• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Well snakes are out

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Well snake season has definitely arrived. Killed that one on the road yesterday. Just now I took a block of salt up to the cows. I had Edna's quad because mine is in getting serviced. Coming down the hill I looked down and nearly ran over a rattle snake. Looked like he was busy getting out of the way of the front tire. Both dogs with me and no shovel on Edna's quad. I went to the bottom of the hill Took the dogs into the house and grabbed my pistol (it was closer than a shovel). Went back and killed it. With the head cut off it was a hair under 36 inches so easily over 36 inches. It had 11 rattles. You can see from the picture how close it was to the house. One less snake is a good thing.
P6022923.JPG
P6022924.JPG

The guy we bought this place from said he only killed the ones in the yard. I kill every one I see. In the yard or 10 miles from home.

A rattlesnake serves no good purpose in my opinion. Bullsnakes do rodent control better and while not something I enjoy seeing, I don't worry about dying from getting bit. So far only snake tracks on the hayfield road and no sighting which suits me fine.

The guy we bought this place from said he only killed the ones in the yard. I kill every one I see. In the yard or 10 miles from home.
I'm surprised that at your elevation, you have snakes.
Maybe I'm just wrongly assuming you are at a higher elevation.
When we lived in SW Montana, there were no snakes.
We had a friend who travelled around and he milked rattlesnakes. 😲
He skinned them and made things from the skins. (YUK!)
He got bit several times and finally the doctor told him, "you get bit one more time
and you are a dead man." So with that warning, he quit doing it.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that at your elevation, you have snakes.
Maybe I'm just wrongly assuming you are at a higher elevation.
When we lived in SW Montana, there were no snakes.
We had a friend who travelled around and he milked rattlesnakes. 😲
He skinned them and made things from the skins. (YUK!)
He got bit several times and finally the doctor told him, "you get bit one more time
and you are a dead man." So with that warning, he quit doing it.
The house is at about 2,700 feet. My son saw one while deer hunting last fall. He had to be close to 5,000 feet. Nicky is higher than we are and that neighborhood has a reputation for all the snakes in that area.

yeah the two legged ones been calling, they want to list the ranch, or have buyers. Land Pimps and Lawyers are both 2 legged snakes.
I get at least 3 callsa week from someonewanting to buy my place. None of them sound like they are from the USA. If they cannot pronounce my name corectly, I tell them to go to H.

I tell them to go to H.
I didn't know that H was looking to sell......

This place is made up of 3 parcels 1,205 acres total. There is one parcel that is 40 acres. About once a week I get a letter from some outfit or another wanting to buy that 40 acre parcel. Hmmmm, 40 acres of landlocked sage brush with no water, electricity about a mile away, and over a mile from the nearest road. I am sure they really want to buy that piece of ground for big bucks.

I get at least 3 callsa week from someonewanting to buy my place. None of them sound like they are from the USA. If they cannot pronounce my name corectly, I tell them to go to H.
these guys are the glossy book, glossy flyer western , buy a hunting , recreation ranch types. One my dad did the big development at Big Sky

I didn't know that H was looking to sell......

This place is made up of 3 parcels 1,205 acres total. There is one parcel that is 40 acres. About once a week I get a letter from some outfit or another wanting to buy that 40 acre parcel. Hmmmm, 40 acres of landlocked sage brush with no water, electricity about a mile away, and over a mile from the nearest road. I am sure they really want to buy that piece of ground for big bucks.
Was up on the Gros Ventre ,My father in-law was hunting Big Horns. I was trying to find my horses, they lived a few summers in hobbles. My father in laws and the horses he barrowed just sulked and stayed in camp. Well sue and I came upon a Big Horn Sheep hunter , he had a topo map and was doing a bit more cross country then us. He told us a story that he owned a large sheep ranch just out side of a Wyoming City. There was an 80 acre that stuck out into his ranch. That a developer had gotten hold of. Over the years all the lots were sold and houses built. With every year more and more lambs lost to dogs. Well his foramen grabbed a ranch Dog that was in heat and he tied her up just over a hill from the subdivision and he shot lot of dogs. the problem was he loaded them up and put one on every lawn in the subdivision. Well they got a big payment in court, but then the Judge cut it way back saying the home owners had to take some responsibility. But he said his Lawyer bill was still very high.

What did I do to you Damengineer????
Geez I thought we was friends. 😂😂😂
I was trying to be nice like my sainted Mama taught me. I meant I tell them to go to Hell. I have an old friend who works my place North of Chickasha, OK He has 110 acres that is next to a piece of my land that is cut off by the BNSF railroad. He was offered $3500 an acre for it. I had thought about buying it when it was only $1000 an acre. I had looked earlier and it had 3 phase power line within 1/4 mile of it. That was the reason I would want it. My place doesn't have 3 phase. I would bet that they want to put a grow house on it. There are 2 on that road within 3 miles of it. there ar ea lot of old timers here in OK that have heirs who don't want the land, only the money. Foreigners are buying big tracts of land all around western OK. The high fertilizer and fuel costs are making me sell down a herd I have worked 10 years to build up. Fertilizer is too high to take a chance on it getting washed off. 4x5 bales will be at least $100 this fall. If I can sell any at that price, I can't afford to feed it... My cows don't bring anything at the sale, and no one is buying private treaty either..

Latest posts