• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Western SD Livestock losses could be in tens of thousands

Help Support Ranchers.net:

srd65

Reaction score
Although exact loss numbers are still being figured, it is apparent that this year's spring blizzards killed tens of thousands of cattle and sheep in the West River region.

Based on estimates putting losses at between 15 percent and 20 percent in the hardest-hit areas, the number of dead calves and cattle could hit 50,000 or more, with a potential economic loss of $25 million.

Lamb and ewe losses in Butte County alone are estimated at 10,000 sheep. Other counties in northwestern sheep country could have similar losses.

The entire story posted in the Rapid City Journal web site. This should be a direct link. http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/05/06/news/top/doc4a0243168704d726137517.txt

I heard some numbers from ND a couple weeks ago that said around 70,000 calves and 20,000 adult cows, which included yearlings.

I wish the best for those that lost stock and hope they are able to keep their operations going.

That is just so sad. :cry:

I read the whole story and then went to the comments...of which there were two.
Folks, here is exactly what we are up against:

Ranchers on welfare wrote on May 6-

Why shouldn't ranchers who leave cattle and sheep, and especially the new born, out in the nasty winter weather be charged with cruelty to animals ? People have been charged for doing this to dogs and cats. And why pay one penny of tax money to people who make their living by selling animals born at no cost to them ?
Ya takes your chances in Vegas, and in ranching. Sometimes you win big, and sometimes you lose. Oh well. "

Republican
wrote on May 6, 2009 8:23 PM:

" If tens of thousands of animals are dying, there need to be measures taken to protect them from the extremes of climate. The billions of subsidies paid to farms and ranchers should be much more than enough to prevent these unnecessary and horrifying deaths from happening. "

I have always questioned why the RC Journal has to leave every story open for comments. Stories of tragedy simply do not need to be commented on by idiots hiding behind a false name trying to stir trouble.

Latest posts