• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Went to a bred heifer sale today, Dec 20, 2008

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Someofthestaffandmanagementatthesal.jpg

Some of the staff and management of Valentine Livestock Auction
Bredheifersgoingthroughthering.jpg

Bred heifers going through the ring

Went to a bred heifer sale today in Valentine. The market was not too bad on some, but a little uneven all the way through. Topping the sale was 12 head of black baldies that were AIed to calve Feb 20 for four days. They weighed 1146# and brought $1220 per head. Next best was 24 Angus to calve Feb 20 for four days. They weighed 1177# and brought $1200 per head. A lot of the heifers ended up bringing approximately a dollar per pound. Some of the lighter weighing and later calving heifers brought down to around $900. Some red Angus heifers weighing about 1050# that will calve mid April through mid May brought $950. It was a good cold wintery day to not be either selling or buying. :wink:

Dollar/lb. has been catching about everything this way too--I think there is going to be a lot of guys calving heifers that weren't planning on it....

I was just talking to the Harland's at hockey today-really good Simmental outfit that sells just about all their bulls to commercial men-a couple hundred commercial simm/herf and simm/red angus breds averaged $1100 last Friday. The high selling bull was $9100 to another commercial outfit. Nice to see a good practical outfit rewarded.

This whole bred female market has been crazy this fall/winter. Some sales are 900-1300, others are wrecks. We're selling more bred heifers in our production sale with RKaiser this year, than ever before, so I'm anxious to see how it goes. Feb. 21st is sale day, and that's 2 months away, but who knows what will change between now and then?

Northern Rancher said:
I was just talking to the Harland's at hockey today-really good Simmental outfit that sells just about all their bulls to commercial men-a couple hundred commercial simm/herf and simm/red angus breds averaged $1100 last Friday. The high selling bull was $9100 to another commercial outfit. Nice to see a good practical outfit rewarded.

Did the bull go to the Y-Coulee boys?

Latest posts