• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What did the PRCA do?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I was reading that the PRCA turned down $1million from RFD TV to broadcast the finals rodeo and are paying CBS sports Network to air 3 hours a night. Looks like it's going to be late nights again.
Last year on RFD tv we got it early, every ride and not cut off at the end or pushed back start because of a high school basketball game. :?

I don't think I will bother watching it at all. :x

Jeff Medders & his Geronimo Productions will be doing the work (filming, etc.). And it will be broadcast by CBS Sports Network, the same network that televises the PBR. Maybe the PRCA is looking for a tie in with the PBR to gain more urban viewers?

I thought the NFR was good when it was on GAC, and to me RFD seemed to be the best, most natural fit in the world, but the PRCA must have decided it wanted more potential viewers. I truly think RFD's loss of the NFR is what prompted the birth of the American, which was wildly successful it's first year. With Randy Bernard gone from RFD now, I don't know if the American will have the success in its second year as it did the first, but I'm optimistic. Throw enough money around and things work most of the time.

RFD hasn't given up completely on the NFR, cause they will have live coverage for several hours prior to each perf, and will cover each perf on satellite radio. I think they'll get the television broadcast rights in time. I don't really see the CBS Sports Network thing being the home of the NFR for very long.

It is my understanding that Joe B. was not asked to do the color commentary on the timed event end. No idea why, but 8X had been there, done that, was animated, and could talk. No idea who they'll get, if anybody. It's hard to get folks that are both knowledgeable, experienced, and can talk about the event.

FWIW, listening to Craig Hummer makes me want to stick a gun barrel in my mouth, and Ty Murray's monotone drone is even worse than some college profs I had.... :mad:

loomixguy said:
Jeff Medders & his Geronimo Productions will be doing the work (filming, etc.). And it will be broadcast by CBS Sports Network, the same network that televises the PBR. Maybe the PRCA is looking for a tie in with the PBR to gain more urban viewers?

I thought the NFR was good when it was on GAC, and to me RFD seemed to be the best, most natural fit in the world, but the PRCA must have decided it wanted more potential viewers. I truly think RFD's loss of the NFR is what prompted the birth of the American, which was wildly successful it's first year. With Randy Bernard gone from RFD now, I don't know if the American will have the success in its second year as it did the first, but I'm optimistic. Throw enough money around and things work most of the time.

RFD hasn't given up completely on the NFR, cause they will have live coverage for several hours prior to each perf, and will cover each perf on satellite radio. I think they'll get the television broadcast rights in time. I don't really see the CBS Sports Network thing being the home of the NFR for very long.

It is my understanding that Joe B. was not asked to do the color commentary on the timed event end. No idea why, but 8X had been there, done that, was animated, and could talk. No idea who they'll get, if anybody. It's hard to get folks that are both knowledgeable, experienced, and can talk about the event.

FWIW, listening to Craig Hummer makes me want to stick a gun barrel in my mouth, and Ty Murray's monotone drone is even worse than some college profs I had.... :mad:

This was interesting information that I wasn't aware of. What happened to Randy Bernard? Wasn't he the brain behind The American?

I'm like you, I thought GAC did a great job broadcasting the Finals.

I agree with you on Ty Murray too. He might be King of the Cowboys, but he isn't much of a public speaker. Fallon Taylor does good with the barrel racing. Didn't she do The American?

I didn't even know what channel it would be on this year until I read your post, BMR, so THANKS for the info.

I guess It was GAC not RFD last year. The best coverage I have ever seen. It started earlier and showed all the runs. Looks like CBS-SN is back to the late starts. :(

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I guess It was GAC not RFD last year. The best coverage I have ever seen. It started earlier and showed all the runs. Looks like CBS-SN is back to the late starts. :(

That's ok. When I read where you said it was on RFD-TV I thought I lost a year!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That could happen. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I saw where RFD had bid $1million for the rights to broadcast and Wrangler said NO. So now they have to pay CBS-SN to air it. :roll:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

That's ok. When I read where you said it was on RFD-TV I thought I lost a year!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That could happen. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I saw where RFD had bid $1million for the rights to broadcast and Wrangler said NO. So now they have to pay CBS-SN to air it. :roll:

I've found it is much easier to lose a year than to lose 10 pounds. :p :wink: :D

Randy Bernard is now doing projects for Garth Brooks. He doesn't seem to stay in one place very long. Wrangler, PBR, RFD TV, and now Garth in what...10-12 years?

I'd like to see Darrell Barron as the color guy. He has tremendous knowledge of all the disciplines and the contestants, tremendous knowledge of the bucking stock, and he can TALK.

loomixguy said:
Randy Bernard is now doing projects for Garth Brooks. He doesn't seem to stay in one place very long. Wrangler, PBR, RFD TV, and now Garth in what...10-12 years?

I'd like to see Darrell Barron as the color guy. He has tremendous knowledge of all the disciplines and the contestants, tremendous knowledge of the bucking stock, and he can TALK.

I don't know who Darrell Barron is, guess I'll have to look him up!

Garth Brooks, interesting! I know a little of an interaction with Garth Brooks from a friend of ours. He seems like a decent guy from the telling of that incident.

Darrell Barron worked for Harry Vold in college, then spent about 20 years working for Walt Garrison out of the United States Tobacco Company (Copenhagen/Skoal) Western Marketing Office in Lewisville, TX. During this time, he was also chute boss at Cheyenne, the NFR, and many other big rodeos countless times. He is currently the chute boss at PRS events throughout the country.

He's easy to spot. Tall feller, black hat, big handlebar moustache, and his signature Paul Bond's with the tall red tops and his Wranglers tucked into them.

My kids asked me and I don't know so though I'd ask here. The calves in tie down roping. How old are they? How do they feed them? To just maintain kind of or what? How long do they last for?

Latest posts