• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

We gave up this for NCBA and R-Calf!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleCo

Reaction score
The period from 1870 to 1887-the era when the phrase "cattle kings" became popular-was probably the best and most profitable the cattle business has ever known. The Prairie Cattle Company paid a dividend of 42 percent. The article states that people wishing to engage in the cattle ranching business can expect a return on their investment of between 25 percent and 40 percent per year, depending upon the natural advantages they encounter when getting set up. It cites the example "of a ranchman who has now a good toe holt in the Wyoming territory, he has 50 horses, three to four hundred good cattle, three squaws and a large number of half-breed children, and is estimated to be worth $75,000."

I just thought this would give SH a good laugh!!! Sandhusker is probably trying to do the math! :roll:

Very interesting. It amazes me to look back on the people who settled this country. The ones who survived must have been tough as nails.

CattleCo said:
The period from 1870 to 1887-the era when the phrase "cattle kings" became popular-was probably the best and most profitable the cattle business has ever known. The Prairie Cattle Company paid a dividend of 42 percent. The article states that people wishing to engage in the cattle ranching business can expect a return on their investment of between 25 percent and 40 percent per year, depending upon the natural advantages they encounter when getting set up. It cites the example "of a ranchman who has now a good toe holt in the Wyoming territory, he has 50 horses, three to four hundred good cattle, three squaws and a large number of half-breed children, and is estimated to be worth $75,000."

I just thought this would give SH a good laugh!!! Sandhusker is probably trying to do the math! :roll:

Cattleco, don't forget what happened in 1888! That infamous blizzard that was the beginning of the end of the Open Range and the Cattle Barrons.

Thanks for including the website. I bookmarked that one! The music is wonderful, the history looks very interesting......but will have to wait till I can more easily hold my eyes open. The day started at 3:40 AM as our guys were going to the last neighbor in our circle to brand. And it was after 7:pM when they got home. A little slow going after postponing due to a nice rain yesterday morning.

CattleCo said:

Let's see..... a 42% annualized return for 40 years :p ... wow... :p can I reinvest the dividends and compound? :eek: WOW! I'M IN!@!!!

It's interesting to reflect to our roots and the problems those folks faced and compare them to the "PERCEIVED" problems people face today.

~SH~

All time favorite quote........

"It is like those that came West with the wagons and developed this country. They were your forefathers and mine. They had some grip, some go, some trade, some toughness about them.

As the saying goes..........THE WEAK ONES TURNED BACK AND THE COWARDS NEVER STARTED."

Pat Goggins

Latest posts