• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Weaning

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Neighbor asked me to help haul some calves they were weaning on Wednesday. I don't know why they were weaning. There sure looked to be plenty of grass and everything was in good shape. But not my monkey not my circus. I was told to be there at noon. I got there at 11:50. The cattle didn't arrive at the trap until 12:30. Then they had to sort off the cows. That went fairly quick. Two guys horse back and one guy on foot guarding the gate and turning back any calves. But it was still 2:00 by the time I got my first load out. It was 102 degrees. I spent most of the time in the pickup with the AC on full blast. But the sun shining through the windows still made it hot. No shade in sight. The first time I went to move I just rocked the trailer a bit. Two hot cow dogs popped out from under the trailer. When working cows with dogs on a hot day watch out for them getting under things to be in the shade. I have seen several cow dogs get killed this way.

Too hot to do much of anything. Will be hard on the calves for sure. If it's who I think it is, they need to wean now to have them weaned 45 days for the buyer. If it was me I'd wait til it's some cooler no matter what.

Too hot to do much of anything. Will be hard on the calves for sure. If it's who I think it is, they need to wean now to have them weaned 45 days for the buyer. If it was me I'd wait til it's some cooler no matter what.
My thoughts too. It was son not Dad.

Dust and smoke to consider as well. My optimum wean would have been to have the pairs on the green grass near the corrals (maybe I'm making an assumption) for a week to acclimate the calves. I haul the cows a small group at a time. Has worked well on my fall pairs

Last edited:
I at least partially figured why we weaned. Neighbor has a pretty good program of Wagyu cows. Having contacts in that world he has a market for F-1 Wagyu calves. He breeds his replacement heifers to Wagyu for the calving ease. He must have a shipping date for those F-1 calves. Anyway a bunch of those calves came here today to join with the calves out of the BM cows. I am now over run with just weaned calves. Thankfully the weather is cooling. These 50 degree mornings and 100 degree afternoon sure put me on watch for pneumonia.

That red brockle faced steer in the front of the last picture. As a new born his mom put B up on top of the Jeep. She was objecting to her calf being tagged.

P9063024.JPG
P9063025.JPG
P9063026.JPG
P9063026.JPG

Latest posts