• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Weaning Time

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Aaron

Reaction score
Pics from back on Dec 30/05. Ave. age= 250 days Ave. weight= 480 lbs

It's a pretty day with all the hoar frost on the trees
HoarFrost.jpg

Mom's none too happy
8.jpg

But most aren't getting real excited.
7.jpg

Steers
6.jpg

Poorer quality steer and a nice dark heifer.
5.jpg

Some of the heifers.
4.jpg

3 really nice heifers.
3.jpg

'Hmmm...from what I remember, you are supposed to bring tasty stuff to this tub.
1.jpg

Couple nice heifers.
2.jpg

Very nice pics...you guys have WAY more snow then we do,LOVE your choice of cattle :lol:

As of January 1st, there is a solid foot of snow everywhere and a good foot and 1/2 in the dips and runoff areas. At least the temperatures have been good to us this year. But there isn't any frost in the ground this year either...only where the snow is packed. Rivers haven't frozen over and neither have a lot of the bigger lakes. Lots of thin ice.

Aaron.
nice pics, wondered where you been. we have not seen snow like that since early December, we have no snow, no frost in the ground and green grass trying to grow. Strange year

sw said:
Aaron.
nice pics, wondered where you been.

Trying to read most threads, but just not finding the time to sit down and actually write up some replies. I'm sure I'll have comments once people start posting more pics of the 2006 calf crop.

I had some free time today so I went to the local sale barn - - - talk about a "red hide discount"

Three year old registered herfered herfords preg checked as 7 months brought from $450 to a high of $610 - - - If I had the feed they would have gone home with me.

Grade black cows 3 to about 7 years old preg checking 5 to 6 months brought from $700 to a high of $1,250.

Black and black baldy calves were bringing ( 400-600#) from $1.20 to $1.40 per pound - - - - herfords were discounted about 15%

I have never had herfords - - can someone explain this to me or was it just a fluke that everyone today wanted black????

Went to a sale last weak the Mrs. uncle runs char and hereford cows x with red angus bulls.They brought 1.37 and weighed 634. They were only hay fed and on the green side but outsold all the black calves in that weight bracket.

I had a Charlais heifer I bought and got the grade papers back from Tyson. Carcass was a Choice 1 @ 889 pounds. With Premiums, I got $1.595/lb. for her......Enough to make a guy take notice and bid harder on those kind,

PPRM

PPRM said:
I had a Charlais heifer I bought and got the grade papers back from Tyson. Carcass was a Choice 1 @ 889 pounds. With Premiums, I got $1.595/lb. for her......Enough to make a guy take notice and bid harder on those kind,

PPRM

That is $1418; very good. Was she full-blooded Charolais or perhaps Charolais-British cross? For quite a few years, we used Charolais bulls on black baldy and straight Angus cows, and had some dandy calves. We considered this a terminal cross, so didn't keep any heifers for replacements. The buyers always liked these calves that were half Charolais.

Soap,

She appeared fullblood Charlais to me. I have always done well with these although, at times, I worry that the carcass will get above 950 pounds. It does make me consider using a Charlais bull on some older cows to get some more of this. As they say, Wieght is the first premium and the rest of the premiums are calculated on it. But I have found quite a few Choice 1's s from the Charlais calves. That is an additional $6.00 /cwt Hot wieght on the grid....

In looking at the cows and hiefers you have, I'd be hot after Charlais cross calves out of them to!

PPRM

To bad you are so far away as I have several Great two year old pure bred Charolis bulls I would sell or rent out.

I never sell yearling bulls but pair them with an older bull and rent them out locally and that makes them really ready to go out and work as two year olds.

This will also allow you to keep an older bull a little longer as the young one will keep him working.

I have seen several times when a man would have 20 to 30 cows and will turn a single yearling bull in with them and get calves every 30 days - - they just fall in love and don't do their job. Most of you lave large enough herds you normally have several bulls in with them so you would not have this problem.

I AI my best cows ( registered Charlois) and then turn in an Angus bull for clean up - - - easy to tell if the AI took or not and the rest are great smoky calves that the feed lots fight over.

When I was doing the ultrasound thing on my blacks (pre BSE) the tech was telling me how he found a few Charlais cattle that had some really good marbling characteristics.

The breed as a whole isn't know for it but there is enough proof that if you find the right ones they will make some good carcasses.

George said:
I had some free time today so I went to the local sale barn - - - talk about a "red hide discount"

Three year old registered herfered herfords preg checked as 7 months brought from $450 to a high of $610 - - - If I had the feed they would have gone home with me.

Grade black cows 3 to about 7 years old preg checking 5 to 6 months brought from $700 to a high of $1,250.

Black and black baldy calves were bringing ( 400-600#) from $1.20 to $1.40 per pound - - - - herfords were discounted about 15%

I have never had herfords - - can someone explain this to me or was it just a fluke that everyone today wanted black????
George - How did the phenotype QUALITY compare between the "Red's" and the "Blacks"? In other words, was there a difference in quality between the two enough to justify the price differential?

DOC HARRIS

Mike, yeah..that's what we figured. Normally our WDA is about 2.5, but we got a very cool wet spring, and then got 3.5 inches of rain in early June. We didn't even start getting nights much above freezing until about mid-June. So as a result, when the heat finally did come, the pastures and fields sucked up all the moisture, jumped about 1/2 inch in height every day for a few weeks and didn't contain any protein worth a damn. It was a very poor year for quality hay in our area this year. Lots of it, but nothing in it. I doubt it has much more protein than barley straw. WDA up till August probably wasn't much more than 1 lb a day....but calves took off once we got them on the hayfield regrowth. Conditions had totally changed by that point.

Aaron said:
Mike, yeah..that's what we figured. Normally our WDA is about 2.5, but we got a very cool wet spring, and then got 3.5 inches of rain in early June. We didn't even start getting nights much above freezing until about mid-June. So as a result, when the heat finally did come, the pastures and fields sucked up all the moisture, jumped about 1/2 inch in height every day for a few weeks and didn't contain any protein worth a damn. It was a very poor year for quality hay in our area this year. Lots of it, but nothing in it. I doubt it has much more protein than barley straw. WDA up till August probably wasn't much more than 1 lb a day....but calves took off once we got them on the hayfield regrowth. Conditions had totally changed by that point.

I understand, sorry you had such bad luck during summer. That's kinda what we go through during spring-summer. So much moisture in the grass they can't eat enough to fulfill their needs.

I thought the Herfords were very good - - carried themselves well - - good flesh - - - had registration papers showing 3 to 5 years of age - - - could not find any faults except for the color.

The blacks were OK but nothing special.

I have not been to a sale for several years and don't know if this is the norm in this area but I would have brought the reds home if I had been set up for them! I figure I could have bred them black and sold baldy calves and made money. I'm sure I could have calved them out and butchered the cows and come out ahead of the game.

George,

What you are seeing is the result of years of marketing work by the Angus folks. Agree or disagree with the Angus breed, you gotta tip your hat to them as far as marketing,

PPRM

Latest posts