• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Week-end photos, August 30, 2010

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Bullstakingadip.jpg

Taking a quick dip
Headingforthehomecorral.jpg

Bulls on the move
North.jpg

Up in "No Man's Land" looking north, using the five-power telescopic lens on my camera
Northeast.jpg

Northeast
East.jpg

East
Southeast.jpg

Southeast
South.jpg

South
Southwest.jpg

Southwest
West.jpg

West
Northwest.jpg

Northwest
Lightningstruckthissoapweed.jpg

Lightning struck this soapweed sometime earlier this summer. Evidently a rain put out the fire.
DelightfulDelilahonduty.jpg

Delightful Delilah on duty
DontsitundertheApple2Ewithanyoneelse.jpg

Don't sit under the Apple 2 E with anyone else but me.
Hypnotistinaction.jpg

Hypnotist in action at the Central States Fair and Range Days Rodeo in Rapid City, South Dakota on Saturday
LongtallcowgirlattheFair.jpg

Long tall cowgirl at the Fair
Rodeoinprogress.jpg

Rodeo in progress
Nicebenchmadewithchainsawart.jpg

Nice bench made with chainsaw art
Gettingbullsintotaketoasale.jpg

Getting in bulls to take to the Martin Livestock Auction today (Monday). I bought the bulls at weaning time last fall for $850
and had a $250 winter feed bill into them. As of turn-out time on May 15th, they had cost me $1100 per head.
Today the fifteen head were all sold together. They weighed 995 pounds each, and brought $91.75 per cwt, totalling $913
per head before expenses. This would make rent amount to right at $200 per bull for the summer breeding season.
PeachandClavinovaassisting.jpg

Peach and Clavinova assisting
AndalsomygoodmulefriendWillyWonka.jpg

And also my good mule friend, Willy Wonka
Thegentlemanintheredshirtran100miles.jpg

Met these gentlemen (father and son) at the gas station on my way home from the sale.
The man in the red shirt is 55 years old, and he competed in a 100-mile marathon
in the Black Hills this past week-end. He ran the hundred miles in 26 hours.
My hat is off to him for this amazing feat with his feet.

Hereford76 said:
what do you mean no man's land... if you squint real hard you can see me just beyond the horizon.

do you sell your young bulls like that every fall?

And I'm not quite as far over the Northwest horizon.

With numbers like that on the bulls sure helps the bottom line. :D

I remember some of that country. There are days to get from point to point you wish you were a crow.

Hereford76 said:
what do you mean no man's land... if you squint real hard you can see me just beyond the horizon.

do you sell your young bulls like that every fall?

Quite a few we do. If yearlings are bought for a reasonable enough price, it works good to sell them in the fall. Bulls two years old are the worst age to sell (by the pound), so if they are kept over until two, it probably pays to keep them until they are three. By then they weigh enough to bring top cull bull price. Most of our bulls get sold as yearlings.

The ones sold Monday were all purchased from the same source and were low-birthweight bulls that were used on yearling heifers this summer.

TXTibbs said:
Man 'O Man I want that bench!!! How much and where do I pick it up?

I should have looked closer, both at the price and the name of the chainsaw artist that did it. It was on display at the Central States Fair in Rapid City.

TXTibbs said:
Man 'O Man I want that bench!!! How much and where do I pick it up?

hey Tibbs, i could make you one like that.....it might look a little different, but it will be cheaper. :roll: :wink:

Latest posts