• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What are the Odds!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Of out of a bunch of 450 head my only QAS Traveler 23-4 daughter would be the one to go through the ice this A'M.-she looked she was having so much fun that six more dived in after her. I swear cows can me only marginally smarter than sheep. So far I've spent my 19th wedding anniversary yanking critters out all day. Ty finally got home from school and we fenced the swimming pool off with portable panels. I cut about ten holes this morning but they all had to ski down the bank and out on the ice. Well at least it was -20 C with a wind so I was able to keep cool lol.

"And along with that cows don't have any more brains than chickens when it comes to taking care of their young." This is quoting a woman that was discussing cows going to the top of a hill on a cold, stormy day to calve.

You didn't lose the 23-4 daughter did ya NR? Sure hope you didn't lose any.

Northern Rancher said:
Of out of a bunch of 450 head my only QAS Traveler 23-4 daughter would be the one to go through the ice this A'M.-she looked she was having so much fun that six more dived in after her. I swear cows can me only marginally smarter than sheep. So far I've spent my 19th wedding anniversary yanking critters out all day. Ty finally got home from school and we fenced the swimming pool off with portable panels. I cut about ten holes this morning but they all had to ski down the bank and out on the ice. Well at least it was -20 C with a wind so I was able to keep cool lol.

The QAS must stand for "quite a swimmer" and she's a traveler, to boot. That girl gets around, on water as well as ground. :wink:

Northern Rancher said:
So far I've spent my 19th wedding anniversary yanking critters out all day.
Ya but...you didn't know it was your anniversary till and hour ago. So it doesn't count as all day. LOL!!

that is what I ubderstand about them Angus cows they are just like sheep born just looking for a place to die. Gotta love them Herefords :)

Hey cert I planned on a strong finish lol. You know I got married the Sunday before deer season opened so I'd never forget and they went and changed the season dates. Actually Tumbleweed I bought a set of Hereford cows a few years back and one went in the drink the next morning lol. The worst was when the kids pet goat drowned-I chopped it out so had a nice round hole in the ice for my freshly weaned calves to dive into-I finally stuck a round bale over it lol.

Well Ty and I panelled off the hole in the ice day before yesterday but it got so warm today that the hole melted bigger-all the mud melted on top of the ice and then it drizzled all day-talk about slick as snot-had to pull three more out. The old Traveler cow got 100 grains of pain reliever this A'M too. Not the best day I've ever had.

Hey NR.... Hows the Traveler cow today?

Did you take Mrs. NR out someplace special, after you pulled the cows out?

19 years... she's amazing!

Well the Traveller cow is pretty much converted to coyote poop right now. I know the Mrs is amazing putting up with all that pampering over the years lol.

I don't think Heifer understood what "100 grains of pain reliever"was. :???:

I shoulda caught the 100 grains of pain reliever, but I thought you were serious, using your new good vet up there! I'll just wait 'til I see you in person, NR. Maybe when you next stop in for burgers and beer, I'll include a few "grains" of something in my seasoning mix!

As for cattle, I have one that's coyote poop too, this a.m.; chronic bloater (I tubed and treated twice a day for three days) finally bit the dust. Someone recommended turning him into burger before this happened! We need some good news, :lol: though, for the Curmugeon when he returns home. He's being Curmugeonly at Agribition. I think he'll be home tonight.

Heifer, this is too late to help you on that critter, but when you have another bloat, be sure to give them some probiotic orally. When cattle bloat they have an upset rumen and need some bugs replaced.

We had a siege of bloating in our country one fall a few years back. Everyone that gave the probiotic saved the cattle, those that did not, the cattle died.

You might have to give the probiotic each time you 'hose' them, but you can't hurt them by giving too much.

Thanks FH for the tip. I hope I don't have another bloater for awhile, but I'll try to remember the probiotics.

As for straight & narrow, I don't think you'd be keepin' him in line. But we all know that now, don't we! Sound's like Agribition had the largest crowds in ages.

Latest posts