• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Went to an old cowboy's funeral today, July 8, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
FranklinJacksonalong-timefriend.jpg

Franklin Jackson, a long-time friend and neighbor passed away last Sunday. He was 94, and his funeral
was today. Here is a photo of him taken three years ago. He has written two books of history of the Sandhills,
and they are very interesting reading. The titles are ECHOES OF THE SANDHILLS, and TANGLED TALES AND
TRAILS OF THE SANDHILLS. His efforts in preserving local history are very much appreciated.

He looked like the sorta guy you could sit at that picnic table with for hours, never eat a bite. But leave full and satisfied, with the wisdom and knowledge, he could share.

I love listening to them old men. Thats one thing I will miss when I quit going to the sale barns. These old men and women have a history that no one can match. Thier was one old man that that sat with me in Nacogdoches that talk about the old days like it was yesterday. We lost him about 7 years ago, he was 95 and was still buying calves and growing them out until the day he die.

I'm going to Services tomorrow

Harmon D. (Rip) Smith

September 9, 1931 - June 27, 2011

Rip passed away peacefully at home in Hollister after a lengthy illness.
Rip is survived by his wife of 36 years Kathleen, son Christopher Smith (Jody) of San Juan Bautista, daughters Lisa Holifield, of Hollister and Cynthia Holthouse (Brian) of San Juan Bautista, his three grandchildren Grant Johnson, Salinas, Clint and Sarah Holthouse San Juan Bautista, brother Howard Smith Turlock, niece Dana Jackson, nephew Mark Smith, of San Jose.
He was preceded in death by his oldest grandson Cole Young in 2006 and sister Peggy Harris in 2009.
A cowboy all his life, he was a Lifetime Member of the Pro Rodeo Cowboy Association and the Calif Reined Cow Horse Association.
A celebration of his life will be held at the Holthouse Ranch on July 10, 2011, at 2:00 P.M., 4800 San Juan Canyon Rd., San Juan Bautista.
Contributions may be made to the "Justin Cowboy Crisis Fund" 101 Pro Rodeo Drive, Colorodo Springs, CO, 80919.

Soapweed said:
rancherfred said:
I don't know if you heard, but the father of your old friend from my neighborhood was laid to rest yesterday.

I did hear that, but wasn't able to get there. Did you attend the funeral?

I didn't but my parents were there. They just had a small grave side service.

Sending prayers to the families who lost "old cowboys"

Soap I love that picture he looked like he was fun to be around had the face of a kid....wonder what he was going to do next LOL

MsSage said:
Sending prayers to the families who lost "old cowboys"

Soap I love that picture he looked like he was fun to be around had the face of a kid....wonder what he was going to do next LOL

I just hope his fingers aren't stuck in the picnic table. :wink:

Latest posts