• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Went to the sale barn today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jkvikefan

Reaction score
100_0036.jpg

A few of the calves they had today. Would guess they had 100 babies. I bought 5 of them.
100_0037.jpg

Some more little guys
100_0038.jpg

Pen of feeders
100_0039.jpg

Some of the bulls
100_0040.jpg

Some fats
100_0041.jpg

Some finished holsteins along the far wall

So mostly dairy breeds?I saw a belted galloway bull i think,couple angus,have'nt seen bull holding pens like that.What did you buy?Dairy calves?

I buy baby bull calves and raise to about 400lbs. and yes holstein is the predominant breed. Calves were selling for $35 - 70 range with a few bringing close to $100 near the end of the calf sale. I tent to buy the cheaper calves. I have as good of luck with those as any.I bought 5 calves and wrote a check for $147.75. And $13.50 of that was for the vet certificate to get them back into Illinois.

jkvikefan said:
I buy baby bull calves and raise to about 400lbs. and yes holstein is the predominant breed. Calves were selling for $35 - 70 range with a few bringing close to $100 near the end of the calf sale. I tent to buy the cheaper calves. I have as good of luck with those as any.I bought 5 calves and wrote a check for $147.75. And $13.50 of that was for the vet certificate to get them back into Illinois.
Quite a few dairy calves go through our sale in Fallon,Nevada.Day olds for about $10,a few months for about $50.Jerseys tend to go higher.Some good young jersey heifers went for $275.If ya need a good milk cow that's pretty good.

I saw some dairy steers sell in Montgomery, Alabama today. They were right at 200 pounds and went for $32 to $36 per CWT.

Blkbuckaroo said:
So mostly dairy breeds?I saw a belted galloway bull i think,couple angus,have'nt seen bull holding pens like that.What did you buy?Dairy calves?

I have only seen two Red belted Galloway bulls in my life. Real neat sale barn looks like it would be hard to clean and ventliate.

How many animals would that sales facility hold? Are there more pens outside? Around here only the ring is inside, the cattle are otherwise outside.

To be honest the pictures make it look a little brighter and cleaner than it is. There are only a couple of pens that are not under cover.I didn't get to take too many pictures as I was told that they have a policy of NO CAMERAS. In the past it wasn't uncommon to have to wait in line for an hour to unload but now most of the time you can just wheel right on up to the chutes.... $32 for 200 lb'ers would put me out of the calf business in a big hurry.

Jerseys tend to go higher
Here they get discounted. :cry: But I just keep hoping the price just hold steady till after fall. I have 6 I am going to sell. I have to be able to buy a trailer to move my last 2 when I move. I cant bring myself to sell one that comes when I call and will walk beside me with no halter and listens to voice commands.

Here at the barn on Jan 2nd they sold 50 calves for an average of about $6 per head.Cold weather that day and this barn is'nt baby calf friendly as far as price goes.More of a beef cattle barn.

Latest posts