• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What did you always want to be when you grew up?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
We talked about it today in ELA. We had a bunch of movie stars, professional hockey palyers, a few doctors, and then it was my tyurn. I said I wanted to be just like Dad. I want to farm land and cattle, but I also want to run an outfitting business for right at home. Now they think im wierd. lol

What did y'all want to be when you grew up in your childhood years??

I keep getting that question now that I'm almost done with college. Most people don't understand why I want to go back to ranching, but then they don't appreciate the same things I do. I will probably work somewhere else in the agriculture industry for awhile after school, but I plan on getting back to the ranch and cattle business somewhere down the road. I don't know that I ever thought about ranching for a profession when I was little, but being away from the ranch during college sure has put things into perspective! :)

Mrs. Greg, Growing OLDer is manditory, but growing up is optional. lol.

:shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: Greg is almost 1/2 century!!!! :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: lmbo. Tell him I said that, too. lol

Morgan wants to be a cowgirl and sheldn wants to be a millionaire farmer... I told him he will have to win the lotterey 4 times over to do that. :p

Mrs.Greg said:
Angus..at 47 greg says he still doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up :?

That reminds me of the story about the little boy who told his mom "When I grow up I'm going to be a cowboy" to which his Mom replyed " Don't be foolish son, you can't do both"

Okay... Time to duck and cover but I wanted to be a Wildlife Biologist or a Vet at a Zoo for a long, long time... Than when Chemistry kicked my butt I wanted to be a Histroy teacher... Than I moved out to Montana at my goals in life changed a bit, but being a professional wanderer in the woods didn't seem like it would pay the bills so I started working and talking to my wife and she wanted to be a faermers/ranchers wife so I said, what the heck, sounds like a plan.. See, I really should listen to her more often because for all the challenges we have had the past 4 years of having a cow herd (4 years ago today is the day we officially took over with zero official help) I have never been happier and more pleased with what I am doing than I am now.

Faster horses said:
That's really neat WestRiverCowgirl!!!
I came from a whole different generation than you,
but you know what I wanted to be?

A ranchers wife.

I've been one now for 43 years and would do it all over again.

That is exactly what I once told my roommate that I wanted to be and she laughed at me. :lol: Oh well, we can't expect everyone to understand our madness!!

How funny life changes our careers...I went to college and was an Orthodontic Assistant...met hubby...moved me out here into the middle of no mans land of ranching...and now have decided that I am much much happier being a ranch/wife/hand than working in an office all day...20 some years later and still on the same ranch...I think that's a good sign... :)

Being a girl from a large city,the last thing on my mind was being a ranchwife.No one told me the part about can't be a cowboy and a grown-up,so although fullfilling its been a challenging avocation,wouldn't trade it for anything :!:

ILrancher...aren't you happy you chose the ranching over the wildlife biologist,because tonight you'b be getting angry emails from PE-OD members of ranchers.net :p

first, i wanted to be a vet

then i wanted to be a rancher

then i wanted to be a rodeo cowgirl

then i wanted to be a lawyer, and i still do...and specialize in agricultural cases, defending ranchers and such.

and i also would love to raise rodeo stock, like bulls, broncs, steers, and ropin horses, preferrably on the same ranch that i'm living on right now

Montana Cowgirl can I start sending you some young buckers lol. I want to lease a stud from Sankey someday to breed my 'Blue Feather' daughters too. Those hills were meant to run horses or bucking bulls on lol.

I"ve known from a very early age that I wanted to raise cattle. We had cattle when I was young, and my grandparents had a few head. Not to this extent tho. Dad piddled buying, feedin, and then sellin calves. Mom had a few milkers that she made a lil extra money with sellin milk. But I wanted COWS and all that the life of a cattle person has to deal with.
When we moved to East Texas to Mr Lilly's family land. His grandparents had been ranchers, but had retired and sold their herds...the land was sittin idle......and I just couldn't stand it no more....when it came into our hands I said..ok....this is what we're gonna do...

Wouldnt change nothin except maybe I woulda moved here sooner if only I"d known LOL

Grandpa ran a dairy, so I knew early I did NOT want to dairy. but I loved the farm end of it, and the few stocker cows he ran were entertaining to me. but dad ran heavy equipment. as a kid I thought there was nothing more cool than a 627 Cat scraper or a D8 !!!

I still toy with the idea of getting a dozer and trying to start off in another direction.

I used to spend saturdays with dad if I could. at age 12 we were in the grader and he says "can you run a dozer?"
I just shrug my shoulders, then he tells me to go push out that tree!

it was a small old dead tree, but I was on cloud 9 !!!! that is the memory that will stick in my mind forever.

when I was 10, I wanted to own IBM...............................
when I was 12, I wanted to win the gold medal for figure skating.............
when I was 16, I wanted to live to see adulthood :wink: .......................
when I was 20, I wanted to live to see the next day (yes, there's a story)..
when I was 22, I found my feet and became a nurse, a job I love heart and soul and could not imagine giving up in it's entirety!! However, after meeting cowboyup, I have found that being by his side and raising my kids is every bit (if not MORE) rewarding!!! :D :D

For the first four years of my life, I wanted to be a farmer like my grandpa in Minnesota. He also raised chickens, and it was fun to go gather the eggs. About the time I was four, my dad convinced that being a cowboy was better. Realizing that he was right, being a cowboy has been my lifetime goal ever since.

Once I picked out the cowboy goal, my narrow-mindedness has not wavered. I was so "square" in school, that I wore a western hat and boots every day, from kindergarten through my one year of college. The only exceptions were the days it was too cold, when a cap with ear-flappers was needed. Through my first couple years of grade school, my overshoes wouldn't fit over my cowboy boots, so occasionally I had to wear shoes. I hated those days, because my footwear looked like crap. It wasn't long before I figured out to carry my boots along, even if I had to wear overshoes to get to school.

Once while in kindergarten, during a fire-drill, I got chewed out because I detoured around by the coat rack to get my hat before going outside. I kinda hope a hat gets dumped in my coffin, along with my wore-out body, because I'd hate to arrive hatless in Heaven. :wink: :)

My father in law is a heavy equipment type of guy and this is his farm... Everyonce in a while I hear whispers of sendin out a D8 to play with for putting up a silage bunker and than it goes away... It is what he understands, what he always wanted to do.. Had this discussion with him a a couple years ago as we drove around the farm. He has been good to me but is very concerned with his own mortality and has been pressing all of his kids on their dreams and what they are going to do when he is gone so he can help them in that direction before he goes. I hope he is helping 30 years from now but realistically...

As far as choosing ranching over wildlife stuff... I don't know.. I would enver have fit in at all with that crowd as I noticed a few things during classes out there and have noticed it even more as I have grown older.. I am not granolaee (I don't think it is a word but whatever) enought for that group of people.. Of course I have noticed that I am a bit more "whacko greenie" than most folks I have met in Ag as well... Angry e-mails from folks on this fine site probably woudln't be any worse than some of the stuff I have gotten from some animal rights types that have let me know what they think about me exploting the noble cow for profit.

Let's see I finally gave up the NHL dream at about 40 lol. Actually we throw any male children who can't skate over Niagra Falls-it might sound harsh but the ones left will go in the corners. My teachers in highschool tried mightily to pursue higher education but I refused and started ranching. I always got the 'your too smart for that but I poroved them wrong I'm just dumb enough' I still want to write a good novel it's in progress and most who've read it so far like it so who knows. So ranchwife you were a figure skater-good for you. For those of you have never skated your missing out on one of the truly great experiances in life. As kids in the old natural ice rinks you prayed for early morniong practices so you got fresh ice-it was worth the frozen toes-I can remember the whole hockey team with white toes frozen bawling our heads off as they thawed out and our Dad's trying to rub them back to life. Hockey Mom's were a postGretzky phemnomenon.

That reminds me of the story about the little boy who told his mom "When I grow up I'm going to be a cowboy" to which his Mom replyed " Don't be foolish son, you can't do both"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats me, still tryin to do both!

Latest posts