• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Weaning

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rem_243

Reaction score
I searched a little on weaning and didn't really find what i was looking for. Do any of you wean by sorting the calves off the cows, hauling the calves away, and turing the cows back out on pasture? Or are you asking for a wreck by not locking up the cows for a couple days? Thanks

rem_243 said:
I searched a little on weaning and didn't really find what i was looking for. Do any of you wean by sorting the calves off the cows, hauling the calves away, and turing the cows back out on pasture? Or are you asking for a wreck by not locking up the cows for a couple days? Thanks

We've done that for years with no problems... I would estimate the biggest share of calves in this area are weaned that way- with the pastures being gathered about the end of Oct.- and the calves sorted off and shipped- and the cows being turned back out on pasture...

Thats the way I do it never have any problems most cows get over it shortly and the calves are here at home 12 miles away in a rod iron corral.Or on a truck headed to a feedlot out of ear shot.

Sure works good here. I like to leave the cows penned for the day, and turn them loose when they a hungry enough to put their head down instead of pace the pasture.

That's how we do it too...ship the calves and turn the cows back out of our corral so they can go out in the field we gathered from that morning. A good trick we do then is two days later we regather all those balling cows to the same corrals and preg-test them. They are ready to get the heck out of the corral and don't want anything to do with them anymore and are ready to hit their fall pasture by the next day. Even the young cows behave the same way! Your not asking for a wreck, works for us! :wink:

We have done the wean and haul, fenceline, peel cows off, peel calves off, etc. They have all worked well for us. Sometimes the best way is to peel the cows off and corral them, and then turn the calves back into the pasture they just came from.
Ditto on the electricity, and it works great if you can booster your vaccines a couple of weeks pre-weaning. I think even if calves are shipped right off the cow, the feedlot down the road will thank you.
Keep your dogs tied up.
We keep all our calves post-weaning so it is really important to us to wean them quietly and get them off to a good start.

Latest posts