• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

West Nile?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
There are several of us in this area who have had West Nile Virus. Anyone out there who has had it?

What we notice is that we get tired a lot easier.

As long as I work at a steady pace and don't stop, I don't notice I am tired. But if I stop, I feel worn out and it's awful hard to get going again.

I take vitamins and have been eating right, but after a short day of not very hard work, I'm shot! My neighbors who had it say the same thing. Anyone else out there have similar complaints?

I've had west nile. We were on vacation. Didn't know what I had till I got home. Rash, tired, hot and then cold. I guess I don't know what if any problems it's just put one foot in front of another somedays.

Me too. September of 2003. I thought I was allergic to the soap used in the motels. Had a rash on my stomach. Felt like sh**, but didn't think nothing of it. No brain no pain, that's me.. Came home and my Mom said oh my gush girl, you've got west nile... There is alot of times, I don't feel good, but blame it on stress, my lower back hurts me quite oftend, but I have never gotten any medical advice.

When I had the symptoms I went to the Doc. She told me i had it and to come back in 10 days to get a test if I wanted. I asked if there was anything they could do and she said no. So why in hell would I go back?

She said if I got a bad headache to rush in, but I didn't.

All I know is that I was tired and could have slept almost around the clock. Got to feeling better right away until I tried to do anything. Hopefully it will get better with time!

Jinglebob, I didn't go to the doctor. By the time we got back from our trip it had been five days and I was feeling better. I guess I never thought about how I feel to really say yes it's west nile or that I'm plan ass lazy. I take a vitamin everyday and if I don't,-I don't feel quite so good. Alot of times I just figured it's my age and hope as I do get older and over the hump I will feel better. If you find anything out let me know. I simply have to do something with my lower back, life is passing me by and I'm missing out.

katrina said:
Jinglebob, I didn't go to the doctor. By the time we got back from our trip it had been five days and I was feeling better. I guess I never thought about how I feel to really say yes it's west nile or that I'm plan ass lazy. I take a vitamin everyday and if I don't,-I don't feel quite so good. Alot of times I just figured it's my age and hope as I do get older and over the hump I will feel better. If you find anything out let me know. I simply have to do something with my lower back, life is passing me by and I'm missing out.

katrina, what have you done for your lower back so far? Have you had x-rays?

One of my best friends, a guy who is like my brother and suffers from MS, almost died from West Nile in the fall of 2003. Although he was doing well with the MS, after months in and out of the hospital with West Nile, he is now wheel chair bound and probably will be for the rest of his life. His wife and a neighbor, who was a supper guest of theirs, both got it at the same time and they have had no after effects at all, except for a getting tired a little sooner than they used to.

Not to make light of the subject of West Niles-but I feel that way during calving,working cattle in Apr. and during wheat harvest and on other occassions! Hopefully it is age and work!

Thanks all for your comments. there is a bunch that no one knows about this deal. Hopefully we will get more strength as we go along. And Rowdy, I know exactly what you are saying! :lol:

I didn't pay much attention until this spring. Just thought it was part of getting older, but when I string a little wire and put some clips on and it wears me out, then I got to thinking about it.

One good thing. I rode a good young horse moving cattle most of the day on Saturday and I didn't get very wore out. So as long as I am riding a good made saddle and roping, I don't get tired. Guess someone else will have to do the other work around here this summer! :lol: :lol:

Good friend of mine got it, she didn't know she had it and it hit her real hard in a big hurry...ended up in I.C. for about 14 days, they didn't know if she was gonna make it or not...she's 39 years old...basically had a spinal count so high the Dr. still can't believe she made it.

After she got home, she slept most all of the time and was only able to be up and about for about 1/2 hr at a time. After 9 months being off work because she couldn't stay awake or sitting up very long, she came back but only could work 2 hrs or so a day. Slept the rest. It's been a year and a half since she got it and she still tells me she isn't 100%. Has a few minor problems, including something to do with her heart caused by the virus. So I'd caution you about getting the heart checked out.

This from Brigham Hospital posting:
"Most people who become infected with West Nile virus experience no symptoms. About 20% develop a mild condition called West Nile fever. It lasts about three to six days. One in 150 people develop a serious neurologic disease. It may last for weeks. Some effects, such as fatigue, memory loss, difficulty walking, or muscle weakness may be permanent. About 12% of hospitalized patients do not survive."

We hope that your fatigue isn't the permanent type. That would be a real downer. It does sound like insect repellent is a must in your area.

Yes, I forgot about the spliting headache I had...Baling Wire.
Cal, I've been going to the chiropractor when I can. I've had xrays and a MRI. After the MRI, I felt better so didn't make an appointment to see what the doctor said. My husband had surgery in 1998 in Rapid City, came out great. But the doctor he had and I have a personality conflict(Imagine that)so I didn't go back to him. I figured he would tell me I'm just a dumb old woman and to suck it up. He is a great doctor and I would recommend him simply because he was so good to my hubby. I'm kinda like Rowdy Ranch, it's just stress.

Latest posts