• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Welcome Buttercup

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ok I have a concern. Already called the vet, but would like some thoughts from those who have been in a dairy.
Vet said her bag may have gotten full so quickly it burst some blood vessels. He said to milk her 2-3 times a day.
When we milked the cow last night when I filtered it there was blood in it and what looked like little white clumps.
Checked her bag this morning. No "hot" spots. No sign of redness or tenderness.
There was still blood in the milk this morning.
After milking her I rechecked the bag. No hot areas. The teats were a bit sore and she wouldn't let me hand milk her.
Bag was nice and soft.

Thoughts suggestions or anything?

Yes I am concerned about mastisis.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Ok I have a concern. Already called the vet, but would like some thoughts from those who have been in a dairy.
Vet said her bag may have gotten full so quickly it burst some blood vessels. He said to milk her 2-3 times a day.
When we milked the cow last night when I filtered it there was blood in it and what looked like little white clumps.
Checked her bag this morning. No "hot" spots. No sign of redness or tenderness.
There was still blood in the milk this morning.
After milking her I rechecked the bag. No hot areas. The teats were a bit sore and she wouldn't let me hand milk her.
Bag was nice and soft.

Thoughts suggestions or anything?

been years since I milked cows , but just keep milking her she clear up and you will get house milk in a few more days.

Yes I am concerned about mastisis.

Is mastitis a problem in the winter time? I thought it happened more
often in summer.

We milked a cow for a long, long time. I sold milk and eggs...
anyway, it seems I recall this happening a few times. We threw
the milk away and in a little while it cleared up. But I can't
remember the bag being sore, so it might be something different.

ILH the blood clots are common ,and what your vet said, burst milk vein and you just milk them until it clears up . Could be a couple days or even a week or two depending on the cow .

BUT the white clots are mastitis, milk her out still and then infuse the teats of the infected quarters with a mastitis product . We like to use a product called Special Formula. Follow withdrawal from milk periods and she should be good to go. Keep milking her through all of this.

Good luck and like I said , not uncommon to happen in a dairy cow. She must have caught a bug when she was springing.

Thanks HD. Hubby milked her this evening. got about a gallon.
The blood clots are much smaller and the white clumps are smaller then they were last night.

My first milk cow got mastitis in her right rear quarter. Boy was that quarter hot to touch and tender.
So I was just wondering if they could get it without showing those signs. Thanks for answering my question.

This is our little Buttercup born on Sat.Her dam is a Jersey/Holstein and the calf is sired by a Jersey
[mg
-005.jpg
][/img]
-006.jpg
-004.jpg
-006.jpg

Blood clots and white clumps are gone. Getting close to 2 gallons a day. We are just milking her once a day and leaving the calf on her.

LazyWP here is our milking machine.
IMG_6092.jpg

Bucket
IMG_6093.jpg

Milking away
IMG_6095.jpg

Thanks for the picture of the milking machine. If I can find one of them, I might get me a milk cow!

Big Muddy rancher said:
LazyWP said:
Thanks for the picture of the milking machine. If I can find one of them, I might get me a milk cow!

What do you mean " get me a milk cow"?

You already have 2 longhorns. :wink: :D :D :D

One of my horns actually has a decant udder, but her horns won't fit in the stanchion, and she is just a bit "hooky". :mad:

Latest posts