• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What do you know about this machinery?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Sitres 10-Wheel Rake and a 1160 Swing Tongue Hesston Pull-type swather~
Hoelsther Bale Accumulator.

We are changing our haying operation to much smaller (little small bales and less acreage)and this equipment is for sale, but we
don't know much about it. Good? Bad? Or Ugly? :D

Thanks!

FH....there's a reason they are referred to as "idiot cubes". ;-)

That being said, when I was going that route, I had a FarmHand accumulator and the FarmHand "8 pack" grapple on an old FarmHand F11 loader. I could take that loader and get quite a jag on a 30 foot trailer to haul to the 3 sided shed I stored the bales in. Stacked them in the shed with the loader as well. Saved a TON of hand labor, and was really nice if rain was threatening.

You should be fine. I ran a Hydra Swing swather a few times & hated it, cause we always had a self propelled machine. I like Hesston products. I always thought they were designed more simply than competitive brands, and therefore generally easier to work on.

Thanks loomixguy. We know all about idiot cubes. Ruined Mr. FH back because if he had a baler that made 80 lb bales he made 100# plus bales. He loved making 1000 bales and not breaking a bale.....but he has learned a lesson........these bales will be 50 to 60# bales to sell to horse people (I know, another story there). There is a Hesston dealer nearby so we have that covered as well,
He really didn't know about the bale accumulator and rake. Apparently no one else here does either. :)

I bet the accumulator & rake is OK. The only thing I ever did with mine was make sure it was greased. I did an African American rig on some worn sprockets by welding some very short pieces of angle iron on top of some horribly worn sprocket teeth and make sure the chains were in good shape.

Do a you tube search on the equipment in question and I'll bet there are some videos out there showing them in operation.

I made some hellacious dough selling grass idiot cubes to racing stables during their meets in Lincoln, but when that meet was discontinued, it ended. They only wanted twine tied bales, as they were not allowed to put baling wire in the trash dumpsters. They were all "nice people" cause they only paid with cash.

Sitrex makes different styles of rakes. Some are very good, and apparently some are very bad. Anyone I have talked to that has the kind that fold up high for transport say they regret owning them. The heavier styles seem to be very well received. We have a New Holland and I think it is a Sitrex with different paint and it seems like a good well built rake.

sitrex-carted-rake-1.jpg

Bad Sitrex. No personal experience with this type, folks that have them have told me they wish they had done something different.

V-rake_Magnum.bmp

Good Sitrex. This appears identical to the New Holland we have. Seems well made.

Wow, Mr. FH says "thanks, Silver."
I bet you saved us a headache.....the rake in question is the kind that folds up....so we will pass on it.
Appreciate your input. I told Mr. FH I bet someone here could help us out with some knowledge of the machinery we wondered about. :)
Your input too, loomixguy. I think the customers we have will be 'nice' cash customers. :) We have been advised to always get
cash from horse people. :D

Faster horses said:
You mean a Vermeer Twin Rake, BMR? They are REALLY nice but not what we need for the small acreage we will be haying.

Yea that was what I was thinking.

I'm kind of looking for a rake but with it being so dry I might not need to hay. :shock:

Talked to a neighbor who farms and he said he sprayed his winter wheat.....the cutworms had taken it....if it rains it will probably come back..........but right now it is REALLY dry. Here in SD we had 3-4" of a wet snow night before last. I am praying for rain for all the dry areas. It's been a long time since any measureable moisture, so every day is a day closer to rain. (or snow).

Looking on the bright side, it sure has been nice weather for calving. :D

Latest posts