• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

weaning weights

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Welcome to Ranchers.net, rm Livestock!

The only one who weaned and sold anything from spring 2006 here, was our son, Al. His first 4-H Cattle Breeding cow had a Hereford-Char cross bull about mid-April, Al sold him (I think) the first part of October, he weighed 550#. He was the cow's second calf (her first calf was Al's Grand Champion Heifer at our Fair last August).

I guess that's pretty good, he got $1/# for him, sold at Belen, NM. It's one of the higher dollar sales in NM.........Roswell is the other one. If you take anything down to Deming, you might as well just give it away, I think that's because it's so close to the US/Mexico border, and they can bring cattle over for less than they can buy legal ones here. I don't know that they do that, but it makes sense, considering how much difference there is in sale prices between there and any other sale in the state........ :?

Are Highest was 800 the lowest but were the youngest of the group were in the mid 400s. We only creep the last few weeks before weaning. We were happy with the weights this year.

On the home place, the calves were 70 pounds lighter.

With my lease cattle the calves were 12 pounds lighter.

The difference?

1) A planned rotational grazing system is in place on the lease cattle ranch, and has been for 15+ years. On the home place, it is the same pasture rotation that has gone on for 10+ years.

2) Hybrid vigor is decreasing on the home place compared to the other place with a planned crossbreeding system resulting in cows that are more susceptable to environmental stress.

Badlands

My average calving date was april 1st. I weaned on november 15th. Sold the calves on December 11th after 741 vac program and feeding for 28 days. Steers ave. 720 and heifers 700. Thanks for your response. Averaged $675 per head

I never worry about weaning weight too much.
I always figure out what our calves gained per head per day while
on the cow. That's a real eye opener. I give all the calves an 80 lb.
birthweight, because we don't weigh them at birth. We aren't a reg.
outfit so I just pick a number based on weighing a few calves.

Older calves might weigh more when sold, but they don't
necessarily bring you the most profit. I always chuckle about
people who calve in Feb., sell in Nov. and tell you how heavy their
calves were. 10 month old calves should way outweigh 61/2 to
7 month old calves.

We calve end of March, and sell by Oct. 10th.
The calves generally gain 3 lbs. a day on their mothers.
We weigh them when we precondition which is two-weeks
to a month before we sell them.

That scale and getting individual weighs really shows what the
cows are doing for the calves. Not that astute stockmen
can't eyeball them and tell, they can. The scale more or less
makes it official. We would rather get the calves off the cow
while they are gaining well. Helps the cow too.

Calves here last fall were 30-70 lbs. lighter.

I know lots of years where the calves really don't gain anything from the end of August on (Jan/ Feb calves).

If I had lots of time I would wean in August and let the cows rest, but I tend to let the cows look after them until I have time to start chores.

I wouldn't do it that way if I was selling fresh weaned calves. I would sell earlier or calve later, or both.

3 pounds a day is about the best anyone is going to do on the cow on average.

We calve in March and April, and weigh the calves in September. At a 183 day average our calves averaged 424 lbs, 2.33 adg. We sold in October, and our big steers averaged 592 lbs.

We were pleased with our calf crop in '06. We started calving April 15 and had 2/3 of the crop down in the first 3 weeks. The rest dragged out for another 6-8 weeks.:(

It started out dry and after the first flush of grass, we had to feed our cows for most of June until we got some good soaking rains to push the grass again. Once it restarted, it kept growing until early October, which is unusually long for here.

So the cows milked and the calves grew! The calves were on 5#/head/day of Masterfeed's Ruf'-n- Ready creep for 6 weeks before sale date whuch was Nov.27.

One larger group of steer calves averaged 667# @ $1.24 1/2. The light end of the steers was a small package weighing 531# @ $1.28.

The heifers were very uniform and sold in one group averaging 559# outselling the steers on average @$1.27. Never had that happen before.

Our calves were heavier than last year by 50 lbs. but were sold 2 weeks later and had a better creep program.

I would very happily take the same results next year! :) And If I could do it with the numbers that most Westerner's run . . .

Latest posts