• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

WE ARE

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
WEANING!!! :(

Beautiful day to do it, sounds like the rest of the week will be pretty mild so the calves won't be so stressed weather-wise :)

Cow calling her calf

moo.jpg

Where are you, darling???

darlingwhereareyou.jpg

I want my mommy!!

madcalves.jpg

You did it!!!!

verymadcalves.jpg

Mad calves leaving

madcalvesleaving.jpg

Up and down the fence

upanddownthefence.jpg

This is the cow who hurt me, number 123

cowwhohurtme.jpg

I guess we'll see tomorrow if there are any wrecks...that's why we started penning the cows instead of the calves....

That's what we did last week. Tuesday and Wednesday there was bawling all over. Today I walked down to take a look and they all seemed pretty content. :)

Easy number to remember 123.

My cow was 400X. Hit the gate broke my arm and rolled me around the barn. That was back in 2000. Sold at weaning time in the fall. I think she was into loco weed but was pretty high headed come fall.

Yup, we read a long time ago about some research claiming calves that can see their mama right on the other side of the fence, why weaning gets shortened by a couple days. NOT. It takes 7 days to a week to get them to quit bawling :mad: :wink:

They are singing quite loud tonight :shock: Hope tomorrow AM won't hold any wrecks :!:

My cow was 1943, "Killer". She took on 3 of us at once and I thought I was going to have to break some real bad news to the wife of one of them. I sold her to the first buyer that called. She was my BEST cow that day. I did warn him before he left and he said no worries - they had a ranch full of them in Montana.
Last year our babies went hoarse with bawling. :cry:
Good luck with weaning, and may you have no wrecks!

Looks like you've got the perfect conditions for it. Good luck :) did you listen to the video I put on Coffee Shop for you? (Don't worry, no bawling calves on it!)

they look good,i would watch the steel wagon wheel though with the calves,i seen one that stuck its head in the and choked to death,moved its head closer to the center and kept pulling back,didnt know enough to move the other way :???:

cowwrangler said:
they look good,i would watch the steel wagon wheel though with the calves,i seen one that stuck its head in the and choked to death,moved its head closer to the center and kept pulling back,didnt know enough to move the other way :???:

It sure is interesting to see others operations and the things that different people pick out of pictures. I went back to see the steel wheel and i agree it could be a prime target for some calf to commit suicide. :( Even the bent panel in Soap's calving barn. A lots of us just become to familiar with our surroundings.

I have a panel against the steel wheel, the wheel attaches the fence to the cattleguard. After looking again at the picture, it does look like a calf can poke his head through there, as he would have to be on the cattleguard to do so. I made sure there wouldn't be any of those surprises, we've had enough of them throughout the years. However, 2 calves have already gotten in with their mothers, I went around this morning and plugged all the holes that were made during the night :mad:

Nicky said:
Looks like you've got the perfect conditions for it. Good luck :) did you listen to the video I put on Coffee Shop for you? (Don't worry, no bawling calves on it!)

I sure did! Man I'm ready for spring! I sure do love listening to those blackbirds! :)

Hanta Yo said:
I have a panel against the steel wheel, the wheel attaches the fence to the cattleguard. After looking again at the picture, it does look like a calf can poke his head through there, as he would have to be on the cattleguard to do so. I made sure there wouldn't be any of those surprises, we've had enough of them throughout the years. However, 2 calves have already gotten in with their mothers, I went around this morning and plugged all the holes that were made during the night :mad:

We wean one of 2 ways here:

#1....Put'em in the barn, in batches if there's too many. Out of sight of Mommie

OR

#2... Take Mommies to another pasture out of ear shot and feed the daylights out of'em. Can't bawl with a full mouth!! :lol: :lol:

Great looking outfit---- my question is do the cows eat the pine needles?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Easy number to remember 123.

My cow was 400X. Hit the gate broke my arm and rolled me around the barn. That was back in 2000. Sold at weaning time in the fall. I think she was into loco weed but was pretty high headed come fall.
013 purple gave me a ride to town in the rescue unit.Did get a chuckle when the parametics had to leave their shoes at the hospital door because of where they had to pick me up. Sold her this fall and her replacement calved today.She will not even see this fall. :mad: :mad:

Juan said:
Great looking outfit---- my question is do the cows eat the pine needles?

They do, but more problems with it spring calving than fall calving. I've seen them jump up on their hind legs to catch a branch-with full feed in front of them! :? I think some of them get addicted to pine needles.

Latest posts