• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What do you call a farmer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I believe the fight that Pertnear was trying to start was about subsidies that go to farmers. Personally, I wouldn't care if they cut them all together. They have cut them so much already that the carrot the government is dangling in front of the farmer is hardly worth the effort to take it. The farm program was designed to keep food affordable in this country but as the price of crude oil keeps rising food will follow along with every other consumable item we use.

On the other hand I know of some producers that have taken advantage of the LIP program aka Livestock Indemnity Program and some of their checks have exceded $100,000. The funding for this program ends this fall and I hope they will not refund it. Personally I don't think it's the taxpayers responsibility to reimburse me for dead calves. Rewarding poor planning and bad management are setting a bad precident and giving the cattleman a black eye in the eyes of the public and especially the taxpayer. In this era of budget cuts I would be in favor of cutting all of these subsidies. So if you want to split us up and point finrgers both groups of producers are guilty of taking subsidies. Just my opinion.

Being known as a farmer or rancher has little to do with the issue that Pertnear was bringing up, and like some of you said this topic shouldn't be in ranch talk.

JF Ranch said:
WYO HEELER said:
Cowboy, Rancher, Farmer, Cowman, each have their own identifiying characteristics associated with their lifestyle, making the lifestyle what it is. Some are diehard _____________ (you fill in the blank), others would call themselves a blend. I know some darn good farmers, that farm to make money, that understand what it takes to make money farming. A handful of those guys are some of the smartest cowmen that I have ever been associated with. They understand what good cattle are, they uderstand genetics and they understand how to run those cattle. Kinda sounds like a rancher huh? My point in my rambling...some people believe that they are only a rancher, only a cowboy, only a farmer or only a cowman and nothing else. No problem with that in my opinion. There are those guys and gals that share some qualities from each, as in my example. No problem with those folks as well. Production agriculture needs all types, and all types share some association with each other at some point in the production process!

Now that was brilliantly stated.

Not sure if that is a compliment or not, but I will take it as one! :D

Big Swede said:
I believe the fight that Pertnear was trying to start was about subsidies that go to farmers. Personally, I wouldn't care if they cut them all together. They have cut them so much already that the carrot the government is dangling in front of the farmer is hardly worth the effort to take it. The farm program was designed to keep food affordable in this country but as the price of crude oil keeps rising food will follow along with every other consumable item we use.

On the other hand I know of some producers that have taken advantage of the LIP program aka Livestock Indemnity Program and some of their checks have exceded $100,000. The funding for this program ends this fall and I hope they will not refund it. Personally I don't think it's the taxpayers responsibility to reimburse me for dead calves. Rewarding poor planning and bad management are setting a bad precident and giving the cattleman a black eye in the eyes of the public and especially the taxpayer. In this era of budget cuts I would be in favor of cutting all of these subsidies. So if you want to split us up and point finrgers both groups of producers are guilty of taking subsidies. Just my opinion.

Being known as a farmer or rancher has little to do with the issue that Pertnear was bringing up, and like some of you said this topic shouldn't be in ranch talk.

If you read the previous farm bill, you will possibly take note that one of the last sentences is something like "....and to provide a cheap and plentyful supply of food and fiber to the American people...."

Nice to see something work to perfection! (from consumers viewpoint, anyhow) The cheapest, best food in the world. And it's structured so that most farmers cannot farm w/o the 'program'----which has kept--until lately---feed grains cheap----which is--if you think about it--an indirect subsidy to cattlemen. Historically--corn goes up, feeders go down. Some kinda an anomoly going on currently----neighbor was offered 1.50 @ 600 for good string black strs yesterday.

I'm personally against all subsidies---but the 'decoupled' ones like england uses would also have to be eliminated to level the playing field.

As far as cows, I havn't had much luck:
I had a cow---no calf.
They said I need a bull.
Sold the cow.
Bought a bull.
Still no calf.

WYO HEELER said:
JF Ranch said:
WYO HEELER said:
Cowboy, Rancher, Farmer, Cowman, each have their own identifiying characteristics associated with their lifestyle, making the lifestyle what it is. Some are diehard _____________ (you fill in the blank), others would call themselves a blend. I know some darn good farmers, that farm to make money, that understand what it takes to make money farming. A handful of those guys are some of the smartest cowmen that I have ever been associated with. They understand what good cattle are, they uderstand genetics and they understand how to run those cattle. Kinda sounds like a rancher huh? My point in my rambling...some people believe that they are only a rancher, only a cowboy, only a farmer or only a cowman and nothing else. No problem with that in my opinion. There are those guys and gals that share some qualities from each, as in my example. No problem with those folks as well. Production agriculture needs all types, and all types share some association with each other at some point in the production process!

Not sure if that is a compliment or not, but I will take it as one! :D

Yes, I meant it as a compliment. I agree with your assessment.

Yet many call dairymen "dairy farmers". Guess it's because they not only own and milk cattle but often raise most of what they feed them. Doesn't seem to bother them at all. :wink:[/quote]

Good point!! Do you suppose it is because their cattle produce an actual product to sell? (I know calves are a product too but stick with me here) I know people around here that have sheep are also called "sheep farmers" is it because of the wool they sell?? Just curious? I do think you have a good point though! :)

Big Swede said:

Big Swede you have made a good point. I can say I know a few people that suffered some pretty signifigant loses in the past few years that were beyond their control. One gentleman I know had cattle in pretty rough canyons, they drifted shut and he couldn't get to them. Most of the people that I know that have taken advantage of the government programs just flat out didn't get stuff taken care of and were caught with their pants down. I even know a few that are just figuring on the programs so they don't do anything.

JF Ranch said:
WYO HEELER said:

I agree that was well stated. I think it's all about your geography and the natural resources available to you. In my area of southern ND we have a mix of good farmland and some native rangeland that is not fit to farm. The farmland gets farmed and the rangeland gets grazed because it is the most economical to so. I call that being diversified. I farm and ranch so in my opinion that makes me a farmer/rancher. I know people who always wear a cowboy hat, cowboy boots, wranglers, and a big belt buckle but do not own a cow or a horse, so does that make them a cowboy? If you are in the Nebraska sandhills or the mountains of Wyoming, raising cattle is probably your best option. But if you are in the Iowa cornbelt, raising cattle is likely not your most profitable option. However having a few cattle around to utilize your wasteland and crop residue is just good management. We all produce food so why not call everyone agricultural producers.

Is the consumer the recipient of subsidies when he gets cheap food because of the governmental control and subsidies it hands out in return for shackles?

Get rid of them all in every aspect of society, including the governmental shackles on society

In my country it's more a state of mind than a mode of dress or a stream of income-farmers tend to want change things to what they want-digging ditches. brushing trees etc most cowboys don't really mind that stuff so much. Farmers do like to hunt on cowboys land where the trees were left and the ditches weren't dug though lol. I seeded 40 acres of barley with hay under it in 1985 that took care of all the farming I ever wanted to do. I guess were lucky there are still people who enjoy growing crops I do like the odd slice of bread from time to time. To each their own I just don't like people applying the 'F' word to me lol.

I know nothing of farming, but not sure what title I would give myself. I would prefer cowman and steward of the land mixed with a good horseman as well. I did farm for a week when I was in college and I can tell you that I have never made that kind of money except for trimming horses again. I earned it for sure, but if I could average over $200 a day everyday, you could call me a farmer, an idiot, even a dirty SOB it wouldn't matter to me.

Latest posts