• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What is an annoyance that Ranchers have to deal with everyday?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Young Buck

Reaction score
What is a small annoyance that ranchers deal with every day?

Things that those who are not in the ranching community wouldn't know and normally don't get the opportunity to hear it.

Daylight Savings Time annoys about everyone, but ranchers have to cope with a bunch of cows that think that you forgot how to tell time! When cows are annoyed, they find ways to show you. "The cows are out"! or "The cows broke in the stack yard!"

People who insist that we are spreading carcinogens and hormones throughout the food chain and are destroying our planet via deforestation and methane. All I ever intended to do is convert grass and sunshine into healthy, high quality protein for folks!

Don't get me started on Wolf and Grizzly Bear enthusiasts!

Mud!!! Drought!! Seems like now a days, it is always one or the other!

Last edited:
Snow getting down into my boots, haven't learned yet how to stay on the trail:)

Speaking of annoyances. I was watching the Denver stock show and rodeo and I never saw him. It is winter so he should be wearing a felt hat.
One of my old rodeo buddy's passed me on the freeway yesterday. I didn't recognize him. He wasn't wearing a cowboy hat. He had a Stormy Kromer on. I guess that is what real cowboys wear this time of the year.

Stuff on my place doesn't really bother me much. Remember that old Wilf Carter song "You'll get used to it"?
Scares me that I can't do as much as I want to do physically. I'm not leaving my place alive if I can help it.
I need my cows ,horses. I can't leave here.

Well, I never thought of urban team ropers as a small annoyance. They were more of a major annoyance :ROFLMAO:
At first, I thought that stupid questions might be a SMALL annoyance, but on second thought realized they were a big annoyance.

Having established that ranchers that allow small things to annoy them, quickly become not ranchers, I wish to share a story about one of my great aunties, a lifelong southwest Texas rancher. Some thought she was easily annoyed, but I disagree. Being part American Indian, she had rules of conduct that seemed extreme to some, especially young "cowboys" and she was labeled as easily annoyed.

When you entered her front door there was an area with several pegs for hanging hats. When young grandson Dan brought his new rodeo buddy over for a homemade ice cream social, the young man failed to remove his hat. He could easily see all others hatless with their hats on the pegs. I was trying to signal to this cowboy to remove his new hat that had just come out of the box. Even an old weathered hat was never worn past that checkpoint, not by anyone that cared about their hat anyway.

He was purposely trying to draw attention to his new "cowboy" hat. Well, auntie came in and in one quick backhand sent his hat flying across the room. She then went over picked it up, beat it across her knees as the lad gasped, and said that his hat was new and 20X beaver. She then took it to the hot water soapy filled kitchen sink and worked it around in there for a bit and then we all followed her into the backyard where she beat it unmerciful against a tree, then we all followed her to her garden where she had piled some fresh manure.

After tossing it in the manure and using the rounded handle end of a 5 prong manure fork to work it around a bit, she retrieves it takes it over to the hose, and washes it off. We all noticed it looked a bit "under the weather." A few more slaps to the knees and she hands it back to the guest cowboy and says, "You got robbed young man, that dadblamed hat is all Japanese felt."

Last edited:

Latest posts