• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What are you paying

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4L here in Ontario is from $4.25 up to $5.50 for 2%. So not too far off from yours Martin.

What about other states or western Canada?

5.19 in our local grocery store. :roll: it is cheaper down in the Hills, but it's also 100 miles to get there.

I don't buy the 4 litre jugs. I don't go through it fast enough. Next time I'm in town, I'll do a price check. I have to go to Prince George next Wednesday so I'll check prices there and I'll check them here on my way home.

Whatever milk costs by the gallon, it is worth it not to have the wear and tear on my poor old hands. :wink: Besides, it's just plain old thievery to steal the milk from a hungry calf. :roll: :)

Soapweed said:
Whatever milk costs by the gallon, it is worth it not to have the wear and tear on my poor old hands. :wink: Besides, it's just plain old thievery to steal the milk from a hungry calf. :roll: :)

:agree: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I milked the cow for enough years as a youngster that to this day when I smell raw milk, it brings me back to the smell of warm milk and warm sh!t hitting the floor all combined, with the added visual of the brown speckles in the white foam topped with hair freshly fallen from the udder. :gag:

I do miss the cream though :shock:

Silver said:
Soapweed said:

I milked the cow for enough years as a youngster that to this day when I smell raw milk, it brings me back to the smell of warm milk and warm sh!t hitting the floor all combined, with the added visual of the brown speckles in the white foam topped with hair freshly fallen from the udder. :gag:

I had an old Doc 50 years ago tell me that that- and picking out the big chunks that fell off the udder- was the natural inoculant we took in from the time we were kids- and kept us from getting many bacteria/viral diseases-- and the reason in the new world we have to use so much more vaccinations/antibiotics because the built up resistance is not there.... :(

Oldtimer said:
Silver said:
Soapweed said:

I had an old Doc 50 years ago tell me that that- and picking out the big chunks that fell off the udder- was the natural inoculant we took in from the time we were kids- and kept us from getting many bacteria/viral diseases-- and the reason in the new world we have to use so much more vaccinations/antibiotics because the built up resistance is not there.... :(

I think there's a lot of truth in what the old Doc said.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Even the "non-priced" ones because they illustrate the point that there's more to the cost of milk than hay and grain!

hillsdown said:
Even the "non-priced" ones because they illustrate the point that there's more to the cost of milk than hay and grain!

Please elaborate .

Well when BSE hit there were a lot of cheap dairy cows hitting the butcher market. So I bought one that a local fairy farmer was shipping to get within his quota. She was a really nice, easy-milking cow. But because she had just 3 working spigots she was culled.

Well that old girl gave so much milk she pretty well wore me out! Twice a day! EVERY day including Sunday. Yup, we had lots of milk but after taking into consideration the time and commitment it took, I discovered that I was just another lazy consumer that would rather buy it than try it.

burnt said:
hillsdown said:
Even the "non-priced" ones because they illustrate the point that there's more to the cost of milk than hay and grain!

Please elaborate .

Well when BSE hit there were a lot of cheap dairy cows hitting the butcher market. So I bought one that a local fairy farmer was shipping to get within his quota. She was a really nice, easy-milking cow. But because she had just 3 working spigots she was culled.

Well that old girl gave so much milk she pretty well wore me out! Twice a day! EVERY day including Sunday. Yup, we had lots of milk but after taking into consideration the time and commitment it took, I discovered that I was just another lazy consumer that would rather buy it than try it.

Why buy a cow when milk is so cheap? :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
burnt said:
hillsdown said:
Please elaborate .

Even though there is nothing as good as whole, raw milk, you won't catch me digging out the milking stool any time soon!!

burnt said:
Soapweed said:
burnt said:

Even though there is nothing as good as whole, raw milk, you won't catch me digging out the milking stool any time soon!!

That depends on how many wild onions she has devoured in the spring. :p :wink: YUK! :D

Latest posts