• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What gun would you pick?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
My daughter is thinking about a new hunting rifle. Since she has the biggest deer on the wall and has taken them with my old 30-30 Marlin I don't think she needs anymore advantage. :wink:
She is pretty well built so can handle a rifle well. We hunt mule deer and now will be entering the draw for both elk and moose since we have herd on the ranch. I was think of a 308 or maybe a 25 06.
Do you see anything on this list that you would recommend?
http://www.prairieguntraders.ca/index.php?pr=New_Centerfire

Those are two good choices. I would add a .270 and a 7mm Remington to a possibles list. It sounds like she can handle a rifle okay so a rifle she is comfortable shooting with will be more significant than any one caliber. Happy shopping and let us know what she chooses. Mel

I like my 7mm Mag. Lisa has one also. Hers is a Rugar M77, mine is a Savage 110. They shoot flat, and you can buy factory loads from 135 grain up to 200, I think. So far all I have ever shot through them are 120 grain reloads.
We also just bought Lisa a Savage Axis in the 223. More for packing in the pickup for shoot dogs. When I sighted it in, I was comfortable shooting it up to 250 yards. After that, I can't hit nuttin, with anything.

I would go with the .308.... Not only a hard hitting short action round that works well as a quick action lever, bolt, or auto-- but it has an option of bullet weights that work well for anything from coyotes to moose--- and since it is a NATO international round has a lot of cheap ammo available for varmint shooting and plinking..

I have a Browning BLR in .308 and love it...

And its a round where you can be hunting anywhere- and they probably have some ammo for sale behind the bar if you run out...

I don't know the size of your daughter- but if you're limited to those choices you might have her look at those Savage youths... May fit better than a gun built for a man size...

Also don't know much about those cheap Ruger American's-- but I have owned some nice Rugers-- and from what I've read- for the price- these aren't that bad of guns...
All depends on how much and what for you going to use them as to what you want to pay..

.243 is hard to beat and believe it or not, plenty big enough. Same case as the .308, just necked down to 6mm. Those 90-100 grain bullets are hard to beat.

Or maybe a .260. Just a .308 case necked to 6.5mm to maybe split the difference?

I was going to suggest a .270 but for elk/moose wouldn't the .308 be a good choice? Remington youth model or the CDL are great and they're short actions.What about the 7mm-08?
My bad it's the model seven CDL with the short action and I forgot about the short magnum calibers but in this light and short barreled rifle I bet the .300 short mag would kick like a mule!

A .270 put right behind the shoulder works pretty dang skippy. Maybe a tad small for moose, but if ya can kill em' with an arrow, a .270 will work too. My wife loves hers and it's what i shoot when i dont muzzy or archery hunt. Taken lots of elk with that caliber.

I was gonna make a snide comment about how "well built" your daughter was but decided i didnt want you stomping me into a puddle if i ever meet ya someday. :wink: :D :lol: :lol:

The construction of a chosen bullet is just as important (and maybe more so) as the cartridge caliber.

Takes a little heavier bullet jacket to penetrate in a shoulder shot.

My preference of shooting just above the heart and dislodging all the main arteries takes a more frangible projectile with enough bullet speed to precipitate maximum lethality.

Most bullet manufacturers have a recommended velocity for each of their bullets.

I likes me some Berger VLD's at 3200-3500+ fps. Usually DRT.

gcreekrch said:
.270 .308 or 7mm, I've had more dogs run off in the brush with our .243 than any other gun here.

Maybe you need to be shooting a "varmint" type bullet at those lighter weight targets?

Your problem is definitely not "gun caliber" oriented.

Triangle Bar said:
Get her a Savage Accu-Trigger in .270. Zero at 200 yards and she'll be able knock down anything including Sasquatch. :wink: :)

The .270 WSM is ballistically superior to the .270 Win and it comes in a short action.

Like about 300-400 fps superior.

Mike said:
gcreekrch said:
.270 .308 or 7mm, I've had more dogs run off in the brush with our .243 than any other gun here.

Maybe you need to be shooting a "varmint" type bullet at those lighter weight targets?

In my experience Mike I will argue the fact with you. I've used several different factory and handloads in this gun. It is one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot but the killing power isn't there. My 22-250 has accounted for more kills than any gun I own including moose, cariboo, deer and black bear. None of these bigger animals escaped either.

Having said that, I would not reccomend a 22-250 as a big game rifle to just anyone.

The Indians here kill a lot of moose with .22 Hornets. As they say, 1 shot, 1 cigarette, go dress 'im out.

gcreekrch said:
Mike said:
gcreekrch said:

In my experience Mike I will argue the fact with you. I've used several different factory and handloads in this gun. It is one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot but the killing power isn't there. My 22-250 has accounted for more kills than any gun I own including moose, cariboo, deer and black bear. None of these bigger animals escaped either.

Having said that, I would not reccomend a 22-250 as a big game rifle to just anyone.

The Indians here kill a lot of moose with .22 Hornets. As they say, 1 shot, 1 cigarette, go dress 'im out.

It has to be choice of bullets. There's no other explanation. None. The .243 has the velocity and the energy. There's nothing else needed that is lacking.

I too, shoot small calibers on these little whitetails and will vouch for the Hornet if placed correctly. Had a hunter just yesterday drop a buck DRT with a .204 Ruger and a 40 grainer.

Try other bullets on those dogs in the .243. The 58 grain V-Max will be deadly. I promise.

You should try my 22-250 Ackley which will push a 52 gr. bullet over 4,000 fps.

Pick the right bullet for what you're shooting. It's as important as the gun caliber.

savage lady hunter under specialty guns http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

in 7-08 of course :wink: :wink:

also under axis look at the youth muddy girl :lol:
do a trigger replacment with a rifle basix and it might be kinda cool,at least you wouldn't be borrowing her gun :wink:

in 7-08 of course :lol:

hayguy said:
savage lady hunter under specialty guns http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

in 7-08 of course :wink: :wink:

also under axis look at the youth muddy girl :lol:
do a trigger replacment with a rifle basix and it might be kinda cool,at least you wouldn't be borrowing her gun :wink:

in 7-08 of course :lol:

I agree. It's a good cartridge. Don't think it kicks less than the others though. It doesn't.
Could be a little light for Moose though.

The Savage Lady Hunter is a real sweet little gun!

I've always preferred the 30.06, works on anything and has the widest selection of lead available from 110 to 220 grain. But I bought my wife a 7mm.08 a few years ago and I have to say that it is quite a gun. I dumped an elk at 298 yds with it just like I was shooting a .300 win mag.
It's junior sized so it's easy to handle in the brush, and surprisingly nice to shoulder.

Latest posts