• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Welsh Blacks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Doc, sorry it took so long to get back to the boards and see your question. I think the cross you have in mind all depends on your own conditions, just like so many things we've all contemplated before. If you want some square, muscled-up 'clubby' type steers that will make order buyers squirm, I'm sure the right Maine bull on Welsh or Galloway cows would do the trick. NOTE: I said 'right' Maine bull.

If you want ranch-type cattle - specifically females - that will last to a ripe old age(over 15 consistently), functioning in sync with our environment, then in my opinion, Maines have no place in the recipe. Galloway, Welsh, Hereford, Shorthorn, Highlands, Devons, Luings, and maybe even some Angus :p , all come to my mind when I think of efficiency, survival and function. Maines do not.

Conversely, when I think of incredible gains/day, explosive growth curves, and big weaning/yearling weights, I think Maine, Limo, Charolais, Simmy and what-have-you. It's all a matter of needs and wants I think.

And my needs are moderate-framed, fat, fleshy cows that don't push the bar on growth, but rather raise the roof on profits. It's taken a few years for me to see that, but at last I know what I want in a cow herd. Now if only I had the money to buy Kaiser's. :lol:

Latest posts