• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What color's Newman going to be?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JB,

I Understand what you are saying. I was thinking in terms of people that use horses.....That context was because i was looking at the shape of that baby......

How old are these sorrels and what can you do on them? You never know who I may run accross,

Is there any white on them? LOL

If you have not yet, post some pictures,

PPRM

I'm here late, but I want to get in on this discussion.

I think, too, that Newman should be registered as Palamino.
Grey horses are born black or dark, not white or light colored.
Greys lighten as they get older. Palamino horses darken as they
age, if I recall correctly.

We had a chocolate, dappled Palamino that Curt Pate borrowed when
he announced rodeoes on horseback. (Many moons ago!)
That horse was really light
when I bought him as a 3 year old in December.
He got to be the most beautiful and unique color, that is one reason why Curt liked him for announcing.
He really was gorgeous with a silver mane and tail. Looked really
fancy in the lights at night, too.
(Of course, Curt did too. He always is/
was such a handsome man. And always was/is so nice.)

And as for the sorrells, JB, Mr. FH and I was with Stan Weaver
(Weaver QH from Big Sandy, Mt.) the evening he first talked with
Lynn Weishaar about crying his sale. We talked about color and I
remember Lynn saying, "Yes, color sells. But one thing sells better
than color, and that is QUALITY." Stan has sold some mighty
expensive sorrell and bay horses since then.

Of course, we all know
that color does sell. But don't underestimate those good bays
and sorrells...

As for me, my FAVORITE color is a coon-tailed horse. I really, really
like them.

PPRM said:
JB,

I Understand what you are saying. I was thinking in terms of people that use horses.....That context was because i was looking at the shape of that baby......

How old are these sorrels and what can you do on them? You never know who I may run accross,

PPRM
I was just thinking of all the cheap sorrel colts at the horse sales in the fall. Might be the best horse in the whole sale, but no one can get past the color except for a few and they get them lots cheaper.

Faster horses said:
I'm here late, but I want to get in on this discussion.

I think, too, that Newman should be registered as Palamino.
Grey horses are born black or dark, not white or light colored.
Greys lighten as they get older. Palamino horses darken as they
age, if I recall correctly.

We had a chocolate, dappled Palamino that Curt Pate borrowed when
he announced rodeoes on horseback. (Many moons ago!)
That horse was really light
when I bought him as a 3 year old in December.
He got to be the most beautiful and unique color, that is one reason why Curt liked him for announcing.
He really was gorgeous with a silver mane and tail. Looked really
fancy in the lights at night, too.
(Of course, Curt did too. He always is/
was such a handsome man. And always was/is so nice.)

And as for the sorrells, JB, Mr. FH and I was with Stan Weaver
(Weaver QH from Big Sandy, Mt.) the evening he first talked with
Lynn Weishaar about crying his sale. We talked about color and I
remember Lynn saying, "Yes, color sells. But one thing sells better
than color, and that is QUALITY." Stan has sold some mighty
expensive sorrell and bay horses since then.

Of course, we all know
that color does sell. But don't underestimate those good bays
and sorrells...

As for me, my FAVORITE color is a coon-tailed horse. I really, really
like them.

I'll bet you dollars to dounts I can buy a better sorrel cheaper than any other QH colt. They don't seem to dock the bays too bad, as they shouldn't. They are the best color with duns coming in second. :wink:

Jinglebob said:
PPRM said:
JB,

PPRM
I was just thinking of all the cheap sorrel colts at the horse sales in the fall. Might be the best horse in the whole sale, but no one can get past the color except for a few and they get them lots cheaper.

Well JB, if that wasnt the case I might not get to ever ride a good horse and likely a lot of other cowboys wouldn't either, LOL.....

PPRM

First off - You have got some very nice stock! Love the stud. Would you mind sharing his registered name so I can look up his lines and I can tell you if it's worth testing for silver or not. It is a hair test and you can send to UC Davis, Cornell or PetDNA.

On your colt, I'm betting he's sooty palomino. They are ususally born with a pale foal coat and darken within 2 sheds. Can't be a gray, must have one gray parent to get a gray, just like dun. But, he could carry the roan gene over the palomino and will give him the light dusting over the palomino.

Question for an eariler post, about those appies in the QH lines? I'd sure like to know which lines you are refering to. I do extensive QH pedigree research and have never seen any "proof" of substancial (spl?) influence of 'old apps' in any peds. QH's in App peds of course, but not the other way around. But always open to new information. Please and Thank You.

doublebarr said:
First off - You have got some very nice stock! Love the stud. Would you mind sharing his registered name so I can look up his lines and I can tell you if it's worth testing for silver or not. It is a hair test and you can send to UC Davis, Cornell or PetDNA.

On your colt, I'm betting he's sooty palomino. They are ususally born with a pale foal coat and darken within 2 sheds. Can't be a gray, must have one gray parent to get a gray, just like dun. But, he could carry the roan gene over the palomino and will give him the light dusting over the palomino.

Question for an eariler post, about those appies in the QH lines? I'd sure like to know which lines you are refering to. I do extensive QH pedigree research and have never seen any "proof" of substancial (spl?) influence of 'old apps' in any peds. QH's in App peds of course, but not the other way around. But always open to new information. Please and Thank You.

Hi, TTB is working so I thought I would answer your question. His name is BHR Super Frost #3815538.

have a cold one

lazy ace

Thank you. A Frenchmans get :D Very nice.

However, so far the silver gene has only been linked to the Bar U Champ and the Miss Barbarella lines and I don't really see any "common ancestors" except for Three Bars and that's just too common to consider a tie. Except it may be worth it because of the "clasic" silvering of the mane with dark roots that is generally found only on silvers. Be cool if you had the 3rd known line.

Here is the but, BUT I would really wonder if he may carry the champaign gene :shock: I'd love to see more pictures of him in both summer and winter, full on shots.

If he's champaign, that's a HUGE marketing tool on NICE colts. What has he thrown so far? What colors from what colored mares? Besides Neuman of course.

I like Newman-I like his color,his attitude,his mom and his dad..Please keep us/me updated about this special colt.

Was thinking about this and realized I had a total DUH moment.

Silver will not express on red based horses. Since Frenchmans Guy is a palomino and your stud is most likely red based with a cream gene (palomino), then silver will not be able to be "seen" on him. But, with a brown dam, he "could" be Ata, and silver would be able to be expressed on that. So, the first test should be for red/Agouti. If he tests other than red (ie Aa or AA for Agouti) then you would be looking at something other than smutty palomino. But he's still a lovely boy and would love to know where to see more pictures of him.

Oh, that would make Newman also a smutty palomino like dad if he is a red based horse (ie: with a Crcr.)

Latest posts