• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

weather

Help Support Ranchers.net:

scout

Reaction score
just got blown out of 14 inches of snow now we have a temp of -20 wind chills glad we don't calf in feb :roll:

We got a little skiff of snow but we had the COLD!! Tuesday started the day out at -20 with 20-30 mph winds with wind chill around 30-40 below zero. Today it finally warmed up to 25 and its going to be 40 tomorrow with a chance of some snow this weekend and start of next week. Crazy weather here last week we had 60-65 temps now all this not calving yet but should start in about 2 weeks.

Got to +30 today- and even a little sunshine for awhile... Little wind down here in the valley- but many of the higher elevations have had wind for two days with the warmer temps and chinook winds-- which with the snow we have created huge drifting problems.....
Some roads leading north toward Canada were/are closed and heard reports of 20' high concrete hard drifts they are having to bring in more snowblowers to try and open the roads with...

Our weekly storm is supposed to hit tomorrow- thru the weekend with 3-6" more snow-- and then down into the deep freeze again with minus 20-40 temps..... :(

8 TO 14 DAY OUTLOOK FOR MONTANA NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREAT FALLS MT 340 PM MST THU FEB 3 2011 ...VALID FRI FEB 11 TO THU FEB 17... EAST OF CONTINENTAL DIVIDE TEMPERATURES......BELOW NORMAL PRECIPITATION.....ABOVE NORMAL

8) :roll: :roll: :roll:

I Luv Herfrds said:
Is that all?
Poor OT had -40. We were at -22 a couple days ago and THAT was not counting windchill.

I know it sounds like a walk in the park to a lot of folks on hear but here in Iowa we have this dam thing called humidity it is not so bad int the winter but in the summer when it 90 degrees with 90% humidity it sucks we get the worst of both worlds north and south. I m trying to think of a new breed to be tolerate of are climate I wonder what a scottish highlander and a brahmer cross would look like of course we would have to add a little angus just to make it black. :?

scout said:
I Luv Herfrds said:
Is that all?
Poor OT had -40. We were at -22 a couple days ago and THAT was not counting windchill.

I know it sounds like a walk in the park to a lot of folks on hear but here in Iowa we have this dam thing called humidity it is not so bad int the winter but in the summer when it 90 degrees with 90% humidity it sucks we get the worst of both worlds north and south. I m trying to think of a new breed to be tolerate of are climate I wonder what a scottish highlander and a brahmer cross would look like of course we would have to add a little angus just to make it black. :?

I can get you a picture.

000_0011-2.jpg

Down in Central Texas we are covered with a couple inches of snow, hasn't been above freezing since Tuesday morning..... I know it is nothing compared to most of you but I'm in my mid twenties and can't remember a cold spell like this.

Denny said:
scout said:
I Luv Herfrds said:
Is that all?

I can get you a picture.

000_0011-2.jpg
Denny I think that is the new breed of the midwest kind of a cute little buger we just need to figure out how to get them polled

You better figure how to contain them also that little fart at 400#s could clear a 4 ft gate and try to kick you on the way by. I got so mad one day we cut him for spite and sent him to a feedlot.And talk about wild uffda.

Denny said:
You better figure how to contain them also that little fart at 400#s could clear a 4 ft gate and try to kick you on the way by. I got so mad one day we cut him for spite and sent him to a feedlot.And talk about wild uffda.
should have sold him to a stock contractor as a bucking bull they pay good money for that kind of stock . I know a guy in wisconsin proably would have tried him

Whitewing said:
I feel left out. It hasn't snowed a single time since I've been down here. :?

If it ever snows down there we are all in trouble. :lol:

I got in 255 hd of steers from Mexico yesterday and I thought they would freeze to death, but them boys are out grazing like crazy. They didn't even want hay are range cubes. They are bring me another 200 Saturday or Sunday.

Trinity man said:
Whitewing said:

I got in 255 hd of steers from Mexico yesterday and I thought they would freeze to death, but them boys are out grazing like crazy. They didn't even want hay are range cubes. They are bring me another 200 Saturday or Sunday.

Do ya have to wait til a half moon night and then run them across the border like in the old days? :shock: :D :wink: They'd be cheap that way! :wink: Seriously, how big of a deal is it to bring them across?

Got to 39 here today :) - kids said it was in the mid 40's in town.. And I took advantage of a beautiful day and spent most of it outside..

Who'd a thunk it- 2 days ago we had 40 Below--today 40 Above and tonight freezing rain...A change of 80 degrees.... :shock:
But now its a skating rink out there on top of that snow....

Sounds like a couple of days of snowing and blowing for our weekly weekend storm - and then back in the deep freeze Sunday night with temps going back down to 20 to 40 Below.... :(

leanin' H said:
Trinity man said:
Whitewing said:

Do ya have to wait til a half moon night and then run them across the border like in the old days? :shock: :D :wink: They'd be cheap that way! :wink: Seriously, how big of a deal is it to bring them across?

Indeed. I too would love to hear that story. Start another thread on the topic and include lots of pics.

Was pouring rain here a few hours ago. The beginning of the week we were 50 below with the wind chill ..WTheck ... :???:

Great calving weather .. :roll:

my neck of the woods was on the back edge of this week's blizzard, 6-8 inches was common place around here (at least that's what the NWS had for storm reports), but hard to tell with all the blowing and drifting that it did.

Sounds like most of next week is going to be a cold one here as well. Oh well, it's the Midwest and it's February, makes you appreciate Summer just a tad bit more :wink:

We had 5 hours of hard rain last night along with some strong winds. Everything that was packed or plowed is a skating rink today. Our 30 inches of fluffy snow from three weeks back is now down to ten or so inches of wet slush.
The wolves and coyotes are going to have easy travelling when it freezes.

leanin' H said:
Trinity man said:
Whitewing said:

They are doing it the Loneslome Dove way. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts