• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What hunting dog would you recommend for the ranch?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
Lots of quail and doves and native pigeons though I guess I'm most interested in the quail. They're a tad smaller than bobwhites but obviously very closely related so I suspect they'd hold to flush as opposed to running constantly like blue quail.

I was thinking a German Shorthair might be the best bet......close-working generally, good retrievers, good coat for this climate, etc.

What say you guys?

1232550737_predator20duck20hunt1.gif

i seen one of my favorite weiner dogs jump about 4 or 5 feet to catch a sparrow.alot of dogs can be trained to hunt,i know a guy that favors his smaller dogs to make just as good as hunters as the larger ones.and make good all around hunters.

Get a pointing Lab. They hunt quail just fine and they are a heck of a lot easier to deal with than a GSP.

Nicer dogs too.

3waycross said:
Get a pointing Lab. They hunt quail just fine and they are a heck of a lot easier to deal with than a GSP.

Nicer dogs too.

I'm curious why people think GSP are harder to deal with than say a lab.
Granted iam biased but GSP's are no more work than other sporting breeds

ML

I have owned 3 GSP's 2 were just kinda nuts. The 3rd one bit everyone she ever hunted with. She ain't biting anyone anymore.

Many years ago I had two GSP. One didn't hunt well and became a dog that was .... just there. The other....I had friends that would come over...just to hunt with that dog. One of the best hunting dogs I ever had. He found the birds and held point. His one bad trait, he seem to intimidate other dogs, not a growl or anything, but another male dog would try and fight him, and always...always my dog wump the living crap out of the other one.

I believe every breed can have a few bad apples. Just as every breed needs exercise. GSP's are high energy and may need more than others or they will get bored and can be destructive.

I can't imagine having any other breed. Rex is great hunter, that loves to be around people and play.

FWIW my inlaws have a retarded lab, probably due to excessive line breeding. Dumber than a box of rocks i tell ya!

ML

GSP or Pointer, both are great dogs. Good and bad dogs in all breeds for sure. Just make sure you get a pup and raise it the way you want. Keep us posted.

I grew up with several breeds. I like shorthairs the best. It is amazing how strong peoples convictions are regarding hunting dog breeds. :)

I think pointers overall may have better noses, but are much harder headed.

I hear some say GSP may not have as good of a nose. This may or may not be. I have had some that were phenomenal- possibly luck?

But, I do not think there is a breed that wants to please an owner more than GSP. For me the easiest to train. But I love spending time with them.

Labs can be very loyal dogs as well, but I worry about their stamina a little more than some of the other breeds- they are just a bigger, blockier shaped dog. Some worry about their noses being not as good as pointer breeds.

I'm not big on the spaniels coats getting burs caught in them all the time. Being honest, I am not convinced they are as tough on the whole.

You can have nuts in any breed. Have seen absolutely crazy Labs, Brit Spaniels, Pointers and Shorthairs.

Good hunting dogs can also make good pets. You and they are better off when they are well bonded to you. Kids won't ruin them either. If you've owned one before, this goes without saying. If not, I'll mention that all of them need time and room to run. And protect them from themselves- they will chew up anything!

Overall, like cattle breed discussions here- there are good and bad individuals in each breed and making a decision only on breed may not pan out well.

This is my baby- during our trip to Kansas last year. Around a year of age.
Sage2.jpg

She and I limited out on public land in less than an hour. That was fun!
Sage.jpg
[/img]

Nice pics and good advice, thanks! I hope make it to the states soon and when returning here hope to have a new pup in tow. :D

Latest posts