• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Weaning

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
We weaned one bunch of calves yesterday. I know, we don't do it the "correct" way. We load them on the truck, I get to listen to cows bawl, and the guys that own the cattle get to watch the calves hit the feed bunk.

weaning012.jpg

weaning002.jpg

weaning005.jpg

Getting them gathered.One of the buses waiting to take the kids home.

DSC00542.jpg

Kids waiting to get on the bus

DSC00529.jpg

Pushing calves to the chute.

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

Discussing the calves, and solving the world problems.

DSC00527.jpg

The next truck was backed up to the chute, and I had a new riding partner.

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00543.jpg

The loaders.

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00537.jpg

Of course it wouldn't be any fun if things went perfect. The last trailer couldn't navigate the sand, so I had to demo my 400 dollar tractor.

DSC00551.jpg

Sorry Mike I had to do it.

DSC00556.jpg

Other then 1 calf that got left behind do to its ability to use the trees and canyons to its advantage, we sent all the calves home. I've got a picture of the calves eating at the bunk, but I have to figure out how to get it from my phone to the computer.

Just to show you that I am not against trying other forms of weaning.

004.jpg

005.jpg

The only 2 calves that will spend the winter here. The cows came hunting me this morning, out of a 1200 acre pasture. I think maybe they don't like the no bawl weaning, cause the cows were sure bawling at me. And since these are Longhorn calves, we had to rope them to put the weaners in. :p

I used the nose blabs this yer and really like them. Getting ready to do another 120 calves tomorrow. They sure keep the stress down on calves.

BRG said:
Nice photos. I think a good GRA bull would look good down there :)

One of the guys that owns the cows is now a member on here, maybe he'll chime in on that.

How much problem do you have with infections and making sore in their noses. I have noticed that it makes a big difference who puts them in. If they are put in rough there is lots of sores and infected noses if they are handled right not as much problem..

When I did my 2 last year, it was cold, and the plastic didn't want to give. My first time of using them, and I put the first one in backwards. The calves still weren't sore. Not saying that they are the best things to use, but when you only have 2 calves, its hard to justify penning either the cows or calves.

Do you have facebook on your phone? if so just upload and transfer LOL
If not set up your emaill and email them to yourself. I know my new phone I have to upload to facebook.
Glad yall had a great day.

Not sure where GRA bulls are from since new to this way of communicating!? We use all red bulls but that bunch of cows is bred limousin for the free advantage of heterosis! I use all red angus bulls on my other cows. Oh yeah the calves are eating well so am pleased with this method of weaning!

kbar2 said:
Not sure where GRA bulls are from since new to this way of communicating!? We use all red bulls but that bunch of cows is bred limousin for the free advantage of heterosis! I use all red angus bulls on my other cows. Oh yeah the calves are eating well so am pleased with this method of weaning!

The GRA bulls would be Gill Red Angus, from Timber Lake. The little shotgun chaps that Lisa made were for BRG, so we have had this banter going on for a long time. I do think the GRA bulls would work great on your cows at Platte.

kbar2 said:

I was thinking these were WP's cattle, didn't know they were yours. I was just having fun with him and as I have done in the past with him, I was jokingly telling him he needs to get a bull of mine down there. But I would gladly get one to you as well. :)

I do recieve your sale catalog and you do have great looking cattle! I also hear your customer service is second to none!! maybe in the future we can get together on some bulls!

kbar2 said:
I do recieve your sale catalog and you do have great looking cattle! I also hear your customer service is second to none!! maybe in the future we can get together on some bulls!

Thanks for the compliments!

Latest posts