• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Went fishing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
I have been complaining because the outboard motor on my boat is toast. I want to go fishing. Last week we were over by the Malheur reservoir. There was half a dozen people well spread out fishing from the bank. I said these people wouldn't all be over in the middle of no where fishing if they weren't catching anything. So this morning after changing irrigation we went over there to fish. We were there an hour and a half total. That included tying on hook, baiting, etc. I caught two beautiful Rainbow Trout. One 17 inches and the other 16 inches. Had another one on that got away. And 3 bites that never got hooked up. I could have legally caught 3 more but that is plenty of fish for the two of us to have dinner. The wife said it was a very good trip. She didn't have to sit in a rocking boat, hold a pole, and watch for a bite. She walked up the road to take a picture of some Indian Paintbrush . Generally poked around exploring the area. I sat in a lawn chair and watched my pole. The sun was shining it was a beautiful day. Fresh trout and potato salad for dinner tonight.

Attachments

• P5122528.JPG
    P5122528.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 65
  • P5122531.JPG
    P5122531.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 64
  • P5122533.JPG
    P5122533.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 66
Indian Paintbrush, WY state flower! Are those yellow ones Arrowleaf Balsamroot plants?
Old timers always maintained when they bloomed you could turn out on grass because the grass was ready.
Amazing how that works.

NICE FISH. I wish I was so lucky when I went fishing. Maybe I need to stick to the bank, sure can't catch anything
off the boat. Glad you both had an enjoyable day.

Indian Paintbrush, WY state flower! Are those yellow ones Arrowleaf Balsamroot plants?
Old timers always maintained when they bloomed you could turn out on grass because the grass was ready.
Amazing how that works.

NICE FISH. I wish I was so lucky when I went fishing. Maybe I need to stick to the bank, sure can't catch anything
off the boat. Glad you both had an enjoyable day.

I think they are the Arrowleaf Balsamroot. It is hard to tell by the photo if the leaves are triangular which is what distinguishes them from other similar spring yellow wildflowers of the Eastern Oregon mountain desert, the Oregon Sunshine, Lineleaf Fleabane, and the Wooly Groundsel. The darker center might indicate the Lineleaf Fleabane known as the Yellow Desert Daisy, but I would need a closer photo to identify. Fleabane is a shorter variety at 18" while Lineleaf reaches 24." If Webfoot would have held one of his trout alongside we would have a better idea of the height. Because of the center color and leaf shape, we can rule out the Wooly Groundsel.

Attachments

• Arrow.jpeg
    Arrow.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Or sun.jpeg
    Or sun.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Fleabane.jpeg
    Fleabane.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Wooily.jpeg
    Wooily.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I think they are the Arrowleaf Balsamroot. It is hard to tell by the photo if the leaves are triangular which is what distinguishes them from other similar spring yellow wildflowers of the Eastern Oregon mountain desert, the Oregon Sunshine, Lineleaf Fleabane, and the Wooly Groundsel. The darker center might indicate the Lineleaf Fleabane known as the Yellow Desert Daisy, but I would need a closer photo to identify.
Not the yellow flowers. They are every where right now. She was taking a picture of the red ones to the right. Indian Paintbrush.

Not the yellow flowers. They are every where right now. She was taking a picture of the red ones to the right. Indian Paintbrush.
I know, but FH was inquiring about the yellow ones. When I lived in the area both Arrowleaf and Lineleaf were everywhere in the spring.

Last edited:
Yes. I know what she was focusing on. I love Indian Paintbrush and have a framed photo of some that I took.
I noticed the yellow flowers as well. We have them here on hillsides, so I was wondering if the yellow ones were the Arrowleaf Balsamroot.

Mountain Cowgirl, I don't think the one you pictured are the Arrowleaf Balsamroot. The leaf on those are so distinctive. However, any wild flower is beautiful.

Latest posts