• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Weekend project, June 5 & 6. Pictures included.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WYO HEELER

Reaction score
RSCN0557.JPG

My rig for the weekend.

RSCN0553.JPG

I had a helper for most of the weekend!

RSCN0554.JPG

Jake checking how much seed is left.

RSCN0555.JPG

Checking out the back of the drill.

RSCN0556.JPG

Two cowboys, playing farmer, ready for the ride home!

We had 100 acres of wheat stubble that we needed to do something with, so we decided to plant millet. Saturday was a nice day weather wise and I got about 50 acres done. Sunday was a little worse, I only had to mud in 10 acres. All in all it was a good weekend and everything worked perfectly.

those 1590 drills sure are good , the fella that seeds grass for us has one , the fella west of us is from town , he loaded up his irrigated hay land with a bunch of yearlings , while they were were on it he watered it , after he chewed it off it got pretty hot , then he sprayed it , come next spring I was driving buy and noticed the had a set of Haybuster 107 drills , he was trying to direct seed , about an hour later he showed up in my yard , I guess the 107 wouldn't go in the ground , I wasn't really to surprised , so I give him the fella's number that we use , the next day he was out there going hard , later that year I had to go through his place looked like he got a pretty nice catch

Yeah I don't have any complaints with this drill. It is fairly easy to set up and operate and I really like the down pressure you can get. The only beef I had with it was getting how much seed I wanted planted adjusted. The manual said to jack the drill up and hang some cups below the hoses and catch the seed. Then you were to turn the drive wheel "x" amount of times and then weigh the seed you caught. I ran short of time and just used the chart on the drill. Long story short, I didn't quite get the 20 lbs./ac. I was trying to get, more like 17 lbs./ac.

What does one of those trade for in your area? We have been actively searching and bidding up here and the cost of even an old JD750 or older Haybuster works out pretty pricey, even when I amortize it across all our grain acres for 20 years.
We are working on getting our fuel bills down on a per cow basis.

There aren't a lot of these in this country. This one is a 2009 and it has a price tag of $51,000. This was the first time it has been used. I don't know what a good used one would cost. The fields we planted were winter wheat stubble, we sprayed them with roundup on June 3rd and planted that weekend, with a custome sprayer handling the spraying duties. So thus far we have been across those fields once with our equipment. I am a fan of no-till farming and will see if it is going to work in our area. If it does, we are going to save fuel and moisture!

WYO HEELER said:
Yeah I don't have any complaints with this drill. It is fairly easy to set up and operate and I really like the down pressure you can get. The only beef I had with it was getting how much seed I wanted planted adjusted. The manual said to jack the drill up and hang some cups below the hoses and catch the seed. Then you were to turn the drive wheel "x" amount of times and then weigh the seed you caught. I ran short of time and just used the chart on the drill. Long story short, I didn't quite get the 20 lbs./ac. I was trying to get, more like 17 lbs./ac.
the fella that seeds for us took a spout off and taped a bag on and use a table scale to get a weight , seemed to work

katrina said:
We have a Great Plains drill for sale... Let me know if your interested.... Man I am soooooooooooooo ready for a road trip....
It's a long old haul from Nebraska to 300 miles north of the 49th (LOL), but if you are on a road trip, feel free to drop in any time.

The new 1590's I have seen priced are over $60,000 here. A used 1590 is still running well over 30K...we only seed around 160 acres a year or less, and with grazing management we have not seeded any grass in 15 years, and some places nearing 30. A real expensive drill is not in the cards for us, unless my dad wants to custom operate all spring. :lol:

:D :D :D We had a guy from New Jersey interested in it... We can meet at the canadian boarder.. And who said it was real exspensive... :wink: Hubby bought some tillage equipment a while back and it was quite a trip. We still giggle about our oldest son trying to stop a car load of natives up by Mobridge.... :D

Latest posts