• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

weaned calves (pics)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
just some angus calces abour 6 months old.
calvesforsale001.jpg

calvesforsale002.jpg

calvesforsale003.jpg

calvesforsale004.jpg

calvesforsale005.jpg

calvesforsale006.jpg

calvesforsale007.jpg

calvesforsale008.jpg

calvesforsale010.jpg

calvesforsale011.jpg

calvesforsale012.jpg

[/img]

They look pretty good Bamer. I see you are using the correct technique giving shots, I see the knot on the correct place on that one :wink: glad you placed that one rear view, due to the angular nature of Angus, so many of them appear to be inflicted with that noasatall disease. You cleared that up. :!:

Those are some nice looking steers! Large framed animals. I'm assuming these steers are weaned. I'm interested to know how your weaning program works? By weight, age, etc?

UsGal~

USgal-In-Manitoba said:
Those are some nice looking steers! Large framed animals. I'm assuming these steers are weaned. I'm interested to know how your weaning program works? By weight, age, etc?

UsGal~

Not steers. bull calves. But at least 1/2 will make the trip to the stock yard in a few weeks. I may send more to the stock yard depending on the index of the 205 day weight.
I had to wean early this year, as there was no grass in pasture with the mommas. This set of bull calves were pulling the cows badly. They have been weaned for 3 weeks at photo time and due to the heat and early weaning, I had very little weight gain in those past three weeks. They have started to eat better with the cooler temperatures and the evening showers. I will try and get weights this coming Friday and know then what sort of 205 day weights I got this year. I suspect it will be down a little with the lack of gain on the last three weeks.

Are all these calves by the same bull? There's excellent uniformity in size (except for the one little fella in the last picture). Must have pretty consistent body/frame to your cows also.

The calves are by several different bulls; however, most of the ones in the pictures are by my herd bull. Some are late December and the smaller ones are early February calves.

Alabama, Those calves look pretty salty. Is the first one out of your herd bull? Do I remember correctly that he is an Alliance 6595 son? If not, who is he out of, and on the dam side? Who ever is is it looks like he is doing a good job.

Angus Breeder said:
Alabama, Those calves look pretty salty. Is the first one out of your herd bull? Do I remember correctly that he is an Alliance 6595 son? If not, who is he out of, and on the dam side? Who ever is is it looks like he is doing a good job.

Yes the first one is by my herd bull. The herd bull is a Summercrest High Flyer known a Pfred out of a Woodhill Triple Threat Dam. He has lots of frame but he is lacking in the rump.
The first calf shown is lacking in depth and rump but this is after 3 weeks in the weaning pin. I hope they start picking up some weight now that the weaning stress is over.

Those Pfred sons have a lot of growth. It will be interesting to see how much shape and condition he will have at a year old. They look good

Latest posts