normally they are over the hills and out of sight, so I had to seize the opportunity to stop the pickup and get out and walk through them. We've been known to trade horses with each other in the past. With the motor of the pickup not running, and no other traffic coming down the highway, I could hear Sandhills cranes as they flew overhead. It took a lot of searching to get them spotted, as they fly very high in the sky. Sometimes its nice to just gulp in the peacefulness and quietness that we are so fortunate to experience in cattle country.

Liberty Belle said:
And top o' the mornin' to you, ranchwife! Its still cloudy here, but the temp was already 45 degrees when I got up an hour ago. Got a house full of family this morning. One of our sons and his wife came home yesterday, after he got off the night shift at the mine, and they will have their new little boy (son #2) baptised tomorrow. Had two sons, two daughter-in-laws, six grand kids and one grand pa here all afternoon - what a blessing! Tomorrow we will have three more sons, one more daughter-in-law, and three more grand kids. My cup overfloweth!

On another subject, #1 son sliced the entire fingerprint off his index finger and cut the next finger to the bone with his knife Thursday while we were shearing sheep. Since he bled like a stuck hog, he ran to his house, wrapped it in guaze and taped it up. He didn't find the chunk he cut off until that night so he didn't get it taped back on the finger. After the shearers went home and he tried to rebandage the finger, the guaze was stuck in the wound so hard that even soaking it in warm water for an hour wouldn't let it come loose.

My guestion you might be able to answer is: we trimmed off any guaze we could and left the rest in the wound. Will that eventually come off with the scab or will it just grow into the wound and cause trouble later? What do you think? And no, I didn't get him to the doctor. As he said, "Its a long way from my heart", and there's nothing to stitch together or I'd have done it myself.

Liberty----definitely soak the finger again (maybe with a drop or two of peroxide in the water) and try to get the bit of bandage off....otherwise, it could simply hold in any infection that might be present....you were right about the stitching...not much a doc could have done besides put on some sterile vaseline gauze then cover with kerlix and tell him to keep it clean and dry til healed!! what about his tetanus shot?? if it has been over 5 years since his last shot, best get him updated!!! best of luck to you!!

kris

Thanks ranchwife - that is pretty much what I thought, but I don't think I'm gonna get him to let me pull out the last of the guaze. Maybe he'll soak it with peroxide in the water though. He just had his tetanus shot a couple weeks ago, so he should be OK there. I'll try to remember to let you know how it turns out. He's just glad he doesn't have a job that needs a fingerprint security check to get in the building or he'd be looking for work elsewhere since there is absolutely NO fingerprint (and very little flesh!) left on his index finger.

Latest posts