• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What a beautiful morning, everywhere

Help Support Ranchers.net:

efb

Reaction score
I was just checking the weather. It is pretty interesting this morning. Calgary, Great Falls, Miles City, Chicago and NE TX are all within 5 degrees of each other in mid 30.s YOu'all better get the hay cutters out might be needing them pretty soon.

efb,we are gonna need a lil h20,before long or my cutter stays in the shed...............good luck PS welcome to the boards

You are right about the water. We are seriously dry. We have received less than half our average rainfall this year. We don't have a single spring running on the place and that's a first anyone can remember. I am streeeeching my hay. Had to buy over half of what I need and right now hay is $50 -$60 a roll around here if you can find it. Most larger operators here are now getting it out of OK. and KS. But, by the time you figure the frieght it's still over $50 a roll equivalent. Another big worry I have is water in the pastures. O well, we are one day closer to rain.

I thought you guys that way were in pretty good shape. I thought once you got west of FT Worth it was good.

efb

Plumb beautiful here-- temp in the 40's again today- no wind, wouldn't want it any nicer....

Vet decided today was the day he wanted to make the circuit and bangs vaccinate heifer calves- I'm glad we waited because today was much nicer than in November when he couldn't make it before...One of the neighbors had also bought 30 head of nice black baldy bred heifers that we rebranded.... Only drawback was slipping and sliding on the icy patches around...

the temperature here is 39 degrees and is a little breezy, but nothing out of the ordinary!! Lots of low-lying clouds that promise snow in the mountains, but the ground here is bare again!!! :shock:

It made it to 63 here today worked on leveling gates that were sagging when we bought the place then run the cows through and Ivomeced them will have to get heifers bangs next week. Hope everyone had Happy Christmas

Well my thermometer said 80 today. I'm not liking this weather pattern.
It felt like summer today. It would be good for winter pasture if we had any stands and or moisture to go with it. All the Texas A&M Extension say we should be able to graze year around here and the only equipment you need to run cattle is a 4 wheeler and pickup. Guess they don't think about those falls it's too dry to get a stand up, or worse you get it up but loose it because it's too dry. Oh, well, it's probably our turn. I remember when you guys in the Great Plains were terribly dry a couple of years ago.

efb said:
It felt like summer today. It would be good for winter pasture if we had any stands and or moisture to go with it. All the Texas A&M Extension say we should be able to graze year around here and the only equipment you need to run cattle is a 4 wheeler and pickup. Guess they don't think about those falls it's too dry to get a stand up, or worse you get it up but loose it because it's too dry. Oh, well, it's probably our turn. I remember when you guys in the Great Plains were terribly dry a couple of years ago.

Curious about your name as your initials are the same as my Dad's.

efb said:

Cloudy but mild here, in the 40's, Christmas day was in the 50's. Got some wood cut to last us awhile...

efb said:
You are right about the water. We are seriously dry. We have received less than half our average rainfall this year. We don't have a single spring running on the place and that's a first anyone can remember. I am streeeeching my hay. Had to buy over half of what I need and right now hay is $50 -$60 a roll around here if you can find it. Most larger operators here are now getting it out of OK. and KS. But, by the time you figure the frieght it's still over $50 a roll equivalent. Another big worry I have is water in the pastures. O well, we are one day closer to rain.

I thought you guys that way were in pretty good shape. I thought once you got west of FT Worth it was good.

efb

Not really its dry all over TX,and the scramble is on for hay..........good luck

It was a beautiful day here with temperatures up around 60 and no wind. The cattle enjoyed their cake, but we shorted everything on hay. It looked to be good weather for them to graze and be lazy, and for us to save some hay. They didn't care.

Big Muddy rancher. Sorry, I don't think I am related to your dad. I was raised in Kansas spent 7 years in South Dakota and the last 22 here in TX. I think I can account for all my kids. I did travel quite a bit out there, but I don't remember jumping any fences.

efb

efb said:
Big Muddy rancher. Sorry, I don't think I am related to your dad. I was raised in Kansas spent 7 years in South Dakota and the last 22 here in TX. I think I can account for all my kids. I did travel quite a bit out there, but I don't remember jumping any fences.

efb

He's spent most of his 83 years in Canada but i just found it interesting to see his initials on here.

Latest posts