• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

West Nile Virus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kolanuraven

Reaction score
It is thought that when infected with West Nile you do have a life long immunity to the disease but that will lessen over time.

And, this speculation comes from a friend of mine in ATL who works for the CDC. It is something they are looking at.

It seems that people in the Southern/Southeastern climes tend to have developed a built in, varying degrees of it, resistance to the West Nile.

That ' theory' comes from the pure fact that we get bit more often by skeeters and some are/ will be carriers of West Nile.

Here, they now wonder if what we Southern folks called the Summer Flu was in fact West Nile. It affects/effects diff people in and on diff levels.

Plus, dark clothing is thought to draw the skeeters .

Again, this is some thoughts from the world of science...and I know most of you will instantly snarl at it......but it's just random information.

Up here when it first showed up it hit the Magpie population hard. Now they seem to have rebounded so the immunity from infection seems to make sense.
It does seem to affect people differently as most are over it before the test confirming comes back yet others are hospitalized and some do die.

It seems that with West Nile, there is such a varying degree of symptoms. No two people have the same story. Some of the symptoms are excruciating headaches, rashes, joint ailments, high fevers, vision loss, hearing loss, and the like. Some recover completely; others "almost" recover, and yet others are crippled for life. Some get over it in a few days; others it takes a few weeks; some a few months; and some show the effects for years. West Nile is similar to polio in many ways. One common denominator is the fact that everyone gets so tired. This is sure my case. After a round of rigorous exercises, I am ready for another nap. :)

Soapweed said:
It seems that with West Nile, there is such a varying degree of symptoms. ... After a round of rigorous exercises, I am ready for another nap. :)

I might be a chronic case... :( :wink:

One thing that I believe I would never had made the recovery if I didn,t get in the pool and I am not a water guy I would tell everyone to do exercise in the water --remember they use it for horses---as for as immunity they don,t know---one thing we did here is try to get a needle but no one seems that interested =having it for horses not far from humans-up here in 2007 they called us the pioneers for it also its a nerve attack if a nurse walked by the bed the breeze would affect you--the ones that seem not to remember this were out of it when most of the pain came-one lady here has been on ventilator and stomach tube since 2007

I can't tell you the last time I heard of anyone near abouts getting sick with it.

It's been years....................

Big Muddy rancher said:
Up here when it first showed up it hit the Magpie population hard. Now they seem to have rebounded so the immunity from infection seems to make sense.
It does seem to affect people differently as most are over it before the test confirming comes back yet others are hospitalized and some do die.

Yeah and when it first hit we saw lots more sick horses... Then as time passed they seemed to build a resistance too... My old Vet thinks many in this area may have had a mild case- never even been noticed- and have already built an immunity... I haven't had a sick horse (that I noticed) in several years... The Doc's are saying the same could be occurring with people...

The oldtimer's say that is what occurred when Sleeping Sickness first hit the area- the first few years it was quite numerous and severe- but over time the horses built an immunity...

A former neighbors son- who is in his 30's and never sick a day, who is a Deputy Sheriff got it-- then it went into Meningitis, he lost his immune system, and has now developed disseminated shingles...

Latest posts