• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What do you call a farmer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rancher !!!

The closest thing to a tractor that we own is the Cub Cadet garden tiller that I bought the Hostile Native on her birthday. The only crops we raise are in the garden.

Some say a rancher is a grass farmer, but I don't totally agree with that. In our area, with the high and dry climate the term resource manager would be more correct than grass farmer. We don't seed, fertilize or harvest. In this area, it takes several years to get land in condition for hay production and I don't believe this place was ever used for that.

I'd call a farmer some old guy that doesn't have anything better to do and nothing to ad to any discussion about anything a Farmer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No disrespect intended to any "Real" farmers that might be trespassing here at ranchers.net. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's always been my understanding that if you sell crop, you're a farmer.

hayguy said:
so what are you if you sell hay and feed crop (oat and barley greenfeed)

I guess you would be a farmer. Never heard of a hay rancher :shock: Some folks surely qualify as farmer AND rancher if they also sell cattle?

With as many people feeling famers/ranchers are only hurting animals and the land my question is this....
Does it really matter or are they both the same. Do food producers need to divide themselves anymore or should they be joining forces to educate those who do not understand where their food comes from?

Yeah I know all I am is a backyard horse owner who works in corrections. Hail I cant even get a good garden to grow or build a fence. So why waste time thinking about what I post.

Ya know, I have done both, and it really makes no difference what you call yourself to me or anyone else. In my opinion, all you are trying to do is start a fight, and this thread should be moved over to the BULL session.

Soapweed Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the difference between a cowboy and a rancher?

A cowboy's belt buckle covers up his belly, and a ranchers's belly covers up his belt buckle.
So soapweed what one are you. :)

Well bar it depended on what job I was doing.......plowing a field to feed my animals or family behind a mule. Gathering calves to take to market on a horse or a really Good mule :p Or in my case stress relief ride around town LOL good thing only the major road is paved the rest are dirt. :lol:

It is the same with corrections...are you a guard or correctional officer.....samething a fight starter. A vailed question to divide and tear apart a group.
I have been saying since I joined here ....we and yes I include myself, need to educate the consumer. The only way to get the truth out there is for all producers to join forces. You have peta, humane socity, and other animal rights groups joining forces and putting thier energy into pushing their agenda on to the uneducated public.

As for the question....I dont care what you call me...guard, c/o, boss, jailer, whatever. The "title" does not make me who I am or define who I am. I do my job to the best of my ablity and stay firm, fair, and consistent.

I have no intent of starting a fight, but the question was asked. If someone gets their feelings hurt, well too damn bad. Put your big girl panties on and buck up cupcake. It has been a general consensus for a very long time that a farmer plants and raises crops. A rancher raises beef, sheep and horses. Nothing wrong with either one, but I don't see how someone can lump the two groups together. They have never got along for any length of time and have engaged in more than a few bloody battles. A person would be hard pressed to find any two people in one of the groups who agree, much less two people from opposite groups. Yep, we have a lot of common enemies, but that don't make us the same. Look back at some of the areas that are now known for farming and you will find it was the ranchers of yesteryear who settled it first. A person can call themselves whatever they want, I couldn't care less. Just don't call me a damn cattle farmer.

On another note though, I'm glad we have farmers. They raise the some of the grub my cows eat.

I didnt say you were starting the fight. The question in itself was meant to start the fight.
LOL I am on the Santa Fe trail I do believe I know who was here first...hmmm well all we have around here is hay farmers for their and others cattle & horses. Too dam dry to grow anything but some grass and cows.

Why are you giving a name power over who you are? I though you had a very sound head on your shoulders and took charge of your life and actions, reactions, and how you felt about yourself.
Are you or are you not a producer? Do you raise the best beef you can?
Does it really matter what they call you? Hail I have been called everything under the sun including a white woman and that was meant as a put down ........
The only name I really have any feelings for is Batshit crazy....thats my favorite LOL I even claim that one LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Bar dont give someone control over your reactions based on a word.......
Yes words do have power but we have more power over ourselves.

I have faith both producers can get along......If I am here, I know any group of people can get along.
Dad parents got married in the late 1920s. His mom was from England, his dad from Germany. Dad was raised as a english protestant who married a irish catholic. Those groups have HATED each other for centuries.

Oh and I do have my big girl panties on LOL I am tired of some people starting "debates" and getting people mad at each other.
Thanks for the complement of cupcake .....they are sweet and small :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not mad and I'm not too worried about some label. I'm just clarifying what I'm not. I take a helluva lotta pride in what I do and I've never once played "Farmers and Indians".

If you hate farmers so bad and want to sling off on them...stay outta the damn grocery store.

Eating corn and sweets and bread but that gut on ya....not beef and protein.......

This was posted just to start a fight..... by some rancher who was sitting on his arse in the house with nothing else to do would be my guess......

Latest posts