• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What are some of your favorite ranch sounds?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Great poem!

I like so many it's hard to pick a favorite.

I kind'a like the sound of "heads up" when I ain't the one draggin calves out of the pen! :shock: :lol: :lol:

I love tyhe sound of one of my neighbors telling me to come and help brand and then when they tell me to get my horse and start draggin'.

I don't hear very good, so sounds maybe don't make as big of an impression on me. Now smells, that's a whole different thing. :)

Smoke from a branding fire, or off a calf's hide, and the smell of the first rocky mountain oysters of the season and then the first ones of the day, at that particular branding.

morning
when i go out before daylight and whistle and my saddle horses nicker and then the sound of loping hooves coming to the corral

day time
the creak of saddle leather
the sound of rope running thru rawhide 30 feet away from me when a long hipshot worked and i'm dalling and going to fire with a sh.. eating grin on my face
the sound a yearling makes when a good cow dog nails him on the end of his nose and sends him back to the heard

evening "and definatly not least"
the sound of my kids saying "daddy's home" and the sound of there feet running across the dirt driveway
until later
jerry

I think the most impresive sight to me is at night. To be far enough from any towns that there is no reflected light and high enough that the air is thin. On a cloudless, moonless night there are so many stars you don't need a flashlight to find the outhouse. If you sit still and quiet enough you might get to see a herd of elk come out to graze the meadow right in front of you.Z

maybe I missed it, but nobody mentioned my favorite sound. Hands down it's the sound when I move the cattle to a fresh paddock and hear all of them ripping and tearing the fresh grass. It's also the sound of the cows gaining and making a profit.

Frogs croacking away in a nearby pond or slough and ducks quacking at each other.
I like the sound of cattle grazing and the roaring purr of a farm cat curled up in my lap.
I like to hear the robins and sparrows (no, not the house sparrows, the other type of sparrows) sing, and the occasional red-winged blackbird who happens by.
And I like hearing the sounds that the wind makes when it goes through the spruce trees.
But most of all, I like the sound of SILENCE. Especially after having to spend sometime in the city.

I know this thread is about sounds we like but I have to tell you about one I hate. The sound of hungry mosquitoes swarming around you looking for a bite!!! And boy oh boy, do we ever have mosquitoes right now! The wind doesn't even keep them away from a person! They are sucking the life out of human and beast around here.

How about the " ka-thunk " sound your saddle makes on the rack after you've pulled it off of your third horse for the day?

The sound of spurs going up the walk at dinner time.

The jingle of trace chains on a team of horses.

Your pony licking the cricket on your bridle bit.

Saddletramp said:
How about the " ka-thunk " sound your saddle makes on the rack after you've pulled it off of your third horse for the day?

The sound of spurs going up the walk at dinner time.

The jingle of trace chains on a team of horses.

Your pony licking the cricket on your bridle bit.

Yup, I'd agree with al of them.

Sometin' about a good horse when he's workin' catttle, makin' that little zzzz, zzzz sound with the cricket. :)

my all-time favorite is the SILENCE.....compared to living in town, it is blissful and so wonderfully QUIET!!!
Others are the lull of the cattle, the wind in the willows, the sounds of the distant thunder, the distant sound of the water in the large irrigation ditch and in the creek behind the house!!! :D :D :D :D

yeah soapweed, when you can actually hear something other then the wind blowin, i like to listen to the quietness of it all. expecially in the evning. but pretty soon the locuses will be coming out and that will ruin it all. :x but for some reason i like the crunch sound cattle make when they eat hay. i dont know why, its really weird but i do.

my all time favorite was grandmas dinner bell durring hay time. it signaled good food and lots of family ( usually 10 to 15 uncles and cousins) sitting around talking and kidding each other. and usually at least two of the uncles trying to get the last piece of fried chicken.

The sound I hate to most:
"When I'm 1000's of miles from No-Where and the first human to EVER be in an area … And the noise of a Jet Passenger Plane, 3 miles high, brakes the silence and my minds play.

Ranch Sounds I Like Best
I love any and all Ranchy/Raunchy sounds but…
Going back many Years I'd say the sounds of being…
Bundled Up With THAT Pretty Ranch Gal, on top of the Hay, as the warm Spring Rain fell on the Tin Roof over our head…

I love the sound of the Night Hawk, night owls hooting at each other at night.

I, too like the sound of frogs-we call 'em peepers. They show up after a period of good moisture. We don't hear them very often :(

The song of the Mourning Dove in the mornings, along with Robins, Meadowlarks, gold finches, blackbirds and Cassins.

While fixing fence in the hills the call of a cow elk to her baby, and her calf's reply.

The gobble of the tom turkeys as they strut their stuff :)

When I hear mooing close by that means trouble :mad:

Horses running up the driveway in the pitch dark-wire stretching from a bull fight-that 'were free' bawl from a couple hundred cows.The last groan from a cold engine trying to start in -40.

Latest posts