• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What is it??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Heel Fly

Reaction score
Ok I know what I was told but who knows the truth what really makes the noise that a gelding makes when trotting. Come on FH I know you know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They ALL (male horses) make that noise!!! Geldings, stallions, colts...
Whether they're clean or dirty down there.

Found a pretty humorous link on "Cleaning"...
http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthSheathCleaning.shtml

One of those noises that made Grandpa blush, when Mom suggested he put some Boxers on his horse, to "Confine" the loose parts making all that racket!

:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Airspace in the sheath.
The air will vary depending on the degree of retraction and according to the amount of tension in the horse's stifle, belly and flank area.
Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.
Its a good indicator of when your horse is under tension or when he's not.
The more tension the more noise, relaxed-- no noise.

I know this is an older topic but I was reading my may issue of equus and they have a short about this so I thought I would come share what they had to print....Some horsepeople call it "squeaking". Others refer to it as the "gelding grunt". Whatever name it goes by, the noise that male horses make from their nether regions as they trot can be annoying and even embarrassing for their riders. But It's only air.
A diaphragm of muscles normally holds the equine penis in place when it is retracted into the sheath. A variety of factors - the tone and tension of the muscles, the way the penis moves in response to the horse's motion - combine to force air into and out of a small opening in the diaphragm. When the air movement is sufficently powerful,usually at the trot, a distinct, reedy, almost musical sound can be produced.
Why some horses squeak and other don't is unclear. Nor is there a why an individual may make the sound only occasionally. Some believe that a tense horse produces more noise, but others point to very mellow fellows who squeak. There is also a popular and unproven theory that horses gelded far before puberty - at about 15-20 months of age- have less penile mass and squeak less. In addition, It's a common misconception that a squeaking gelding needs his sheath cleaned.(Equus mag. may issue 2007 page 29)

Latest posts