• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What does it take to be a real cowboy?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Yup. Welcome aboard horses and dogs. Glad to have you~you can help keep us young! On the subject of cowboys, "I love 'em~ya gotta love 'em" and they are getting fewer and fewer.

When this subject first posted, I wanted to add something I have hanging in my house. Only, I couldnt' find it. It got taken down during my remodeling. Well, I found it and now I'm gonna post it here.

WHAT IS A COWBOY~

Between the security of childhood and the insecurity of a second childhood, we find that fascinating group of humanity called............."cowboys".

They come in assorted hat sizes, weights and stages of sobriety. They can be found in cities, towns, the wilderness, bars, jails, on the road, and always in debt.

A cowboy is laziness with a deck of cards, bravery with spurs, energy on a dance floor, a legend of the "old west" with a copy of Playboy, and seldom without a case of beer or a fifth of whiskey. He has the get-up-and-go of a turtle, the slyness of a fox, the brains of a dreamer, the stories of a sea captain. When he wants something, it's usually connected with horses or women.

Some of his likes are: women, beer, whiskey, horses, rodeo dances, more women, chewing tobacco and the smell of saddle leather.

His dislikes are: answering letters, his boss, officers of the law, and being told to take his hat off.

No one else can cram into one pocket a little black book, a photo of his best gal, a package of "red man" and what is left of last week's pay. He likes to spend some of his money on girls, some on poker, a lot on beer, some on shooting pool, and the rest on foolishness.................

A cowboy is a majestic creature. You can scratch him out of your phone book, but not out of your heart. You may want to give up on that bleary-eyed, good-for-nothing, long way from home, lover boy, but all your dreams become insignificant when a "cowboy" knocks at your door, looks at you with bloodshot eyes and says......."HI, BABE."

written by Bill Rehman and Mark Shurley

ropesanddogs said:
But all joking aside,I have seen more than plenty honest to god cowboys,that havent owned anything but a few horses,ropes and dogs.But,they make every dime they have cowboying.But then theres those that may have 200 head of momma cows,but never use a horse,only four wheelers and such,no offence to anyone,but I personally dont think theyre cowboys,i think the scale leans more twords being a farmer...I guess it all boils down to opinion.

Not sure if I did that whole quote thing right (first time).

Anyway, i'm not being sassy or anything but just rather bored, can't sleep and thought i'd throw my two cents out there. I guess I kinda disagree with what "ropesanddogs" wrote as far as people who use 4-wheelers are farmers!!! I understand its your opinon and thats fine. I grew up on a fairly large ranch in South Dakota and while growing up it was all horses mostly with the exception of a couple of 3-wheelers. (them things will kill you, rearing little buggers!) Anyway, as times progressed and people (my folks and grandpa) got older, 4-wheelers started showing up. My family now owns 3 of them and use the daily! Our ranch is rather spread out with 10 miles to some parts of it, so when it comes time for checking cattle on summer pasture, fencing, putting out mineral, checking bog along the Oahe, the 4-wheeler sure makes things easier. If you had to saddle a horse to ride down 3 times a day to check 400 head of cows during calving season in about a 1000 acre river break pasture you'd be horse back all day!!! No problem with that, i like horses like most of ya'll do, but leaves no time for anything else. With a 4-wheeler you can buzz down, check the pasture and be home in 2 hours (if no complications). So I dunno...i sure wouldn't say all people who use 4-wheelers are farmers!! I grew up in a family where "farmer" kinda put a sour taste in your mouth. No offense, but my family was ranchers and farmers and ranchers sometimes don't get along. Any farming we do is planted into alfalfa, grass, or oats or some grain to feed our replacement heifers and herd bulls we keep from our registered charolais bunch. I talk like I'm still on the ranch but now I"m in Texas exploring the world for a while. Anyway, i'm not meaning to step on any toes....just blabbering on....take care.

TXTibbs said:
Ok, um...well its pretty obvious that I totally screwed up the whole "Quote" thing!

Don't think you messed up anything!! We were totally cowboy until we had some wrecks. It isn't that WE have changed things, it is the "public" who has changed things by winning frivial lawsuits.

My aching bones proves the point. The "real" cowboy will NEVER complain about his aches and pains, but will die a "COWBOY" because he is the absolute "hard case". Don't know how else to explain him in these days.

Faster horses---LOVED your last posting on cowboys.....gonna have to see if i can get my archaic printer to work....either that or go back to good old-fashioned pen and paper :shock: :shock: anyway, it really hit the spot...thanks a bunch :D

Small time. Go back and read what I posted before. And also, everyone is entitled to their opinion. They may be wrong, but they are entitled to that opinion! :lol:

And "cowboy" is an action word. "I can cowboy, I have cowboy'd. I will cowboy".

A rancher can be a cowboy and a cowboy can be a rancher. 8)

Sure lots of fun stuff on this thread. Goes to show that what constitutes "cowboy" has diffrent strokes for diffrent folks!

Sadly, there was quite a bit of the usual envy of those who own land and glorifying those who don't make enough to live on.

There is nothing inherently wrong in barely making it on ranching when one is so determined to do what he loves best.

By the same token, the people who make a decent living should not be denigrated or put down as smalltime did stating "ranchers own the land and cattle. Cowboys do the work." I know at least one who owns the land and cattle who would resent your words very much, suffering as he is from long days, short nights, and others on the ranch needing to be away for a few days! Serious pain cannot stop the calves from being assisted into this world and getting their tags applied, and yearlings and cows getting fed, all achieved with the aid of good horses and old tractors, BTW.

One thing I believe very strongly is that being a "real" cowboy, or rancher for that matter, has very much to do with being a good person and very little to do with how much money, land, or cattle one has, or the gender of the person.

MRJ

There are good "cowboys" who don't have the skills to manage a ranch. There are good ranch managers who don't have the skills to be good "cowboys". Fortunate are the people who can do both.

Thanks for the welcomes.Tibbs,i understand what you mean about four wheelers,but i dont understand bothering with them,if youre still going to have to go saddle up a horse and rope a heilfer having trouble calving.Its kind of like one or two boys where i was raised (around Waco) that had some yearlins turned out,so they tried checking them on four wheeler,well,after they found a sick one they had to go saddle a horse and catch the calf still...And before the argument comes up about roping off of a 4 wheeler,i have it covered,point A,theyre not made for being roped off of,point B,its wayy more dangerous than a good stout horse,and point C,theyre not as easily moved through bad terrain as a horse..Yeah,i understand about the not getting along with farmers,I get along fine,because i also get rid of their wild hog problems,but i dont nessicarily enjoy working for them,what with the giving every spoiled old cow a name,and "just letting old bertha go" if she dosent go to the pen right away.It gets my blood boiling,let me put a few leapord dogs in berthas face,she'll pen just fine.And then theres the not getting cattle stirred up,ok,i understand it to a point,but when you have to whisper,and move slowly,and not make eye contact with the cattle (yes this really goes on)I really get to questioning why im there. .The reason I put someone who uses a 4 wheeler more than a horse is because all of the farmers around here do.Besides,when was the last time you saw a picture of an old time cowboy riding a four wheeler?It just dosent fit IMHO.And im not talking about ranchers,theyre a whole nother breed ;) Im just a hired hand,i get paid to go spend all day long horseback checking calving cows,and ridin yearlins.Thats what i do.Today i went and worked a set of Registered Santa Gertrudis cattle in Schulenburg ,Texas,and he insisted i need not bring my horse or dogs,his words were "oh ill have every one of them penned when you get here." We pull up and there's two pair standing in a 5 acre trap,and the rest are in the lot,when asked why they arent penned,he said,"they wont come to cubes,and i cant catch them with the Gator,I guess ill have to get a dart gun since i havent been able to work her in three years."That is a big reason why i dont enjoy working for local farmers,they seem to hate the idea of an honest to goodness cowboy,they rather dart and old cow,or chase them with a Gator,than simply let the dogs bay and move her,or worst comes to worst,simply tie on,drag her in a trailor and take her to the pens.Sure,i might still be out there,instead of being home early at 2:00 in the afternoon,but i just really dont enjoy it,which is what its all about to me,sure,i make money,but if youre in the cattle buisness trying to make money,youre either a trader :wink: or youre plumb dim.Lol,my toes werent stepped on,and i didnt take offence,and i hope you dont either,Im just trying to share info.

You might be sharing info, but some of your remarks are a little biased, to say the least. Question, if you don't like working for these guys, why do it? You come across as being a hard-working young man, but you sure complain alot about some of the work you do. From now on, maybe you should be a little choosier so you don't have to stress yourself out working for us so-called farmers. Which, by the way I'm one of. And I'm proud to say almost every one of our cows has a name and knows it. And they are easy to work with, if they're used to human contact and have been taught to know what a pail means or some other bait for that matter! We have a 420 acre pasture that is not accessible by truck, but we can catch them cows any time because they come when they're called. Sure, I may not be a "cowboy" but we all have our different ways of doing things that work for each of us, whether it be on horseback, four-wheeler, or on foot! I like watching cowboys work, but I'm not cut out to be one. First, I'd have to know how to ride a horse!

I'm terribly pissed ropesanddogs!!!!!!

LOL...joking...I'm not mad at all. I understand totally....people are different and situations are different where ever you go. And i don't mean for this to step on any toes either, but since I've been in Texas i've realized one thing (in my opinion). See growing up and stuff I'd hear about Texas and I always thought it was big ranch, cowboy, western type country! Well since I've been here I realize that South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, western Nebraska and North Dakota are way more "cowboy" or western than Texas. That really surprised me. I guess it has something to do with the 23+ Million People living here!!!! LOL The people down here just seem to have a different mind set and opinion of things...which is fine. I don't agree with them, they don't have to agree with me!

I'll agree with you when it comes to ropin on a 4-wheeler. I'll admit, I've done it but its rather tricky! Generally I was riding and someone else was driving. Amazing one or both of us weren't killed at some point.

Damn, I'd like to go hog hunting with dogs sometime....invite me down!! Ha Ha....didn't do much "hog" hunting in South Dakota!! The cold winters up there would snuff them out. The cold is good for something....it holds back the migration of killer bees, mesquite and those nasty hogs and javlinas.

It was mostly the coyotes I enjoyed hunting.....calling, trapping, snaring....pretty much any method possible.

I gotta go.

I understand my opinoins are biased,but thats all they are,opinons,and i didnt mean to imply all farmers everywhere,there are some farmers i really enjoy working with,but,some of the local farmers,seem to almost have a pejeduce against cowboys,i still work for them,because theyre good people,sure i may not agree with what they do,but should i ignore them because of that,i dont think i should.And i honestly dont think i have complained alot,beings as i have only said one thing about working for them.But hey,if thats what you consider alot,then thats fine.I am only giving you my honest opion,I cant garantee that everyone will like it,and im not neseccarily going to skate around it to keep everyone happy,because there is no real reason for anyone to get mad at my posts.And dont take this the wrong way,its sheer curiousity,i promise,but what on earth is so thick in a 420 acre pasture that you cant get a truck into,but can still run cattle on?Texas has its fare share of thickets,but we've always been at least able to get the truck in the gate and park.Im sorry if you were offended by my last post ,it was not intentional.

What's a cowboy??? Right now he's wearing a seeds 2000 cap, Can if pushed throw a pretty mean lope over any bovins head. Can see a sick calf or cow quicker than most, Can remember who's calf is what and who's related to who. Can remember six cows numbers that have calved an hour later, to write down in the book at the house. Doesn't think himself as a cowboy. Has never NOT gotten the job done.

Hey Tibbs,yeah,Texas has some big ranches,but for the most part,there are a bunch of small places with cattle and they dont employ too many hands,which is what created day work,people can only hire ya when they need ya,and a lucky few make a living out of it.One thing is for sure,there is no such thing as monotony being a day hand.Last wednesday we went to Eagle Lake tx,and caught a set of brangus cows,and let me tell you,they would not stop and bay for anything,and to them old cows,a pack of lep. dogs caught from nose to tail,was just jewelry,one of the old cows,busted a brand new fence,go out on highway 90,and finally bayed under and old ladies carport where we roped her,and drug her in a trailer.I know that story may seem hard to swallow,but i swear its all the Gospel.So I guess thats one advantage to being a day hand....Id love for you to come hunt with us,we usually take a few Leapord ,hound cross dogs,and a bulldog or two,and a knife.Strictly no guns,because the last thing we need is an accidentaly shot dog.The houndXlep dogs find and bay hogs,and the bulldogs run in and grab an ear,with me,and whoever else feels like tagging along,hot on their tails,then we just put the knife where youd put a bullet,right behind the shoulder blade,and voila,youve just killed some of the best pork you'll ever eat. Check this site out,theres alot of good people here,that hunt way more than i do,and are probobly much closer. http://boards.tx-outdoors.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

It's not what's so thick, it's ALOT of water! Runs all the way from one end of the pasture to the other. You can only get to the corral with truck and trailer when it's been dry a spell, or you aren't leaving if you do go in when it's wet. Nine times out of ten, those cows are as far away from the corral as possible, if you're there to catch something, and to get to the corral, you have to go across the water. So we do it on foot. Our cows have no use for dogs, horses, or four-wheelers. You have to have well-trained cows to follow all the way back there, but they do. Every year, I put a few new ones in there, so the old ones can teach them the routine, so when they're gone out of the herd, there's always some new experienced ones to take the lead.

Sorry to bite your head off, I've been hearing farmer cracks all day. I guess you were one too many. I apologize.

Well hell,you need to get in touch with my coon assed cousins from louisiana,they can hook you up with a fan boat ;) im tellin you,you'll never look at water the same way.Dont worry about "biting my head off" lol.I dont take it to heart,i understand how everyone can have their bad days...

dogsandropes or is it ropesanddogs,

haha...i am to lazy to click the back button to see for sure! anyway....

I wanna go hog hunting!!!!!!!!

You keep mentioning Lepord dogs? What exactly is the breeding here? I know what your talking about, I can picture them in my head, but what is there breed?

Bull dogs? The short stumpy slow fat waddling loking bull dog that I know? I can't see a bull dog hold a 400 pound hampshire by the ear!! I'm not calling you a liar, but damn i'd love to see it! Seriously!!!!

My family is big into hunting. Brother is going black bear huntin this fall at my cousins in Wisconsin. Texas is like a mini Africa, but its a joke. You drive out rattle a feed bucket shoot the one you want and go home. I'm talking about the exotics. If i'm gonna hunt elk i want to be in the mountains of Montana or the Black Hills of South Dakota, not in some "farmers" (LOL) 200 acre "elk trap". But I guess if you want a black buck or an Axis, its cheaper to rattle the feed bucket than it is to fly half way across the country. Why i brought this up i dunno.

Its 12:53 and I get up in 5 hours....why am I not in bed?

later

Everyone has a different definition of a cowboy. My theory is: You know (not think) you are a cowboy and you know within one minute of meeting someone if they are a cowboy (man or woman).

koj, Well said. I'm from Iowa and I get such a charge of some in my state that try to be, act, or dress like a cowboy. There isn't many that do but they stick out like a sore thumb. LOL To me, a cowboy is what he or she is, from what's inside. It is just plain bred in their genes.

Latest posts