• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Welding sucker rod onto drill stem?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AC Diesel

Reaction score
I'm doing some corral work and was wondering if any of you have welded sucker rod onto your drill stem post's.
I see some people sell a 3/8 round clip to weld on to hold the rod instead of welding the rod directly onto the post.
Just wondering what's better and why, open to any suggestions.
Thanks AC

The logical reason being for expansion and contraction, causing the weld to break loose. Drill stem is magnetic and can sometimes be a bummer to weld on and for it to hold.

Having built pens out of drill stem and sucker rod, what I do is blow a hole in the drill stem and run the sucker rod thru it. Cut the box or pin off, your choice, and run the 30 ft joint thru the holes. At the corner put the cutoff end in the hole and weld it in there. Then cut the opposite end off the next sucker rod so you can screw the ends together. That way you can cut the hole the size of the sucker rod and not the size of the ends.
Weld the sucker rod to the posts on both sides. Works better than clips.
I also run 2 3/8 tubing around the top, cutting a saddle in the top of the post and laying the tubing in the saddle and welding it in.
All of this takes a little more time, but it will be there to stay and outlive you.

I saw a pen once, had holes cut in the pipes, and sucker rod ran through it... then ducktaped the large holes, and filled the pipes with concrete to prevent water rotting out the pipes.... if we build another corral, this is the way I am going to go.

We use clamps that are built and sold by a neighbour here. I much prefer them over welding. They are indestructible, you can assemble a continuous rail corral anywhere with just a 9/16" wrench and if a cow does get in a wreck you don't need a cutting torch to solve the problem. They sell different sizes, but we use the 2 7/8 pipe x 7/8 rod version. Spray WD40 in the end of the rods when you start working and away you go.
I usually take a generator, chop saw and 2-1" wrenches with me to screw the rods together.

I can haul enough materials on a flatdeck to build huge corral and don't need a tractor to set it up like with the large ready built panels. We use 10' pipe pounded 4' into the ground, or else I use pipe welded into a T that is 6' across the bottom and 6' high. Total cost with the availability of pipe and rod here is about $6.50 a running foot for a 6 bar fence.

I found some pics of the clamps in action but they don't seem to want to post.

Like the clips. Expansion, contraction, ease of repair. Used to run a feedlot that was 100% this design with a solid pipe for the top rail. Liked it very much.

Thanks for the tips guys I found some really nice clips today at the local iron man's shop. I think I'll give them a try.

RSL if you use a clamp do you then weld a rod vertically say every 4' to tie the rods to the top rail, tying everything together like a panel?

RSL said:
We use clamps that are built and sold by a neighbour here. I much prefer them over welding. They are indestructible, you can assemble a continuous rail corral anywhere with just a 9/16" wrench and if a cow does get in a wreck you don't need a cutting torch to solve the problem. They sell different sizes, but we use the 2 7/8 pipe x 7/8 rod version. Spray WD40 in the end of the rods when you start working and away you go.
I usually take a generator, chop saw and 2-1" wrenches with me to screw the rods together.

I can haul enough materials on a flatdeck to build huge corral and don't need a tractor to set it up like with the large ready built panels. We use 10' pipe pounded 4' into the ground, or else I use pipe welded into a T that is 6' across the bottom and 6' high. Total cost with the availability of pipe and rod here is about $6.50 a running foot for a 6 bar fence.

Do you know if a guy can get those claps south of the border? Not sure how atrocious shipping would be.

AC Diesel said:
Thanks for the tips guys I found some really nice clips today at the local iron man's shop. I think I'll give them a try.

RSL if you use a clamp do you then weld a rod vertically say every 4' to tie the rods to the top rail, tying everything together like a panel?

Just clamp to the posts. Depending on the pressure on the fence we put posts either 8 or 10' apart.

rem_243 said:
RSL said:

Do you know if a guy can get those claps south of the border? Not sure how atrocious shipping would be.

I am sure they would ship them, but they are fairly heavy. I have never seen them advertised anywhere other than by these folks.

I've welded a corral by just welding the sucker rod straight to the drill stem. It's been about fifteen years and had no problems out of it.

Latest posts