• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What is one of your best childhood memories?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
Since Mother's Day is next Sunday, lets take a moment to reflect on the fond memories we have shared with our mothers as a tribute to them. :wink:

What is one of the best memories that you have of your mother?

P.S. I will revisit this thread to add my own story very soon.

sweetbasil said:
What is one of the best memories that you have of your mother.

The fact that from the day I was born- til I was 16 years old she was always there working with us- working cows, gardening, farming- chasing us kids...

Until my Dads Service Connected Military disabilities (New Guinea and Phillippine campaigns- 163rd Rifle Brigade of the 41st Infantry) got so bad she had to move to town with him to help care for him closer to medical help... And she stayed with him and cared for him (Til Death Do Us Part)-- until those disabilites finally took his life........ :D

I did the same for her years later when both crippling artheritis and a stroke disabled her.... She got to die on her "home place" .....

I can remember getting up every morning and bottle feeding the baby calves. Not just one or two but sometimes 60 or better. We raised all the babies for a local dairy here that leased some of our corn ground. Momma was the best I ever seen at raising them and not loosing many at all. She raised them until she got sick the first time and couldn't physically do it anymore. I can remember carrying bottles, jugs of milk, sacks of feed and 5 gal bucket of water up to our second barn daily. I can still see her with a 5 gal bucket full of water in each hand going up the hill and me trying to tote one behind her.

Oldtimer we done the same for mom here she died at home as she had wished. A long battle with cancer and a death at an early age of 54. But she instilled a will to survive and a love of the land and animals in me that to this day burns strong. My only thoughts these days are goin to see her again because I know where she resides now and I will see her again!!

Mom was a "city" girl from Ontario that ended up on her honeymoon living on a ranch in remote southern Saskatchewan. The first winter they lived on a place 12 miles from town accessible only by team and sleigh. She wasn't the best cook as her folks owned a store so she worked there and her G'ma that lived with them did most of the cooking. Well Mom over came that and was one of the best cooks in the area. Her cinnamon buns and pies and butter tarts were pretty popular with the hired men and round up crews. We used to ship cattle by train from Big Beaver so we would gather cattle and trail them to town and then sort, weigh and load the train. Mom always had good meals every step of the way. Our kids just love her Cinnamon Buns and stopped there just about every night getting off the school bus.
Mom will be 90 this fall still living here on the ranch. Some days are a bit of a struggle as her memory is playing tricks on her but Dad, Tam and I are right here. :)

LRAF said:
I can remember getting up every morning and bottle feeding the baby calves. Not just one or two but sometimes 60 or better. We raised all the babies for a local dairy here that leased some of our corn ground. Momma was the best I ever seen at raising them and not loosing many at all. She raised them until she got sick the first time and couldn't physically do it anymore. I can remember carrying bottles, jugs of milk, sacks of feed and 5 gal bucket of water up to our second barn daily. I can still see her with a 5 gal bucket full of water in each hand going up the hill and me trying to tote one behind her.

Oldtimer we done the same for mom here she died at home as she had wished. A long battle with cancer and a death at an early age of 54. But she instilled a will to survive and a love of the land and animals in me that to this day burns strong. My only thoughts these days are goin to see her again because I know where she resides now and I will see her again!!

Hi "LRAF,"
What an inspiring story of your mother you shared with us. You will see her again one day.

There is Rest in Heaven

I grew up in the 1930's and 1940's. My mother was a homemaker. there were not many so called working Moms then.
My mother was always there for us, to encourage and help us over the rough spots, She was always concerned when we were sick or just downhearted. In spite of the times my mother always prepared good tasty and nutritious meals for us. She some how knew about balanced diets, vitamins etc. She often said a good meal should contain something green or something yellow.
My mother baked her own bread on a coal burning kitchen range, often using corn cobs for fuel. When my brother and I were to small to help, she would help Dad with the milking in the mornings, then come in and put together our school lunches, and at the same time prepare breakfast.
She always seen that we had clean clothes and everything we needed.

In trying to think of things we did together, one thing I came up with was the spring she got my brother and I involved in planting a flower garden. This was just afer the drougth years. Together we planted Zinnias, Marigolds, and Morning glories on the east and south side of the house, perhaps other too. We planted Moss Roses on a tire from a wagon wheel.
I believe some of the seed was from some we had collected the fall before.

My mother lived for her house plants, her flower garden, and the vegetable garden, She enjoyed picking the cucumbers and the ripe tomatoes and bringing then to the house. She always had house plant on her window sills, geraniums, Begonias, Oxellas and others. during the winer she would take them out of the window at night and cover them with a blanket so they wouldn't freeze, we often said she was putting her flowers to bed.

There are so many things we take for granted about our mothers, that is is hard to sort out just one special time.

I am so grateful to be able to read your inspirational childhood memories. I look forward to reading more as we approach Mother's Day.

P.S. I have been very busy this whole week trying to be flexible to accommodate my teacher's last minute changes to the curriculum, studying for my midterm next Monday, and doing research in reverse logistics and sustainability for a project due in June. :!:

I WAS 10 YEARS OLD AND MY FAMILY WENT CAMPING AT THE BASE OF MOUNT ST HELENS (WAYYYYY BEFORE SHE BLEW HER TOP)...IT WAS SO DARNED COLD OUTSIDE THAT WE ALL SLEPT FULLY CLOTHED (RIGHT DOWN TO LONG JOHNS, SOCKS, SHOES AND STOCKING CAPS) AND COVERED IN EVERY BLANKET WE HAD!! WELL....EACH TIME THE TENT WOULD GET QUIET ENOUGH FOR MY FAMILY (MOM, DAD, SIS AND MYSELF) TO DOZE OFF, MY DEAR DAD WOULD HOLLER OUT "JESUS! I'M COLD!!" AND WOULD HAVE ALL OF US IN TEARS OF LAUGHTER!!! THIS WENT ON MOST OF THE NIGHT DESPITE MY MOM'S PROTESTS OF "DAMMIT, ERNIE....SHUT UP AND LET THE GIRLS GET SOME SLEEP!!"! LORD, HOW I MISS THAT MAN!! HE WAS THE KIND WHO DID NOT GIVE A RIP WHAT A FOOL HE MADE OUTTA HIMSELF, AS LONG AS IT MADE HIS KIDS LAUGH!!! TRULY, ONE OF A KIND!! RIP, DAD!!!

One of my best childhood memories is when my mother and I took a roadtrip along the Oregon coast. First we went to see my grandma in Alameda before taking off from her house.

As we traveled along the Highway 101, I noted Oregon's natural beauty; the trees were just so green and fresh looking. I was so excited that my mother had assigned me the role of "co-pilot" and took the opportunity to teach me how to read maps. We stopped at a few places along the highway to see the ocean and its surroundings. We visited Medford, Florence, Eugene, and other towns. What makes this experience memorable is that my mother and I laughed so much throughout our trip, we made it a goal to especially visit many different bakeries as possible and we stopped to explored Oregon's well-known bookstore, Powells, where I picked several books for myself. I am so fortunate to have a mother who is very kind, loving, and with a great sense of humor. She has that magic spark that people feel comfortable and laugh.

I am truly grateful for everyone who have taken the time to share with us your special moments in your life. I am honored to learn about that special person in your life.

Latest posts