• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Western States Discuss Taking Federal Lands

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover

'It's time' » Lawmakers from 9 states gather in Utah, discuss ways to take control of federal lands.

By Kristen Moulton| The Salt Lake Tribune

It's time for Western states to take control of federal lands within their borders, lawmakers and county commissioners from Western states said at Utah's Capitol on Friday.

More than 50 political leaders from nine states convened for the first time to talk about their joint goal: wresting control of oil-, timber -and mineral-rich lands away from the feds.

"It's simply time," said Rep. Ken Ivory, R-West Jordan, who organized the Legislative Summit on the Transfer for Public Lands along with Montana state Sen. Jennifer Fielder. "The urgency is now."

Utah House Speaker Becky Lockhart, R-Provo, was flanked by a dozen participants, including her counterparts from Idaho and Montana, during a press conference after the daylong closed-door summit. U.S. Sen. Mike Lee addressed the group over lunch, Ivory said. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Oregon and Washington also were represented.

The summit was in the works before this month's tense standoff between Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and the Bureau of Land Management over cattle grazing, Lockhart said.

"What's happened in Nevada is really just a symptom of a much larger problem," Lockhart said.

Fielder, who described herself as "just a person who lives in the woods," said federal land management is hamstrung by bad policies, politicized science and severe federal budget cuts.

"Those of us who live in the rural areas know how to take care of lands," Fielder said, who lives in the northwestern Montana town of Thompson Falls.

"We have to start managing these lands. It's the right thing to do for our people, for our environment, for our economy and for our freedoms," Fielder said.

Idaho Speaker of the House Scott Bedke said Idaho forests and rangeland managed by the state have suffered less damage and watershed degradation from wildfire than have lands managed by federal agencies.

"It's time the states in the West come of age," Bedke said. "We're every bit as capable of managing the lands in our boundaries as the states east of Colorado."

Ivory said the issue is of interest to urban as well as rural lawmakers, in part because they see oilfields and other resources that could be developed to create jobs and fund education.

Moreover, the federal government's debt threatens both its management of vast tracts of the West as well as its ability to come through with payments in lieu of taxes to the states, he said. Utah gets 32 percent of its revenue from the federal government, much of it unrelated to public lands.

"If we don't stand up and act, seeing that trajectory of what's coming … those problems are going to get bigger," Ivory said.

He was the sponsor two years of ago of legislation, signed by Gov. Gary Herbert, that demands the federal government relinquish title to federal lands in Utah. The lawmakers and governor said they were only asking the federal government to make good on promises made in the 1894 Enabling Act for Utah to become a state.

The intent was never to take over national parks and wilderness created by an act of Congress Lockhart said. "We are not interested in having control of every acre," she said. "There are lands that are off the table that rightly have been designated by the federal government."

A study is underway at the University of Utah to analyze how Utah could manage the land now in federal control. That was called for in HB142, passed by the 2013 Utah Legislature.

None of the other Western states has gone as far as Utah, demanding Congress turn over federal lands. But five have task forces or other analyses underway to get a handle on the costs and benefits, Fielder said.

"Utah has been way ahead on this," Fielder said.

Well if Hypocrite and Wannabe would stop wasting time here and get their azzes on a plane and head to Nevada I'm sure they could have this all sorted out and the Century old problem solved within minutes. :wink:

Tam said:
Well if Hypocrite and Wannabe would stop wasting time here and get their azzes on a plane and head to Nevada I'm sure they could have this all sorted out and the Century old problem solved within minutes. :wink:

Maybe you should head on down and advise the Feds. on how to get that lawbreaker arrested...seeing as you are such a law enforcement expert.

You should have been around when Hage was still alive, so as to advise the Feds., on how to get him arrested too...

Maybe you could have accused him of bombing some federal buildings and had him deemed a "domestic terrorist", like your friend Reid...

...or maybe we should all just sit back and stay silent, and let them do as they please. It's only a piece of paper...

Tam said:

Your taking being wrong poorly... like a liberal. Maybe next time you should look into the situation a little closer and question the advancement of big government.

I would rather feed 5 lazy men, than watch a productive man have his livelyhood taken away.

There just isn't much worse than what you supported.

Note to self: To be a Conservative you must back every rightwng law breakers no matter what and while you are supporting the rightwing law breaker, you must never miss a chance at showing what a hypocrite you are by demanding the leftwing hold all their law breakers accountable.

I've got the message boys I'll never forget that to be a Conservative you have to be a hypocrite too. :wink:

Oh and I now see where the Dems get the idea there is a War on Women within the rightwing camp. Just let one think they have a right to have a differing opinion once in awhile and all of sudden after 9 years of fighting the liberal crap it is all wiped out and you are demoted into being one in the eyes of the rightwingnut thought police. :roll:

Tam said:
Note to self: To be a Conservative you must back every rightwng law breakers no matter what and while you are supporting the rightwing law breaker, you must never miss a chance at showing what a hypocrite you are by demanding the leftwing hold all their law breakers accountable.

I've got the message boys I'll never forget that to be a Conservative you have to be a hypocrite too. :wink:

Oh and I now see where the Dems get the idea there is a War on Women within the rightwing camp. Just let one think they have a right to have a differing opinion once in awhile and all of sudden after 9 years of fighting the liberal crap it is all wiped out and you are demoted into being one in the eyes of the rightwingnut thought police. :roll:

According to what Soapweed to me once you " ride for the brand" aka Republican...no matter what is said or done, right or wrong, you stick with them.

Pack mentality

As opposed to not just the party but the culture of corruption?

No THINKING person could vote for a Dimmocrap, let alone register as one (this also applies to Libertarians, since a vote for a Libertarian is essentially a vote for a Dimm). Lord knows there are plenty of R's with issues, but the D's have an exclusive on that patent.

But you just keep on believing what your handlers tell you, KooKoo, and try to have a Happy Easter... bless your heart. :wink:

loomixguy said:
As opposed to not just the party but the culture of corruption?

No THINKING person could vote for a Dimmocrap, let alone register as one (this also applies to Libertarians, since a vote for a Libertarian is essentially a vote for a Dimm). Lord knows there are plenty of R's with issues, but the D's have an exclusive on that patent.

But you just keep on believing what your handlers tell you, KooKoo, and try to have a Happy Easter... bless your heart. :wink:

"Lord knows there are plenty of R's with issues, but the D's have an exclusive on that patent"

Say what, Willis?!

Tam said:

Well shoot, Tam~~Your thinking for yourself and speaking up to the gang of lock steps I thought you were usually in sync with has increased my respect for you considerably. Good on ya'!

kolanuraven said:
Tam said:

According to what Soapweed to me once you " ride for the brand" aka Republican...no matter what is said or done, right or wrong, you stick with them.

Pack mentality

This kinda crap is one of the main things wrong with current system.

littlejoe said:
Tam said:

Well shoot, Tam~~Your thinking for yourself and speaking up to the gang of lock steps I thought you were usually in sync with has increased my respect for you considerably. Good on ya'!

Mine too!

The pack of the leftwingernut love fest has arisen. They are all saddled up and headed out riding for the brand

Get a room

Tam said:

Correct, I do expect the federal government to live by the constitution. That is where im consistent and you don't have a leg to stand on.

By the way there tam, taking your line of reasoning, one could argue Nazi Germans should not have been held accountable for their war crimes against humanity. They were just following orders/the law from the furor.

Our current military would be tried and punished for carrying out an order that is against the constitution, but you just wouldn't be okay with that huh? You're line of thinking is asking for them to be fined, imprisoned or shot for not following the law, whether constitutional or not. Does a citizen not have the same responsibility to refuse unconstitutional regulations.

Now you've jump off the deep end since you can't win your position, going with a war on women??? I know it's Easter, but silly Rabbit, please.. Tricks are for kids.

My little lady would logically thump your War on Women and the other popular Racist accusatios by the left up one side of you and down the other. And she's both a woman and brown. So please, just stop. You're making a fool of yourself.

If it hurts your feelings not being able to defend you're .gov views, just don't spout them. It has nothing to do with male/female. Matter of fact, that's what's nice about the internet- it can take a long time to figure out who's a he and who's a she. Same for color or creed, etc, etc.... Talk about a place where what you say has to stand on its own merrit and not who you are...

Tam said:

with every problem you must start somewhere..

even little changes often help....

our problem in DC is they want big fixes.. big bills and have big egos''

it is well past time to start taking back the the control and start supporting local solutions..

just as in the past, we need to take back our independence from the government and put the power back to the people.. which means supporting local causes..

During Gage's administration political tensions rose throughout the American colonies. As a result, Gage began withdrawing troops from the frontier to fortify urban centres like New York City and Boston.[48] As the number of soldiers stationed in cities grew, the need to provide adequate food and housing for these troops became urgent. Parliament passed the Quartering Act of 1765, permitting British troops to be quartered in private residences.

Gage's thoughts on the reasons for colonial unrest played an important role in furthering the unrest. He at first believed that the popular unrest after the 1765 Stamp Act was primarily due to a small number of colonial elites, led by those in Boston.

This occupation eventually led to the Boston Massacre in 1770.[50] Later that year he wrote that "America is a mere bully, from one end to the other, and the Bostonians by far the greatest bullies."[51]

Gage later came to change his opinion about the source of the unrest, believing that democracy was a significant threat. He saw the movement of colonists into the interior, beyond effective Crown control, and the development of the town meeting as a means of local governance as major elements of the threat, and wrote in 1772 that "democracy is too prevalent in America".[52] He believed that town meetings should be abolished and recommended that colonisation should be limited to the coastal areas where British rule could be enforced.[52]

General Thomas Gage, commander of British troops in Boston, had been cautious. He thought his army too small to act without reinforcements. On the other hand, his officers disdained the colonists, thinking they would flee with any show of British force.

Gage received orders to arrest Sam Adams and John Hancock.

When Gage heard that the colonists had stockpiled guns and powder in Concord, he decided to act. On the night of April 18, 1775, he dispatched nearly 1,000 troops from Boston. He hoped to catch the colonists by surprise and thus to avoid bloodshed.

William Dawes and Paul Revere rode out to warn people in the countryside that the British were coming.

When British regulars (known as redcoats because of their uniform jackets) arrived at Lexington the next morning, they found several dozen minutemen waiting for them on the town's common. Someone fired--no one knows who fired first--and eight minutemen were killed and another dozen or so were wounded. Then the British marched on Concord and destroyed what was left of the store of guns and powder,

During the redcoats' entire march back to Boston, minutemen harrassed them, firing from behind fences, houses, trees, and rocks.

Over the next year of conflict, bungling British policy-makers tried to recruit Indians, slaves, and foreign mercenaries, they blockaded colonial ports, and they rejected allefforts at conciliation. These actions pushed more and more colonists to favor independence.

sometimes you can look at an event and know who was wrong..

in this it shows that the colonialist were thugs... and wrong..

On the evening of March 5, Private Hugh White, a British soldier, stood on guard duty outside the Custom house on King Street, today known as State Street. A young wigmaker's apprentice named Edward Garrick called out to a British officer, Captain-Lieutenant John Goldfinch, that Goldfinch had not paid a bill due to Garrick's master. Goldfinch had in fact settled his account and ignored the insult.[15] Private White called out to Garrick that he should be more respectful of the officer. Garrick exchanged insults with Private White, who left his post, challenged the boy, and struck him on the side of the head with his musket. As Garrick cried in pain, one of his companions, Bartholomew Broaders, began to argue with White. This attracted a larger crowd.[16] Henry Knox, a 19-year-old bookseller (who would later serve as a general in the revolution), came upon the scene and warned White, "if he fired he must die for it."[15]

As the evening progressed, the crowd around Private White grew larger and more boisterous. Church bells were rung, which usually signified a fire, bringing more people out. Over fifty Bostonians pressed around White, led by a mixed-race runaway slave named Crispus Attucks, throwing objects at the sentry and challenging him to fire his weapon. White, who had taken up a somewhat safer position on the steps of the Custom House, sought assistance. Runners alerted the nearby barracks and Captain Thomas Preston, the officer of the watch.[17][18] According to his report, Preston dispatched a non-commissioned officer and six privates of the 29th Regiment of Foot, with fixed bayonets, to relieve White.[19][20] The soldiers Preston sent were Corporal William Wemms, Hugh Montgomery, John Carroll, William McCauley, William Warren, and Matthew Kilroy. Accompanied by Preston, they pushed their way through the crowd. En route, Henry Knox, again trying to reduce tensions, warned Preston, "For God's sake, take care of your men. If they fire, you must die."[clarification needed] Captain Preston responded "I am aware of it."[21] When they reached Private White on the custom house stairs, the soldiers loaded their muskets, and arrayed themselves in a semicircular formation. Preston shouted at the crowd, estimated to number between three and four hundred, to disperse.[22]

The crowd continued to press around the soldiers, taunting them by yelling, "Fire!", by spitting at and throwing snowballs and other small objects at them.[23] Richard Palmes, a local innkeeper who was carrying a cudgel (i.e., club), came up to Preston and asked if the soldiers' weapons were loaded. Preston assured him they were, but that they would not fire unless he ordered it, and (according to his own deposition) that he was unlikely to do so, since he was standing in front of them. A thrown object then struck Private Montgomery, knocking him down and causing him to drop his musket. He recovered his weapon, and was thought to angrily shout "Damn you, fire!", then discharged it into the crowd although no command was given. Palmes swung his cudgel first at Montgomery, hitting his arm, and then at Preston. He narrowly missed Preston's head, striking him on the arm instead.[23]

There was a pause of uncertain length (eyewitness estimates ranged from several seconds to two minutes), after which the soldiers fired into the crowd. Rather than a disciplined volley (Preston gave no orders to fire), a ragged series of shots was fired, which hit eleven men.[24] Three Americans—ropemaker Samuel Gray, mariner James Caldwell, and Crispus Attucks—died instantly.[25] Samuel Maverick, an apprentice ivory turner of seventeen,[26] was struck by a ricocheting musket ball at the back of the crowd, and died a few hours later, in the early morning of the next day. An Irish immigrant, Patrick Carr, died two weeks later.[25] Christopher Monk, another apprentice, was one of those seriously wounded in the attack.[27] Although he recovered to some extent, he was crippled and eventually died in 1780, purportedly due to the injuries he had sustained in the attack a decade earlier.[28][29]

The crowd moved away from the immediate area of the custom house, but continued to grow in nearby streets.[30] Captain Preston immediately called out most of the 29th Regiment, which adopted defensive positions in front of the state house.[31] Acting Governor Thomas Hutchinson was summoned to the scene, and was forced by the movement of the crowd into the council chamber of the state house. From its balcony he was able to minimally restore order, promising there would be a fair inquiry into the shootings if the crowd dispersed.[32]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Massacre

Thankfully the BLM retreated..

sometimes it isn't right or wrong... but what is ultimately right.

Legacy
Contribution to American Revolution

The Boston Massacre is considered one of the most important events that turned colonial sentiment against King George III and British Parliamentary authority. John Adams wrote that the "foundation of American independence was laid" on March 5, 1770,

Latest posts