• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What could have been a bizarre "near wreck"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Yesterday, I pulled into a bunch of 180 pairs with the feed pickup. The cows all flocked around the outfit, eagerly awaiting their dinner being served. When I set the pickup in motion, the spout was down on the cake feeder, and cake started to pour out. The pickup had gone just a few feet when it seemed like the right front wheel hit a slight obstruction. I thought maybe a calf had been run over, so stopped and got out to check. The "bump" was just a big cowchip and uneven ground. While I was progressing back to the driver's side door, many cows were vying for position to snarf up the meager portion of cake that had been fed before I had stopped. A wave of black bovinity hit me hard and knocked my feet out from under me. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground looking up at the legs and the bottom side of cows' bellies. Fortunately I was able to get back in a standing position before being trampled. I crawled back into the pickup seat and finished feeding, considering that I had been rescued by a guardian angel. After reporting the incident to the Kosmo Kid, he stated that had I been trampled to death, it would probably have always been a mystery as to why it had occurred. It's hard to be too careful. :shock: :roll: :wink:

Well that made me kinda stop breathing until I finished reading the story but now I want - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -

PICTURES! :wink:

burnt said:
Well that made me kinda stop breathing until I finished reading the story but now I want - - - - - - - - -

I didn't think about taking pictures at the time. Maybe this deal can be re-enacted for proper photographic effect. :wink: :)

glad you are safe.... hope this does not get hijacked into another Angus vs Hereford thread ! :wink:

...a 'Wave of Black-Bovinity'...lord allmighty, that just about made my day !

yup, been there, seen that ALOT ! !

I'd say you owe your Guardian-Angel a drink, sometime in the (hopefully DISTANT) future !

Soapweed said:
burnt said:

I didn't think about taking pictures at the time. Maybe this deal can be re-enacted for proper photographic effect. :wink: :)

Do you have a stunt double lined up yet?

I hope you didn't leave your drivers door open. They'd have bent it back the wrong way for sure!

Cowboys tend to heal up. Wrecked pickup doors never do.

Seriously though, I'm glad you came through the ordeal unhurt, Soap.

This reminds me of a time when I was a kid in high school. I was feeding the bulls before school one morning. There were no cakers back then and I was carrying a gunnysack, dumping an individual portion for each animal in a large circle. As the bulls were coming up to the feed, one or two of them got into a gouging match and the one closest to me wheeled his rear end around to defend himself. I was too close in proximity with his butt and as he spun around, he hit me hard, sending me spralling and the cake splattered all over. I was fortunate to have been unhurt and quickly got the heck out of there.

Another time in more recent years, I had run out on the ground, the appropriate amount of feed out of the caker for some bulls. I made the mistake of stepping out of the pickup for some reason, stopping too close to the feeding bulls and one of them butted another, causing the second bull to crowd quickly out of his way. Unfortunately he was more worried about the other bull than my open pickup door and bent the hinges back past center. Luckily for me, the old pickup had seen a lot of rough years and this damage, although fairly permanent, seemed more superficial than if it had been a newer outfit!

(For Jigs, the bulls in the first incident were hereford, but were charolais in the second!)

Glad you came through that deal alright Soap. Things happen fast when they happen.

......And DANG those Charolais, Hereford and Angus cattle!!!! :wink: :lol:

Soapweed said:
Yesterday, I pulled into a bunch of 180 pairs with the feed pickup. The cows all flocked around the outfit, eagerly awaiting their dinner being served. When I set the pickup in motion, the spout was down on the cake feeder, and cake started to pour out. The pickup had gone just a few feet when it seemed like the right front wheel hit a slight obstruction. I thought maybe a calf had been run over, so stopped and got out to check. The "bump" was just a big cowchip and uneven ground. While I was progressing back to the driver's side door, many cows were vying for position to snarf up the meager portion of cake that had been fed before I had stopped. A wave of black bovinity hit me hard and knocked my feet out from under me. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground looking up at the legs and the bottom side of cows' bellies. Fortunately I was able to get back in a standing position before being trampled. I crawled back into the pickup seat and finished feeding, considering that I had been rescued by a guardian angel. After reporting the incident to the Kosmo Kid, he stated that had I been trampled to death, it would probably have always been a mystery as to why it had occurred. It's hard to be too careful. :shock: :roll: :wink:

This is why I always keep my cell phone in my pocket when I get out of the feed truck. Not that it would help in your situation, but I do know a guy who had his truck roll on his foot and he couldn't move.

Thank God you weren't hurt.

Yep the oddist of incidents can occur and be quite dangerous and/or fatal...

Several years ago a neighbor/friend was hauling out round bales with his tractor/grapple fork... He set the bale down in front of the tractor and was cutting the strings when the tractor rolled forward with the loader pinning him between it and the loader- killing him....

Soapweed said:
burnt said:

Thought about hiring a stunt double ?, I'd volunteer but I'm sorta crippled up now and don't snap back like I used to. :wink:

glad your OK, thing's can happen so fast. had a very similar incident years ago,crawled under the truck and came out the othe side where it wasn't near so crowded. today i would need a much taller truck :wink: :wink: :lol:

DustDevil said:
Soapweed said:
burnt said:

Thought about hiring a stunt double ?, I'd volunteer but I'm sorta crippled up now and don't snap back like I used to. :wink:

This sounds like a job for SUUUUPPERRRR H. :wink: :lol:

Glad you're OK Soap, another story for the grandkids. :D

When we were at Dog Creek in the early 80's, WHR, Debbie and myself were checking on the cows that were out calving in the sagebrush one beautiful afternoon. A gentle old cow with one milked eye that I had bought the fall before had just calved. ( My criteria for replacements back then was 4 legs and a pulse :roll: :D )

I got off my horse and proceded to tag and castrate the calf. The cow was talking to both of us in proud tones and being an interested participant in the procedure. At some point, she happened to catch a glimpse of my dog who was minding his own business behind Debbie's mount out of her one good eye.
She let out a blood-curdling bawl which brought a reply from the calf and as I was scrambling out of the way she jumped over top the calf, straddling it. My escape was somewhat impeded by the fact that she was now standing on my batwing chaps. Everytime she let a bawl and the baby would answer she would dance another little jig. I was hollering at my "compadres" to get the cow away but no rescuers responded. At one point in the performance I managed to look for my "team" and both of them were bent over their saddle horns in the throes of histerical laughter. :shock: :x :lol:
In the end, the old cow settled down again, kindly removed her foot from my chaps and she never did land on any body parts.
The dog learned to lie down and stay farther back until I shot him for killing Debbie's chickens.

This was our near wreck last week...
401_015-School-bus-accident-300x199.jpg

This pic is off the road. Thankfully the trees stopped it before it went to the bottom...
401_014-School-bus-accident-300x199.jpg

But the kids got a good story...

Latest posts